Notices

I'm still a newcomer...

Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I'm still a newcomer...

Today marks 3409 in sobriety in which, to nobody else's surprise, except me of course, hey! I'm an 'alkie' what do you expect? Whilst I no longer struggle with alcohol although I hasten to add I'm ever conscious that it is 'cunning, baffling and powerful' - see 'Alcoholics Anonymous', I still struggle on a daily basis with my, note the word 'my' alcoholism... Recognising that whilst others may share their experience, strength and hope with you, sobriety is an individual responsibility,no one can do it for you...

All of which in real terms makes me realise, based on the fact that it's not the longevity of your sobriety but the quality of it, on a daily basis, backed up by this on p. 275 ' The Keys of The Kingdom' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed., ' A.A.is not a plan for recovery that can be over and done with. It is a way of life, and the challenge contained in its principles is great enough to keep any human being striving for as long as he lives.....'

Why didn't think of that before? Anyway back to reality or as close as I can get in sobriety, doh! I'm none to bright in certain areas of my life, ok. Which makes me effectively, still a newcomer with each day, keeping it simple as far away from my last drink as anyone else...it's not the days that have passed, it's the way I pass the days!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post (as usual). Today is 480 days for me- so next week is 16 mo- and I still call myself a newcomer! And I always will, so I look to those ahead of me who have what I want and keep going in my wonderful life of recovery. Wonderful because, yeah, it is pretty great, but also because it is REAL. And I have a way to handle the good and the bad, and I keep getting better at following it.

My very life is a gift after what I put myself through, and the quality- the width and breadth of it- is beyond a gift I can name.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being a newcomer with every new day makes stuff interesting red.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I like the new day...

I like the reference to the new day. There's a book,'The Broken Shore' by an Australian write Peter Temple, I think,I can always remember one of the characters in it, a 'swaggie' swagman) named Dave Rebb saying that every day you're alive is a good day.

It's always resonated with me, thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a fantastic post, thank you so much for this. Such a sense of humor about it all, which is what I need !! Thank you for this inspiration!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Oh yes!

Oh yes! A sense of humour, particularly in the ability to laugh at yourself, like a well placed apology, even when you're not at fault goes a long, long way....in anyone's recovery. Evidenced in the book 'My Mind is Out To Get Me' the wit and wisdom in recovery. A collection of 500 maxims and slogans used by AA members for AA members.

It is always worth remembering this Buddhist saying,'If your compassion does not include yourself, then it is incomplete'...just a thought.

Thank you for your response.