Notices

Class of June 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
So glad to see everyone here and posting in June..lets do this!!!
Okayyyy???????
Old 06-01-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi New Class!

I'm from the November 2017 thread and wanted to welcome you to this new thread. I have always found that the support threads like this are extremely helpful to me and for those of you here for your first time I hope you will find it the same

Look forward to seeing you all around the threads!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
So glad to see everyone here and posting in June..lets do this!!!
That's what I love about this place. We're all in it together, if you've been here for ten years or ten minutes, we have each other's backs.

Wish you all a great, happy, and sober, June.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Welcome all. SR was a game changer in my thinking. Post often- especially if you do not want to- it is a place to get support and share- the good and the not so good. It has helped me grow emotionally. Support to all. PJ
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I've been gone for a long time but I am back and I would love to share a sober summer with all of you! I am newly sober right now and the drink has been calling my name on and off all evening so I decided to jump into this class and ask for some support. I am so grateful for this website, it is always there when you need it.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey all,
I'm on day 2 and would like to join. Did well till payday last time. A warm welcome to everyone and looking forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome flying4life - good to see you
Welcome to you too sweetichick!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm back after another relapse this week. I've let my kids down and feel terrible again. I only stopped yesterday though and I know things get better with time. My thoughts yesterday telling me how terrible a person I am. I need to get myself straight and I think this time I need to reach out for help. I'm going to ring some local recovery services today. I obviously can't do this myself. I really didn't want to do that though. I know what problems it can cause with something like that on your record. I really don't fancy AA so I'm hoping it's something different.

I was aggressive (not physically) with my mum and partner apparently this time and they both said yesterday its like another person. My mum told me that person she was talking to wasn't her daughter. My OH said that it's like I save all the negative stuff and it comes out when I drink. I don't have much recollection of the last few days but everyone had to rally round and sort my kids out because I couldn't. Friends are noticing my absence as I spend a lot of time with them, my OH tries to make excuses but they are not stupid. I'm embarrassed, I don't want them to know how bad I am. Drinking morning to night. My last 2 sober stints were 68 and 42 days.

We had some bad news a couple of weeks ago but I thought I was dealing with it. I'm feeling really insecure with my work. I'm losing confidence in myself to make money (I'm self employed). It's like constant knocks for our family. We had a glimpse this year of what it's like to be normal but that's been taken away again.

Sorry ranting - I haven't got anyone else I can turn to. It helps just to say it out loud.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

CHARLIE- have you gone to meetings? They help- even if just for a connection.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Charlie

Guys I recommend everyone looks through this link on recovery plans - even if you've looked through it before.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I know it seems easier to just 'wing' things, but I think it's fair to say most of us are not great at improvising, at least in the beginning - we tend to meet a trigger, panic, return to default... and drink.

This is a great link on dealing with cravings too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

If you're not sure what a recovery plan is, I flesh it out a little more here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 06-02-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

No Phoenix I haven't. It's the one thing I would absolutely dread. No-one wants to have to go to a meeting and sit there and hi I'm Charlie and I'm an alcoholic I know that. I'm just hoping they can put me in touch with a councillor or something. Just someone who can listen I guess and help. I did try it before over 10 years ago and they weren't much help but I think things have changed since then. Also I'd be mortified if I saw anyone I knew there.

I know what happened on Sunday. We ended up the family and some friends at the pub. I was completely unprepared and didn't think twice about having a beer which turned into 2 which then went to wine. I should have known what would happen but it didn't even cross my mind to stop. Don't remember much of the following days after that.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The past is just that, the past. No we cannot completely pretend that it never happened but we all need to keep moving forward in our journey. Stay close to here, AA, your higher power, and whatever support you have and stay strong. I wish you all peace today as we all take this on one day at a time. Onward>
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Today is day one for me. A day late I know since it's June 2nd, but I'm committed to being sober the month of June. I keep messing up and need it to stick this time.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Charlie,
I've been there too! I'm struggling with going to a meeting myself. I would like to go at least once or twice, if nothing else to help me in my journey, listen to others talk about their experiences. I'm hoping I am not forced to talk myself. I know exactly what you're saying, but for me, there is still something pushing me to at least give it one shot. If I find it's not for me, I'll try something else.

