Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 10

Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Just having a little think about how our old Mayfly friends are doing.....Eagle, Countrygal, Ben, Flossieteacake, Camery, Whiteturtle, Lonelywombat ........ makes you think sometimes doesnt it?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Good morning from a sunny Wales! Friday feeling yeah....

Sim, I hope you're day stayed good for you and you can have the same today.

Jo, I'm soooo pleased for you and your daughter, very inspiring for you both.

Have a great Friday everyone. 3 day weekend in the UK....Monday is a public holiday. And even better...everyone on the farm is out for harvest this weekend so I'll have loads of me time.....
Old 08-25-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

What is it with me and 5 a.m.? Most days, my first appointment is between 10:00 and noon; I think it's the call of the coffee pot - once the thought goes through my head, I'm up and stumbling for the kitchen, just a slave to my addiction. I'm reminded of a favorite scene from "Sister Act," when Whoopi is interviewing with the Mother Superior at the convent, played by Eileen Brennan. She pours coffee into a delicate little cup and saucer, gets a cigarette out of her desk, lights it, takes a long drag, and says, "God I love mornings!" Amen to that, Sister!

Yeah, I think about all those names too, Jo. I'd like to imagine they're all so successful with their new lives that they no longer need this forum...but I know when I disappeared from SR, it wasn't because I was doing so well...I'm eternally grateful that this site never goes away, even when I did. (Hi, Dee!! Thank you.)

Elke: I like to imagine Wales resembles my own little town in northern Michigan, surrounded by rolling hills and farms in all directions. My mother was born on a large dairy farm about eight miles away. We measure the summer here by how high the corn stalks are! A successful season means "knee-high by the Fourth of July," a phrase I grew up with...another fun fact: around here, the only reason to lock your car doors is to prevent someone from leaving a bag of surplus zucchini in your back seat...

T-Dad, Simplicity, Caramel:

Happy Friday, y'all...
Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

The early bird catches the worm Arp.... :-) or drinks the coffee in your case.
I'm an early riser....
You're right about the country side here, the weather is to rough for corn, the boys are on silage today. We have dairy farms around but here we have beef cows and sheep. I never lock my car and for some reason it give me a bit of feeling of freedom... I'm a towny by birth, used to work in London for years and moved here in 2012 and loving every minute of it. The closest decent shopping mal is over 2 hours drive from here :-) My sisters love shopping and can't understand why I live here :-)

Jo, it's nice to think of the original Mayflies gang and I hope they're doing well.
I also remember a few names from other classes I used to read in. Prayers to those who are struggling and hopefully, like Arp was saying, they will find their way back to SR.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

The Preseli Hills & Mountains | Explore Pembrokeshire
Old 08-25-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody

@Elke - do you speak Welsh? I had a manager on a ship I worked on who did, but she lamented that fewer and fewer people from Wales spoke it.

@Arp - the company I work for has small location in Farmington Hills and Buchanon.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 08-26-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, same to you :-)

Funny enough the first welsh word I learned was uchi da, which means 'cheers' when you drink ha ha... I started a Welsh course when I first moved here but didn't continue, was too busy drinking... you can go in one direction and no-one speaks Welsh and the other direction 10 miles away everyone speaks it. There are some 100% Welsh schools here but that must be hard going, doing math in Welsh, geepers. And when the kids come out of school all they do is speak English. Anyway when our building work is done I would like to have another go at it.

A Happy and Healthy Saturday everyone,
Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Folks!
Jo- A big congrats to Hannah! Math is not my thing sooooo I'm super impressed by her achievement and your capability to help her! Here in the US, at least in the PA school system....they've adopted "new math". Made trying to help my kids even harder as it made no sense to me whatsoever.....I mean what was the problem with the old way of multiplying and dividing?
Elke-Love the link..........looks sublime! Glad your getting some you time this weekend. I imagine farm life keeps you quite busy as there is always something to do!
Arp-knee high by the fourth of july is the saying here as well. I'm thinking we live in similar areas.....rolling hills and corn fields....everywhere.

I like y'all have thought of the former Mayflies many times....wishing them all well and like Arp, I like to believe their off living sober lives that are so full of life they just don't have time to post.

As for me, I've reconstructed my recovery plan and I'm keeping it simple. If something doesn't contribute to my overall health, wealth, or happiness; I'm out. Too much of my energy has been wasted on worry, things I can't change, and investing in people who are energy vampires. And when simples is worn down she looks for liquid relief. Time to invest in building me up again. I need to get strong, get some sober time under my belt, and shake off this depression! Another part of the plan is to not overextend myself. Does it need to be done? If not, it drops down the priority list to a want. If I get to it great, if I don't, oh well. It's back to basics here. Humbling.
Wishing y'all a great Saturday and a big hello to TD, Caramel, & Dee
Old 08-27-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday All! Got me some snuggle time with the granddaughters yesterday at a long overdue extended family get together! My mother's house was packed with nieces, nephews, and adults debating and talking over one another round the table-lol! Good stuff. Sometimes I like to just sit back and take it all in while thinking.....this is the beautiful, crazy, imperfect family I come from....and I love them all.
I'm getting the grandson this afternoon for a couple of hours and then grabbing a little downtime before it's back to the grind Monday morning.
Wishing y'all a great day!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Family! I'm headed to my dad's for "dinner" at 12:30, as the farmers and the elderly call "lunch." Dinner is midday; "supper" is in the evening. My sister will be there with her lover-man; he's okay, a little quiet, but that's better than drunk, abusive, and crazy, I reckon! She and I will be loud and amusing, as usual...we're definitely related...

