Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats from me too SG!

D
Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

800 that's a great round number SG! Congratulations!

I don't think any of us really know what recovery means to us until we begin the journey. Stopping drinking is only the first step on the long road of the rest of our life. It is only once we have stopped drinking, and begin to see both our selves and the world around us with clear eyes, begin to think with a clear mind and to allow ourselves to feel and develop, that life beyond alcohol kicks into gear.
At that point for me certainly, there was no closing my eyes and pretending it was the same life just without alcohol.
Life wasn't the same, I wasn't the same. And I couldn't be the same. Recovery is scary, but it is also a wonderous opportunity to begin anew. It is a life changing experience, and that is a gift. Very few people get the kind of life changing chances that we have. Oh, everyone can wake up one day and say "I'm going to live my life differently." But usually it takes a big thing like a major illness or loss to force someone to see their lives differently enough to notice it.
We have an incredible gift of a second chance, and it is wonderful here on SR, and specifically on this thread, to see so many grabbing that chance with both hands and making it count for them.

I am proud to know all of you, and to be a part in your personal challenges and growth.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hear Hear Toots! good post, thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Living the life

Great post Toots! Congrats SG on your 800 days
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Life wasn't the same, I wasn't the same. And I couldn't be the same. Recovery is scary, but it is also a wonderous opportunity to begin anew. It is a life changing experience, and that is a gift.
So true! I am definitely not the same person I was when I started this journey. It is scary! I am learning so much about myself!

I haven't been on SR as much lately because my husband picked up drinking after 3 months sober. It really threw me for a loop because I hadn't had to deal with any of that crazy stuff for so long it really overwhelmed me and made me kind of quiet... I had no thoughts about drinking myself though. I just had to deal with the feelings on my own and I did. I think he is getting back on track today.

I guess I am learning how to live life on life's terms.

Congratulation Stargazer! 800 days is amazing!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hey Overs! Got Billie's DNA results last Friday. She is 62.5% beagle, 25% chihuahua, and 12.5 % mixed breeds. It was a detailed report, went back to her great grandparents. Well worth the $80.

It is so cool to know her ancestry. She also tested normal for multi-drug sensitivity, whatever that is.

Two of my daughters recently did a DNA test but they didn't tell me what it said. Maybe I'm not their mother after all...

Just noticed I posted in the Unders, not Overs... oops!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thank you everyone!

Beautiful post Toots! You have the gift of being able to put to words thoughts that just bounce randomly around my head.

Midwest, sometimes just starting to punch out a message on SR can help me organize and evaluate my thinking, and I encourage you to actually post more often, and not go quiet during stressful times. I am sure that many of us here have been in your situation with a spouse or loved one and have ideas to share. Don't suffer in silence!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Midwest, I am so glad that your hubby's binge didn't trigger in you, for many that AV would be going h e double hockey sticks for leather. I'm glad you are able to deal with the emotions it caused, as SG says, there is always someone here to speak to. You can post on the friends and family thread too. If anyone understands how to manage your feelings living with an alcoholic they do.

Thanks SG - maybe I'll make a writer yet!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stargazer & Toots- thank you. I'll work on reaching out more during those times. I know that would be really helpful. That is a time when I should be posting more not less. I can see where that could lead to trouble for me.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

My alcoholic brain would always tell me "I got this" no matter what the situation.

I sometimes reflexively fall back into that way of thinking too if I'm not careful. I hope your husband can right himself and perhaps will be open to some frank conversation when he has sobered up a bit. Hoping for the best for the two of you!

Like Toots said, there is a whole world of SR here that I have barely explored in my time. There is some pretty powerful stuff in the Friends and Family forums.
Remember, this is a well trodden path that we are all on.

Have a great day all!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Stargazer! That is true. I haven't even scratched the surface on all the different forums on here.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

I'll be driving home from Mr. Troy's today after spending an extra night so that I could watch my stepson's baseball game. It's about a two and a half hour drive, perfect for listening to audio books.

I also have some food for thought for today's drive: I just heard a quote about how we don't protect our time the way we protect our property but time is the ultimate finite resource. The speaker went on to say that if someone built a fence in our backyard we would be up in arms but if they schedule a one hour meeting on a Wednesday afternoon we just click "accept". That will give me something to ponder!

Have a good one everyone
Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back midwest
interesting results least

D
Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey everybody. My AV was screaming at me today and the scary part is that I entertained it for a little. AV doesn't even say "just one," it knows I want to drink to get drunk. I'm on day 102 and can't let my guard down. As usual I played the tape forward and know it would be foolish to open that door again. FU AV!!
Old 06-27-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

great job playing the tape forward JCNY! Do you think maybe you were hungry or thirsty? That happens to me sometimes.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Midwest. I may have been a bit hungry and thirsty. I keep soda in the fridge because I find it helps fight urges. I thought about popping a root beer when I got home, but I was good by then.

Three months ago it felt like such a long journey to improve my life. I've got a ways to go, but there are so many positives. I'm down over 40 pounds and am living super healthy. I went through all my clothes and donated several bags today. There happened to be a guy at the bins loading everything on to a truck and I told him that I can't get fat again because here's all my clothes
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Well done JCNY!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well done on playing the tape forward JC.

Always remember HALTS hungry, angry, lonely, tired, stressed. All triggers.

Helen that is a thought provoking comment, I have much more freedom with my time now, so I am not as affected,but hubby is often challenged for his time.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

good lawd, day one .... another opportunity to excel .