However, I still haven't worked up the courage...

and good morning everyone! I'm on day 3. Had a craving last night (the only time I really get cravings) and I had some peanut m&ms and read some of the forum. This time the difference for me is I'm reading the forum with an attitude of "I'm not drinking tonight no matter what". Trying so hard for that to resonate in my brain.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

M & M's! Great!

Welcome to the new people - we are all troubled, that is why we are
here. Let's get control of it even if it means a little chocolate. For me
it is a little caramel swirl ice cream instead of a drink.

And every little tip like these can be trigger AWAY from the bad
triggers . . . so hang in there - it will come back, all of it, if we stick to it -
work, confidence, appearance, feeling good - and our kids - will come back.

Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Charlie,
I've been there too! I'm struggling with going to a meeting myself. I would like to go at least once or twice, if nothing else to help me in my journey, listen to others talk about their experiences. I'm hoping I am not forced to talk myself. I know exactly what you're saying, but for me, there is still something pushing me to at least give it one shot. If I find it's not for me, I'll try something else.

However, I still haven't worked up the courage...

and good morning everyone! I'm on day 3. Had a craving last night (the only time I really get cravings) and I had some peanut m&ms and read some of the forum. This time the difference for me is I'm reading the forum with an attitude of "I'm not drinking tonight no matter what". Trying so hard for that to resonate in my brain.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Well. I'm back again...believe I was part of the February 2017 class, but foolishly thought I could drink here and there an be alright. After a pretty terrible night, I'm back again and stopping for good. We all make mistakes, right?

Last night I went out drinking with a friend...only planned on having one or two (which I had been doing a nice job of lately). That didn't happen. Then I ended up not being able to say no to more booze and a joint after...I have a hard time saying no. I came home and drove my loving, caring, and incredible long time girlfriend crazy (as I have been lately). She's a big part of the reason I'm doing this. I made a list of reasons I want to do this...to be healthy. To be happy again. To be able to be the best employee I can be. To keep my family and girlfriend proud to be around me.

Tomorrow I go see my therapist and make a sobriety plan with her. I think it'll really help to have a plan in place so I, myself, and everyone around me can hold me more accountable. I also firmly believe I can do this.

I know when my Uncle quit he got big into seltzer waters in stuff in the evening to replace the drinking, so that's going to be part of my plan too. Anyone got recommendations for good flavors/brands haha?

It's nice to be back and really mean it. Let's make it through June everyone.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Well, this isn't much - but I always scoffed at Pelligrini, thinking it was
a stupid waste of money to import water from Italy, but it is actually
pretty amazing and a lot cheaper and healthier than most alcohol!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Perrier Lime is a fave of mine. If u can find it they have a goooood Watermelon one as well. Day 6 here. Welcome to all the new people. I was feeling the same way day 1 and 2. Stick to it and it will only get better. We got this. Stay close this weekend!!! Stay sober!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

When you get past day 1 or 2 and can start eating...EAT! It does help and odds are you need some nourishment. Stay strong everyone. Tonight I am seeing my Father in Law for the first time in about a year (my wife and I have been separated for about 7 months but we are "ok" and I do see her and the kids). This guy took up a lot of pages on my 4th step. I have to stay close to God and have my sponsor and be the better man. I know he is going to try and stir sh!t up. I'm not letting him throw me off track. I'll be there tonight for my daughter which is what it is about. Without my sobriety I have no family and I love my family despite this horrid disease and the unfortunate collateral damage it has caused.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Trapeze...stay strong. Inspiring to hear you know what you need to do to not regress when you're going to see someone you have a tough time with. Pulling through it for your daughter (and knowing that's why you should) is what it's all about. Keep it up.