Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 39

Old 06-28-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I love being here too. I missed you. I'm doing some soul searching and trying to understand why I run away from good things sometimes, and from good people. I'm very grateful for what I have.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm glad you feel grateful. That's so important.

So many emotions we feel. I understand completely.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I love being here too. I missed you. I'm doing some soul searching and trying to understand why I run away from good things sometimes, and from good people. I'm very grateful for what I have.
We are here for you, Briar.

Lean on us as much and as often as you need.

So wonderful to have you back.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers.

Pleasant dreams.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wishing Dee and PhoenixJ a great day
Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

❤️ Love ❤️ and Peace for all.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sobriety

Rocks
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nighty-night
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So happy to hear that the new position is freeing you up for some genuine Briar time! You are worthy and deserve every single good thing and good person that comes your way. I understand that it can be hard to receive though... another mysterious paradox of life and love, I guess. I so hope you'll have some cool views to share with us from your climbs!

Y'all make me smile ❤️
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thank you, Conquest, I find plenty of inspiration here. Here comes a long ass Briar story time I'm sure you all missed :

I'm seeing the importance of being part of a community that values recovery. I was feeling a bit lost at sea earlier this year, and I seriously considered drinking again. I acquired and threw away bottles of wine, going back and forth about whether I wanted to take the "easy" way out, obviously by making my life much harder. AV logic.

I wasn't valuing my recovery. It had become old news, the new normal, easy to undervalue. I wasn't getting any reinforcement from my support system because everyone has accepted that I don't drink, and it isn't a big deal to them. Which is beautiful in its own way, but when it wasn't a big deal anymore, it seemed to lose some of its importance. It was easy to take it for granted.

I didn't grasp this until today when I was on the phone with a lady from my employee benefits program. We were going over some health stuff, and she asked how much I drink. I told her I'm in recovery and have been sober for about two and a half years. She perked up and started carrying on about how I've done a very hard thing, I should be very proud, I should never minimize this accomplishment, and I have given myself and my family an incredible gift.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting all that! It really meant a lot to me. It struck me how important it was for me to hear that at this point in my journey, and how lucky I was to encounter someone who would give me the message. Weird how these things work.

From there I realized how important it is for me (and all of us) to be among a community where the value of recovery is never taken for granted. It is always present and always celebrated. I get it now.

So a big thanks to you guys, and to Mindy the benefits lady who benefited me more than she realized.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's a nice post Briar and a great reminder to start this day with a bit of gratitude.

Happy Thursday all.....and I think I see another Friday sparkling just around the bend.

Wishing each of you the best day.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Beautifully said, Briar! It is easy to take sobriety for granted. And I love that the words you needed to hear came suddenly from a surprising stranger.

I do declare today to be a day of "suddenly surprises"! Keeping my eyes and ears open ❤️
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So glad you had that convo, Briar. It's sometimes takes an a-ha moment to realize what you got. The good thing is we see them much better now we're sober. I have a long list of stuff like this to share at some point.

I learned early on the only way I was going to make it was to treat this thing as a blessing in disguise and embrace sobriety one hundred percent. It wasn't anything awful really. It was a new lease on life. A better one.

So, props to you! We're all special people in our own ways.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
So happy to hear that the new position is freeing you up for some genuine Briar time! You are worthy and deserve every single good thing and good person that comes your way. I understand that it can be hard to receive though... another mysterious paradox of life and love, I guess. I so hope you'll have some cool views to share with us from your climbs!

Y'all make me smile ❤️
Would love to see some views, Briar!!!! (Only taken when very safe to do so!!!!!!)

Hi, Conquest.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Thank you, Conquest, I find plenty of inspiration here. Here comes a long ass Briar story time I'm sure you all missed :

I'm seeing the importance of being part of a community that values recovery. I was feeling a bit lost at sea earlier this year, and I seriously considered drinking again. I acquired and threw away bottles of wine, going back and forth about whether I wanted to take the "easy" way out, obviously by making my life much harder. AV logic.

I wasn't valuing my recovery. It had become old news, the new normal, easy to undervalue. I wasn't getting any reinforcement from my support system because everyone has accepted that I don't drink, and it isn't a big deal to them. Which is beautiful in its own way, but when it wasn't a big deal anymore, it seemed to lose some of its importance. It was easy to take it for granted.

I didn't grasp this until today when I was on the phone with a lady from my employee benefits program. We were going over some health stuff, and she asked how much I drink. I told her I'm in recovery and have been sober for about two and a half years. She perked up and started carrying on about how I've done a very hard thing, I should be very proud, I should never minimize this accomplishment, and I have given myself and my family an incredible gift.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting all that! It really meant a lot to me. It struck me how important it was for me to hear that at this point in my journey, and how lucky I was to encounter someone who would give me the message. Weird how these things work.

From there I realized how important it is for me (and all of us) to be among a community where the value of recovery is never taken for granted. It is always present and always celebrated. I get it now.

So a big thanks to you guys, and to Mindy the benefits lady who benefited me more than she realized.
What a lovely post, Briar. Thank you.

That conversation must have been so uplifting.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
Beautifully said, Briar! It is easy to take sobriety for granted. And I love that the words you needed to hear came suddenly from a surprising stranger.

I do declare today to be a day of "suddenly surprises"! Keeping my eyes and ears open ❤️
My ears are open, too
Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
So glad you had that convo, Briar. It's sometimes takes an a-ha moment to realize what you got. The good thing is we see them much better now we're sober. I have a long list of stuff like this to share at some point.

I learned early on the only way I was going to make it was to treat this thing as a blessing in disguise and embrace sobriety one hundred percent. It wasn't anything awful really. It was a new lease on life. A better one.

So, props to you! We're all special people in our own ways.
Sober eyes and blessings in disguise - good stuff, Arbor.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello and love to all.

Be back later.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers.

Sleep well and pleasant dreams.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Have a very fine day, Dee and PhoenixJ.