Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 59

Old 11-23-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone ~ You're the best!

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

My arthritis is acting up this morning but I have no hangover so on the balance life is pretty good. When you woke up with varying degrees of hangoverness (is that a word? lol) more often than not for as long as I did you really appreciate the clear head and calm stomach in the morning. I am thankful for this every day.

Hope you are all feeling the same this morning
Old 11-25-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

I hope everyone had a relaxing and wonderful holiday weekend. My weekend does not start till tomorrow, I am always a little behind the curve so to speak....

I know I am really lucky having a husband that does not drink, (much, 1 glass every 8 mths or so) and we do big socializers, (people must think we are boring,,,,) so drinking over the holiday is really low on my worry list. The worst enemy of that is myself, and I never needed the holidays as a reason or excuse to drink. The big temptation is all the deserts and breads that show up at work, I may have to find me a sponsor for that,,,,,,

Badge
Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Badge, if you can get away with it chew chewing gum at work. The thought of eating cake when you're chewing down on minty gum doesn't have the same temptation!

I hate that all the cakes and creams at Christmas time boast of their alcohol content! It's impossible to find a shop bought Christmas cake that doesn't have any in. I haven't made a cake for years as it is actually cheaper to buy, so I just don't indulge!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Hoe is everyone doing this week?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Doing okay, thanks Toots ~ AV gets playful with me sometimes so I thought I'd share......like it says "You'd better not get too much sober time, 'cause it'll be worse down the road when you do slip up" (Does that ever happen with anyone else?)

Kinda nervous about Christmas Eve 'cause I normally drink with family on that night.....better come up with a plan!
Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  
Living the life

Doing well thanks, Toots. How are you?

Purple I remember feeling that way sometimes. AV has some awfully sneaky tricks. You are right in coming up with a plan for Christmas Eve. That was a tricky one for me as well last year as it was my first time around "drinking buddy" family members since being sober. I had a couple of allies - Mr. Troy has always supported me in this - and my brother who is an occasional drinker helped to normalize the fact that I wasn't drinking (his wife is usually my partner in crime). Is there anyone you can bring on board ahead of time to help deflect the incessant "REALLY? You're NEVER going to drink again?!" questions? Even if not, try to remember that those questions are much more about the person asking than it is about you. They can't imagine not drinking anymore because it also has a good hold on them and they don't want to lose a drinking buddy. Hope that helps a little.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Yes my AV tried the “how perfect a glass of wine would go with thanksgiving dinner” route. It was close, hit while I was setting the table, took the entire dinner to shake it. So I know to be extra ready for Christmas.

Badge
Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

My sister and her daughter brought a box of Chardonnay to Thanksgiving dinner at my house. I put it exactly in the spot in my fridge where I used to keep my Chardonnay boxed wines. Chilled Chardonnay was definitely my wine bomb. It definitely brought up a few cravings and wishes for a glass. I have been struggling hard recently, due to many factors. Exhausted from work, depression due to seasonal changes, and I got swept up in the drama of a friend relapsing and not being able to help. I have been gliding through sobriety without much thought for a while and this has been a slap in the head for me and a reminder that I still have a ton of work to do on myself.

My advice to everyone here is to keep working on building a stronger foundation for your sobriety. This isn't a one year and done project. You need to keep working at things. Yes, the cravings wane and alcohol thoughts become less frequent and intense over time. But that urge to drink, unfortunately, will always be there somewhere in the back of the brain, waiting to pounce in a moment of weakness. Everyone here is doing an amazing job. Just remember to keep making your sobriety job one.

Keep looking to grow. Keep looking for new awakenings spiritually and emotionally and personally. Live your lives to the fullest now that you aren't simply living for the next drink. Just living a life not drinking is not living life.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Ugh. Box wine. Cheap wine. NOT a temptation.

Now a vintage champagne, or a Western Australian chardonnay, a good California Central Coast Nebbiolo that's 2008 or earlier....

I am serving the last of my wine collection and giving the rest away as Christmas presents.

Doing well this week. Studying hard for my real estate classes. Researching motorcycles, which I want to make as a new hobby. Seeing friends. Working out hard. Therapy today. Feeling good and strong.

Had a drinking dream last night, they do happen occasionally. In this one I did a shot, and immediately said "WTF are you doing?" and spit it out.

Closing in on seven months.

Life is good.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Great post Stargazer, just what I needed to hear/read. Lots of triggers for me right now, decorating for Christmas, getting the lights out, garlands strung. I associate all of these things with a glass of wine. Yes the wine came out of a box, it was just fine for me, besides boxes were easily destroyed and much easier to hide

Badge
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Great advice here, thanks everyone ~ I normally don't like to be a tattletale but I figured it's okay to tell on myself. Just thought I'd bring it up ahead of time before disaster strikes.....thanks again!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Great post Star, I feel the first year is about finding ways to not drink, from a year on, it's about finding out who we are sober.

Purp, some good advice here. I always think forewarned is forearmed, and knowing the events that have bigger triggers we can plan in advance.

Word of warning to all, don't relax too much after the big scares - that is often the time AV slips under the wire unexpectedly and catches us out. Praising ourselves on managing to survive, AV then tells us to celebrate our sobriety! ( yes you can not drink, so now you can have one!! Er, no AV! )

Mindful, I convinced myself that because I could afford decent alcohol, that I was an afficianado rather than a drunk. I wasn't, I was just a drunk with good taste and the pockets to afford it. I hate drinking dreams, they hit rarely now, thankfully, though still have the ability to discombobulate me for the whole day when they do. Seven months is great.

Have a great sober week.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Holidays are simply new milestones, new ways to build sober muscles. I think of how many weekends I've now spent sober, plus social events, BBQs, yardwork, leisure time ... At one point all these seemed insurmountable; today, not as much.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Amazing what we can achieve once we set our minds to it eh Rascal! Great going.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

This is my last night as a true Undie tonight
I'll be an Over when I'll wake up tomorrow morning.

This "One Year and Under Club" has been a very rich thread through the months for me.
Sincere thanks to all of you for your shared posts and precious advices.

Have a good weekend guys
Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Excellent work Koala👏
Old 12-01-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

We are so proud of you, CK! Congratulations!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Congrats CK on a great accomplishment!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Congrats CK!!

Thank you Rascal for the post, its what I needed to hear/read. This has always been a big drinking time for me, not the holiday parties, but the decorating, wrapping, things along that line. Which have always been done with a glass in hand, so I associate all with drinking. I think because of that i am having a hard time getting motivated to do the latter, I just sit and stare at the tree thinking it looks just fine without any decorations on it, just lights. Plus I absolutely hate putting the stuff away, so I know the more I drag out, the more work I make for myself,,,,,, such issues,,,,,sigh.

Badge