Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 59

Old 08-26-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Barbs, thinking of you and hoping your visit with your son is putting your mind at rest. I'm sure he and your daughter will be appreciating the more thoughtful sober you. X
Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

My visit with my son and daughter was wonderful. He is recovering very nicely. He and his girlfriend will be flying out here in October for a visit and for some leaf peeping. I do need to work on my relationship with his girlfriend (most likely future wife). That is a situation I would have used alcohol to deal with. I need to find another way.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Barb, you both love your son so that's always a good place to start! It can be difficult loving a 'loved one's loved one!' Sometimes the best we can do is accept that our loved one has chosen them and that is what matters. Sometimes finding common interests can help. I am fortunate that my mil is a lovely woman who has always made me comfortable in her home. That said I met her son later in life, years after he had been seperated from his first wife.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So no that long ago, I bought myself a ukulele after months of messing about with a cheap one my son brought home. Now my daughter has picked up an interest in Ukulele. Difference is she can sing. It's so nice to see her coming out of the depression and anxiety. Right now she's sitting on the end of the bed with me teaching herself the cords to Colors by Halesy. She's still got a ways to go, but she's already come a long way. So proud.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Wonderful you can share the enjoyment of learning a new interest with your young daughter StDrag, might I suggest 'when I'm cleaning windows' by George Formby? ( depending on your age, you will probably need to google him, I'm not sure interest in his films travelled as far as Manitoba!) haha
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Lol, that wonderful stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmAeijj5cM
Old 08-29-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

another uke lover here

Old 08-30-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

lol, I like the gnome character on the tuba...
Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some pretty famous players in that band

D
Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Is that one of his 'Travelling Wilburys' get togethers Dee? I love the idea of a fluid band of like minded amazeball musicians that just drop into a slot on a tour whenever they have a bit of free time!

I think the 'gnome' was Noddy, looking a little older these days!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Toots

I think it's Noddy too

That was apparently around the time of his last album - but I think GH loved the mates approach ala Wilburys

I see Dave Edmunds and Jools Holland in there as well as Ray Cooper and Herbie Flowers - famous session guys.

D
Old 08-31-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hi all, hope you're doing well.

Today is my one year sober! I'm so proud of myself - and that's not a feeling I often have. It has been really really difficult at times and I do still have the occasional pang of "wouldn't a G&T in the sunshine be nice...", but I'm so grateful that I changed my attitude to alcohol before getting pregnant - otherwise, I know that I would just have been counting down the days until I could have a glass of wine and then the whole cycle would've started again.

The fact that I have now got through most major events without a drink feels really good - I've been sober at Christmas, Birthdays, holidays, BBQs, stressful times and happy times. And although I sometimes felt in the moment that I was missing out by not drinking alcohol, I've realised that my enjoyment of these events was massively enhanced by my sobriety overall rather than diminished. (Not least because I no longer have to face that icky feeling of "what did I do / say last night?" - which was so damaging to my self esteem). I feel more robust in general - less volatile and more able to face things.

This place has helped enormously - thank you! I'm not sure I'm ready to graduate to the one year and over thread quite yet (I still feel like a newbie), so is it OK to stick around here while I'm still "One"? xx
Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

A huge congratulations SomeSortOfHuman, big hug. I trust the pregnancy is going well? Is this your first?
Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Living the life

Congratulations SSOH - I am so happy for you!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats SSOH! One year is an amazing accomplishment. You now know that you can handle whatever the calendar throws at you!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

SSOH CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST SOBERVERSARY

There will always be a welcom in the Overs for you anytime, there are different situations in moving forward in sobriety that they have a wealth of experience with. That said, the Undies always benefit from the support and knowledge of those who have walked those first tentative steps.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I can remember the day I decided to get sober very clearly. I just felt so dreadful - I could hardly function and had been in the cycle of constant hangovers for months. I never want to feel like that again and looking back now, it seems insane and cruel that I was doing that to myself.

STDragon - yep, this is my first! All going well so far... Recently had scan and saw him moving around - which was incredible and very reassuring.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Happy ONE YEAR Soberversary, SSOH!!! That is so awesome! Very inspiring, thank you for sharing ~ and congrats on your little one!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Congrats SSOH! G&T was my favorite too, but isn't sober life way more awarding.? I am now addicted to raspberry flavored seltzer water.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Congrats SSOH!!!