Notices

Class of July 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-14-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Waking up on day 2...feeling pretty good. I slept fairly well...glad to hear you did as well, Camino!!!! It is amazing!!

Welcome back Susie and givingitup.....glad you're here.

Welcome also to green thumb.....

I also would go to various liquor stores, but then I would forget which days I was at which stores!! I'm in NY so you cannot buy wine in a supermarket. My liquor stores were very strategically planned, until I was too drunk to remember...

It is amazing how alcohol does age us....I feel and look horrible!!

I have had several years of sobriety in the past and I know how great that can be...I just have to remember that when I want to drink.

Have a great day everyone xo
Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi

I've been on and off this site for so long and am still struggling. No sooner does Venuscat post a milestone list with me reaching a week, I then blow it.

So here I am again, joining the July group. xx
Old 07-14-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Hi

I've been on and off this site for so long and am still struggling. No sooner does Venuscat post a milestone list with me reaching a week, I then blow it.

Welcome back SA! I'm rejoining with you! As long as we never give up, we'll make it!
Old 07-14-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

I've just finished work, eaten and am now heading off soberly to bed.

In all honesty I almost caved and drank. It's wickedly humid here and I was exhausted during work. Those were going to be my excuses. In the last hour of work I felt 80%\20% that I would drink. I guess that the thing that got me through was the experience of being here before.

I knew that if I just waited the cravings would pass. I knew that if I had my, generally healthy, evening meal the cravings would pass. And I knew that by jumping on here the cravings would pass.

And the cravings have indeed passed and I'll wake up tomorrow pleased with myself. I also know that, at least for me, the cravings become less intense after the first week(end). Next time the battle won't be so tough.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome StartAnew

That was pretty much how I got started Midton...little ripples make big waves...

D
Old 07-14-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Bib

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I've just finished work, eaten and am now heading off soberly to bed.
Boooooom midton!!! Going to bed sober is everything. I'm not counting days because whatever number it is going to bed (and waking up) sober is a privilege.

It's 3pm here so a way to go but nobody is going to force the drink in my hand. Im going to get there though and the weekend can look after itself
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Talking

Good morning cyber friends! I'm on day 14 today. The longest I have gone in almost 3 years without a drink and so far no cravings (I'm on day ten of non-smoking...and I can't say the same about those cravings). I quit smoking because every time I lit a smoke I wanted a beer. I saw a film that said that those who continue to smoke after getting into recovery, and said especially alcohol, had an 80% greater chance of relapse than those who never smoked or gave it up when they gave up alcohol. I threw my 1/2 pack out the window on the way home from group after seeing that film. Bought some lozenges. I'm down to 2 lozenges a day. I haven't had any yet today and I've been up 4 hours.

It's going to be a fabulous weekend. I feel almost euphoric (though I've heard that is common right before you hit a wall...I'm going to pretend I don't know that).

Today is pedicure day in 3.5 hours!!! I wore a pretty skirt and sandals today. (I haven't worn sandals in over 3 years, nor had a pedicure because you know, a pedicure is the price of a 12 pack or 2 packs of cigarettes).
Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good Morning to you all.
So I am starting day three alcohol free. I have been feeling a huge feeling of depression and a feeling of sadness.
Not sure where this is all coming from. I just need to stick around sober to figure it out.
So just wanted to checking and say I am still here.

Have a good day all!

asixstringnut
Old 07-14-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Checking in- day 12 and I made it through the day yesterday which I was pretty worried about. I'm picking my older kids (11 & 9) up from grandma's in a couple of hours, and then our family is heading out camping for the weekend. I'm really looking forward to the getaway and just being in nature. My husband doesn't drink so there will be no alcohol around, in the middle of the woods!

I'm slowly starting to feel more and more alive every day. I've had a few days of what felt like releasing a lot of repressed emotions that I'd been just stuffing and stuffing down over the years. So, emotionally I've been a bit of a roller coaster, (for me SUPER weird since I almost never allow myself to cry or really express any negative emotion).

