Notices

Class of July 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm struggling with stopping drinking once again. I was hoping to get some support and join your group. Do you mind if I jump in?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Welcome Lily X
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Good to meet ya Lily! Welcome.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Hidey ho neighbors. Four years ago when I quit smoking I found an online forum that helped tremendously. So today, on day two, I thought I would see if there was something similar for drinking, and there you were.

My struggle with alcohol has been on going for about 15 years. Periods have been controlled and others not so much. At times drinking as many as 30 beers a week(IPA's not that sissy bud light crap). I frequently go a few days without drinking so I don't expect any physical withdrawal symptoms, but I do know this will be a very difficult task.

Part of me thinks quitting drinking will be far easier than cigarettes because drinking only consumes a few hours of the day where cigarettes consumed all waking hours. On the flip side, smoking is no longer socially acceptable so everyone was supportive and failing would have brought a lot of shame. With drinking, not only is is acceptable in most crowds, it is often encouraged. After all, it's always more fun to drink with others.

I have a few reasons for quitting. 1) I sleep much better after a few days of not drinking. 2) Until this year I was an avid runner. It has become difficult to do with the extra 30 pounds I am now carrying due to increased beer consumption. Its not only the extra 5,000 calories a week i'm drinking, my brain associates alcohol and crappy food. I do not have one without the other. 3) Overall I feel much better after a couple weeks without alcohol. It's time to accept that I will never be able to control drinking for long periods of time and just give it up.

I am not going to change a whole lot right now. I will abstain from drinking, try to not eat an excessive amount of food (also will not be restricting) and will do my best to get out for a walk or hike a couple times a week.

Ok, enough babbling

Day 2
Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
Hidey ho neighbors. Four years ago when I quit smoking I found an online forum that helped tremendously. So today, on day two, I thought I would see if there was something similar for drinking, and there you were.

My struggle with alcohol has been on going for about 15 years. Periods have been controlled and others not so much. At times drinking as many as 30 beers a week(IPA's not that sissy bud light crap). I frequently go a few days without drinking so I don't expect any physical withdrawal symptoms, but I do know this will be a very difficult task.

Part of me thinks quitting drinking will be far easier than cigarettes because drinking only consumes a few hours of the day where cigarettes consumed all waking hours. On the flip side, smoking is no longer socially acceptable so everyone was supportive and failing would have brought a lot of shame. With drinking, not only is is acceptable in most crowds, it is often encouraged. After all, it's always more fun to drink with others.

I have a few reasons for quitting. 1) I sleep much better after a few days of not drinking. 2) Until this year I was an avid runner. It has become difficult to do with the extra 30 pounds I am now carrying due to increased beer consumption. Its not only the extra 5,000 calories a week i'm drinking, my brain associates alcohol and crappy food. I do not have one without the other. 3) Overall I feel much better after a couple weeks without alcohol. It's time to accept that I will never be able to control drinking for long periods of time and just give it up.

I am not going to change a whole lot right now. I will abstain from drinking, try to not eat an excessive amount of food (also will not be restricting) and will do my best to get out for a walk or hike a couple times a week.

Ok, enough babbling

Day 2
Hi there, glad you found SR. You will have a ton of support here. I'm a music lover and was wondering who the picture is in picture?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Ok, enough babbling

Day 2
Duh Jimmy Page?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Day 10. Still plodding through.

Well done to all the others still notching up the days.

Good luck to all those who are starting over again. Try and try again and keep going.

Welcome to all the newbies who have joined over the last couple of days. You are in the right place.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Duh Jimmy Page?
The one and only
Old 07-11-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubbs16 View Post
Argill, so sorry about the loss of your dog. My first lived to 14, we had to put him down. I still miss him.
Thanks Stubbs. Our guy (seen in my avatar) was just shy of 14 (tomorrow would have been his 14th birthday). It's like the grief is so overwhelming that if I let the emotional door open even slightly I get this flood of sorrow that I feel like I can't handle.

Though I know I need to let myself cry because crying really does help. Actually, last night I did have myself a good, sober cry after watching the very sweet Netflix movie titled "Okja." (Most of my crying over the years—or expression of most any other strong emotion—has been under the influence.)

What prompted the tears was this short classical music piece that played during the end credit roll (the feel-good movie had already put me into a sentimental mood). I've never really gotten into classical, but this piece, at that moment, sent hot tears cascading down my face. I love that music can be such a touchstone to emotion. In fact, if I hadn't have heard that piece, I would have just felt sad, but not moved to really let my emotions out.

Morals of this short vignette: 1) sober cry better than drunk cry because you actually experience the emotion and feel better afterwards, rather than regretting slobbery drunk cry. 2) Listen to more music.

Stubbs, you and I are on Day 2 (as well as I think a few others here?). I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with wd's today. You can get through them, I know it. Let's make it to Day 3.

sunshine, I'm sorry your trip got cut short; that sucks! I'll personally come down and take care of your dogs next time...but I am glad that you got to experience Beantown.