Anybody else got Sunday Funday plans?

Peace, my Mayfly friends,
Arp
Old 08-28-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Morning all!
It's bank holiday here in the UK so an extra day off work although I am actually working so not quite the same!
Sim you sound strong girl! I like your plan / strategy it sounds nice and safe and protective of yourself. Being kind and loving probably comes so naturally that maybe you forget yourself too at times.....
Hey Elke it's sunny at last!!!! Well, you know, pretty nice till the next cloud comes over.... Got my washing hanging out its nice. 3 more days till the girls come back. They'll no doubt be starving and giddy as anything!
Can't say I'm proud of what I've "achieved" while they've been away which is a big fat zero. Talk about procrastination! Good God I've not even cooked properly for myself! Oh well the rest and quiet has done me good and I didn't drink so that it itself is quite an achievement. Got my first month back under my belt yippee!
Other half had a fair bit to drink yesterday. It wasn't necessarily going to be an issue but he was pretty drunk by early evening and got a bit gropey and tried to be "funny" a lot. Ugh! His comment about me "blotting out the sun" whilst getting ready for bed was the height of my annoyance and I went to bed in a bit of a strop. Plus I had to nip out for bread whilst he was at his peak of ughness and found my mind wandering to the booze isle......didn't do it but is was a trigger for sure.
Now he's shining his halo by doing chores etc. Ugh! I'm pleased I've got work to do as he is just generally being an irritation! I'd honestly rather be on my own today how bad is that?
Anyhoo.......mild rant over! All is well really I guess.
Lots of love from JoJo (aka grumpy pants today lol!)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

An awesome, sober weekend for everyone! Awesome!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Congrats to 1 month Jo Only 3 more sleeps and you have your girls back wooohoo

Sim, it sounds like you had a lovely family time. Living so far away from my family I miss it sometimes. Have to admit I'm a bit of a recluse and quite happy in my own company.

Arp, did you have a nice dinner. We have the same here with dinner and supper, I'm more a lunch and dinner person.

Hi Tootiesdad, you sound really happy :-)

Blimey, I just thought I heard the cuckoo calling...hee hee ... we were given a clock the other day, every top of the hour a different bird sings, really nice, what I didn't know was that my OH put it in the wardrobe, thought I was going mad....

Wishing you all a good sober Tuesday.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Thanks Elke! Yes I'm preparing myself for the girls coming back! Can't wait to give them massive hugs!
Hope everyone has a lovely day. Every day is a great day to be sober!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Ohhhh..."Other Half!" I puzzled over those initials for way too long: Old Husband? Odd Husband? Relationships are hard...

Happy Jo! A sober mother hen, preparing her nest for the return of her little chicks! Your drunk boyfriend story (sort of) made me chuckle: I have a best bud who drinks too much beer, who also thinks he's really funny when he's especially buzzed; you can tell because he laughs uproariously after every stupid thing he says, while those in attendance just look at him, blank faced and mildly irritated. I shudder to think how obnoxious I must have sounded while soused...

So grateful that those bad old days are behind us! Carry on, Mayflies...onward, upward, damn the torpedoes...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Oh yeah Arp looking back it is funny really! Plus he thinks he's some kind of sex god when drunk too! Good grief!
I am of course getting ready for my babies return! How did you guess lol! Their bedrooms are all clean and tidy with their favourite cuddly toys peeking out of the top of the duvet!
I do feel quite proud that I stayed sober while they've been away. A couple of little urges but nothing too nasty. Phew!
10 out of 10 for getting "other half" !!!!!! We'll make a Brit out of you yet Arp!
Lots of love guys
Old 08-29-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

A few phrases Brit men use for their wives just for you Arp:
1) Her indoors
2) Ball and chain
3) Bread knife (cockney rhyming slang)

All a bit outdated but they are odd creatures!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Odd husband is excellent Arp , it almost makes me want to be married to be able to say that , only joking my OH is great, I'm lucky...

I remember a funny story with acronyms. When I first came to the UK I was reading the Dating adds and everyone wrote GSOH and I thought it was something like the GCSEs which is a UK school qualification. It took me ages to find out what it stands for... do you know it Arp or would you like to have a guess... I can give you a little clue, you definitely have it, am I right Jo?

Sozzled is a good english word for being very drunk, not that we want to be sozzled, but I like the word. My most favorite word is Recovery....

I can picture your girls beds with the fav toys, that is sooo sweet. I bet they're looking forward to coming home to sober mummy. well done girl!

Hi Sim, Caramel, Dee and Tootiesdad, hope you're all well.

A good and sober Wednesday for us all X
Old 08-29-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Yes Elke Arp has a VGSOH!
Love the word recovery too sweetheart!