Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 59

Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I'm heading out to a works function this evening. It's a big celebration because we were judged to be an outstanding school by our inspectors. It is free flow alcohol. It is also a Friday evening, which is obviously prime unwinding time. I'm just eating and drinking plenty now before driving down there. For the first time in a long time it feels like I'm missing out tonight - but I will not drink.
I'll be very happy in the morning.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

RG I did my first sober tropical vacation earlier this year. I planned ahead and brought lots of distractions with books and podcasts and such. I also checked in here regularly. One thing that really helped me to stay sober was watching other folks carrying on. I was very grateful that it wasn't me! As a drinker you think everyone else is also drinking but once you go as a sober person and look around through clear eyes you notice that there are lots of other sober folk out there, and they are much easier to carry on a conversation with! I took lots of long walks as well which I'm sure helped. I really enjoyed the trip, and staying sober was much easier than I had anticipated. I did treat myself to two desserts with dinner each night - I figured I had saved up enough calories by not boozing all day Have a wonderful time!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

HaHa Toots!

Actually, I married my wife in Jamaica in 2006 and we have been going every year since. She is a normal drinker, but has cut way back now that I don't drink. She paid me the ultimate compliment last night and told me I was like a new man now that I was sober. I intend to stay that way too!

Helen, I remember reading about your vacation in my early days of sobriety and being impressed with your strength. Time for me to prove I can do it too!

Downthepath, I hope you enjoyed your party!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Good luck at the works event DTP. That’s a good idea having a decent meal before you go. Also, I understand the FOMO, but what are you missing really? A sore head and stomach the next morning, a wasted Saturday, worry about what you might have said to you colleagues the night before, general anxiety, etc, etc. Count me out😀 Oh, congrats on the outstanding evaluation. That’s something to be really proud of.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Thanks, Retired and Stronger. I really enjoyed the party. I had some interesting conversations with some colleagues and didn't feel like I was missing out at all. So happy to have driven there and back. It has really given me confidence that I can get through the festive season. The fact that you always need a drink in your hand at these things really helps me. I am constantly sipping water and getting well hydrated which completely heads off any cravings. I love that I am getting more hydrated whilst thinking that I would ordinarily be going in the opposite direction if I was drinking.
Goodnight.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

That's great to hear, DTP ~ and very encouraging for the rest of us ~ Nicely done!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Your "sober muscles" are getting bigger, DTP and that's a good thing!!

Congratulations
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

And now, the morning after, it just gets better...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Great post DTP thank you for sharing!

I am at 32 days and I had hoped the cravings would start to be less consuming, but this week has been rough, almost like the first week. Work has been stressful, no more so than usual though. I am thinking it is because I am starting to feel better, head is clearing, heart and BP getting back where they should be. So the the AV is using that as an excuse to have "just one". I have been coming to SR a lot more, actively leaving my wallet at home, drinking lots of water, etc Husband is gone until late tomorrow, which is another huge trigger i am fighting with at the moment, but this to shall pass.

congrats everyone on the milestones and achievements!

Badge
Old 11-11-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Badger you are doing all the right things. My hubby was away a lot giving me ample opportunity to 'get stuck in about one' ( have a drink or several) and certain milestones ( like one month CONGRATULATIONS BTW! ) do allow AV a chance to try to tempt us. You are so much better than that Badger, you will win this round too!

DTP, good one, I totally agree with Purp & RG .
Old 11-11-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Badger, remember every time the AV tempts you and you don't let the fool win, IT becomes weaker. Soon IT will hardly whimper!
Old 11-11-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Just got back from taking my kids to a Remembrance Sunday service at the war memorial monument here in Singapore. I have wanted to do it for the last 12 years but a 6:30 get up on a Sunday morning has always prevented me. Sunday morning follows Saturday night, after all.
It was very moving and has provoked some great conversation with my kids at a time that I would previously be sleeping a hangover off. Another reason to love my sobriety.
Have a great Sunday, all.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

That's wonderfull, downthepath. Are your kids younger or older? My 18 year old joined us but my 20 year old needed his beauty sleep.....
Old 11-11-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hey Dragon. The ones that I took with me were 5, 8 and 10. The 13 year old opted for beauty sleep, as did my wife.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Bless there little hearts for getting up so early....
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

It's good the young still want to know the history. Gives me confidence in the future.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hi

4th month

Feeling pretty solid.
The mindset from "I've quit drinking" to "I don't drink" really helps me

Lot of stress and things going wrong this week (I'm still locked into a Bitcoin trade that is haemorrhaging cash) but I have stayed off the booze

You all seem very posh (like a country club)

I went to Singapore a few times when I was in the navy - lovely intelligent people and wonderful things to buy. The entire place smelled beautiful (if I remember correctly)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Nice one redcardid! Keep up the good work😀 Day 70 (or 10 weeks) for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Posh??? Mwahhahahahaha! First time I've ever been called posh!! I think the only way I would be allowed in a country club would be through the back door and only to work! Isn't it funny though how we form impressions of each other from our cyber persona?
Sorry to hear about the Bitcoin issues, but good that you know drinking would never make a bad situation better. At least you are clear headed to confront whatever will happen Redcardid. Where abouts are you from? I hate not knowing what country or state a person lives! ( it's the nosy posh country club woman in me! )
Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Great going Stronger!