Susiegirl, I'm impressed at how you've not picked up even though you are having difficulties with your daughter. To me, that shows how committed you are to staying sober. Keep up the great work.

Congratulations to others who are into or nearly into double digits or beyond! And welcome to those like me who are just starting back and want to find the path for a better life for ourselves.

I'm feeling that sort of disconnect again today. No alcohol in the house, but may be checking in later if I start getting an urge.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

No sleep last night, two glasses of wine at lunch today, slept for 4 hours and now awake. Disappointed in myself but still determined to stop drinking.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Day 4. Plodding along.

Recently it's been so humid I've been using the air con while sleeping, something I never do. It's caused me to get a sore throat and generally feeling poor. Woke up this morning and immediately thought I'd drank. Never been so happy to realise I was just sick.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Still here. But on Day 3. Fell off on July 4th of course. Today's a new day. I can't let my depression get me this time. I gotta stay vigilant and keep busy with Church. AA meetings. Gym. Here. And just surrounding myself with Better people... I will get 5 months back and more. I know I can do it if I stay busy.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Just created my account, so my first post here. I’m on my day 1 and it’s been alright. I have never made the actual decision to go completely sober, but this morning I had some sort of moment of clarity, as corny as that sounds. I felt sick and tired of my life revolving around this damn liquid and realised that I actually can’t stop, even though I’ve always lied to myself that I could stop at anytime if I wanted to. I’m fairly young, in my early twenties and this has already hurt my relationships with friends and family, my education and overall life quality. But it’s not too late.

I’m kinda scared about going cold turkey, since I don’t know if I’ll have some sort of withdrawals or worse. Last time I stopped for a few days (4 I think?) was in March I was fine, just sleeping problems and anxiety. Also been maybe 1 day every week that I have not had a drink. In January after an incident I switched from vodka to wine, and have been downing a bottle or a bottle and a half a night.

So, let’s see how this goes… Stay strong guys x
Old 07-11-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back CAGY. What do you think keeps dragging you back to drinking?

Hi and welcome Bel - I had a moment of clarity too - nothing corny about it in my opinion

Glad you're here
Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Ok, enough babbling

Day 2
Welcome! Luv, luv, luv that song,your user name. Houses of the holy! One of my fav groups. Good to have you here.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Still here. But on Day 3. Fell off on July 4th of course. Today's a new day. I can't let my depression get me this time. I gotta stay vigilant and keep busy with Church. AA meetings. Gym. Here. And just surrounding myself with Better people... I will get 5 months back and more. I know I can do it if I stay busy.
Good to see you again cute.Im glad u r here. We gotta keep going. ...
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bels View Post
Hey guys,

Just created my account, so my first post here. I’m on my day 1 and it’s been alright. I have never made the actual decision to go completely sober, but this morning I had some sort of moment of clarity, as corny as that sounds. I felt sick and tired of my life revolving around this damn liquid and realised that I actually can’t stop, even though I’ve always lied to myself that I could stop at anytime if I wanted to. I’m fairly young, in my early twenties and this has already hurt my relationships with friends and family, my education and overall life quality. But it’s not too late.

I’m kinda scared about going cold turkey, since I don’t know if I’ll have some sort of withdrawals or worse. Last time I stopped for a few days (4 I think?) was in March I was fine, just sleeping problems and anxiety. Also been maybe 1 day every week that I have not had a drink. In January after an incident I switched from vodka to wine, and have been downing a bottle or a bottle and a half a night.

So, let’s see how this goes… Stay strong guys x
Welcome Bels!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Ok, so my wd is pretty scary. Chest pain, palps, sweating. Kinda scared, but cant go to hospital, my insurance sucks since Bam Bam care screwed up alot of peoples private healthcare. My copay is 3000 , a person. So, I will ride this out, and pray. Its my own damn fault, the destruction Ive put upon myself. Gotta live with the consequences. Damn it AV!! Hate you. Getting freaked because I will be alone for the next week too. Anxiety is kicking in full force. Plus,I feel sooo fat! Because, I am. Gained 20 lbs in the last few years. Stupid beer, stupid me!!! Im so glad to write this out, I need to vent tonight. Pitiful.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back CAGY. What do you think keeps dragging you back to drinking?

Hi and welcome Bel - I had a moment of clarity too - nothing corny about it in my opinion

Glad you're here
Thanks Dee. I think its boredom and lack of "good" friends. When I got over 4 months I was really keeping busy with everything I listed. I had pretty much cut all of the activities out or stopped doing it as much for the most part.. I can't do that. I think thats what gets me lonely, depressed, bored etc.. Some other family health issues have contributed as well.. I really need to get back to where I was and I wasnt doing that this last time at all.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

7 days today and feeling better everyday.

Got a lot done at work today. Hit golf balls after work....feeling good right now.