Anyway, I'll take that over waking up hungover and full of shame any day. I hope you all have a great weekend- won't be able to check in until Monday. I just keep telling myself, we NEVER have to go through this again!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Morning' all!

Welcome to the new folks, and congrats to those who went to bed, and woke up, sober! Such a great feeling: clear head and no guilt.

Made it through Day 1 -- wasn't really that tough for me, as I've done one-, or two- (sometimes up to 4-) day sobriety ventures multiple times. It's when I get to a week that I fall off. Usually something at work and/or home that say: "You can only have one; it'll make you feel better." LIAR.

We'll do it!
Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

New

Hi, today is day two for me. Feeling horrible. I can't believe the size of the "pity party" I'm having in my head today. Pathetic heh.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Hi

Me too! Have lied to myself for three more years! Now I just have to find the willpower to get out of bed and get through day two.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Day 5. Well, yesterday was a tough one, but got through it sober and feel great today. I'm just wondering if anybody has had this experience. Yesterday, there was no booze in the lake house and I was feeling miserable and sorry for myself. Then my husband brought the bottles back in from his shed where he had hidden them from me last weekend and I felt way better. Like a huge relief just knowing that they're here. I wanted a drink so bad when I knew I couldn't have one because there wasn't anything and now I don't even remotely want one now that I know it's here if I did. Does that make sense?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hello all. Day 6 here. Going to go to an AA meeting in a bit to listen and just be around others like me. (I never share ). It helps me feel better that I'm not alone at times. Welcome to our newbies and congrats to those with day's racking up. Stay sober this weekend people!!! We need numbers in our class!!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Good afternoon July'ers,

This must be the time of day on Fridays that I give my self permission to drink for the weekend because I never drink during, work but I am having some sever cravings.

I have a pretty busy weekend planned so I probably wont check in with you guys again until Monday morning. Have an enjoyable and sober weekend my friends

Day 5
Old 07-14-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Alrighty then!

Day 9, but I could feel inside, on a Friday night, that I was
subconsciously planning a relapse, that relief that we all
know, but is so temporary - and does such damage.

So thanks to you all for your posts! They have reminded me
of all of the positives - feeling good in the morning, going to
bed sober, looking better, saving money, really living your life.

You have inspired me to not even think about drinking tonight!

(I am a June joiner and had a couple of good runs there, BTW....)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Nearly at the end of day 9. Feel completely exhausted today, not sure if I'm ill or just my body adjusting. I'm going to get an early night and then I have work over the weekend so I'll just have to push through and hope it goes away.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
On Monday, which was day 2 for me, I went to my local convenience store, the one I buy my alcohol from. I was strangely excited about going up to the register with my ice creams (sans alcohol) and presenting them to the friendly girl who always serves me. I was going to non-verbally shout "hey, look I'm a normal person, not an alcoholic. See, no alcohol in my basket today. I don't buy alcohol every day, nope, not me". Imagine my shock when it was a completely different girl serving. Ruined my ice cream, almost.
Ha! I thought exactly the same thing yesterday. I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things after work - and I just picked up the things I needed. No plastic jug of vodka to be ashamed of - it was a pretty good feeling.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobLobLaw View Post
Ha! I thought exactly the same thing yesterday. I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things after work - and I just picked up the things I needed. No plastic jug of vodka to be ashamed of - it was a pretty good feeling.
There is an advantage of being in a state where wine/spirits are NOT sold in most grocery stores. And there's little that draws me down the aisle where the beer is stored. (I'll take every advantage I can get!)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Bib

So that's me done, reading in bed and sober. Love it, sleep will come and if not i don't give because I'll just be tired tomorrow, NOT drunk or hungover. Sleep rather than passing out is bliss

My skin is terrribe. Worse than as a spotty teenager. Embarrassing but even that shows the crap going about my body is coming out

Night night, sober night 👍