Good afternoon Overs.

Congratulations, Rick and Mags,

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hope you are well, Andy.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hi all. MENS ONLY meeting today. Interesting. I shared about acceptance. The memories and flashback of THAT incident (burns) and the path of damage I left in my wake- reruns, that need to be addressed . Pain- emotional or physical is an indicator that there is work to be done for more healing to occur.
Hope all are okay.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

That's a really useful way to look at pain, PJ: it's not a curse, but rather the gateway to further growth, healing and wisdom.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I'm afraid that I don't believe the coroner's findings.
I know it sounds arrogant of me, but I just have a feeling they have this all wrong.
I was stunned to hear his last song he sang in Detroit was a cover of Led Zep's "In my Time of Dying."

Wow... He knew what he was going to do.

So sad to die so young.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Gilmer,
Yes I'm well, thank you. I hope you're well. You're obviously logging in okay now, did you find out why you had problems?

PJ - interesting thoughts on pain.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoenixj View Post
hi all. Mens only meeting today. Interesting. I shared about acceptance. The memories and flashback of that incident (burns) and the path of damage i left in my wake- reruns, that need to be addressed . Pain- emotional or physical is an indicator that there is work to be done for more healing to occur.
Hope all are okay.
(((PJ))) ♥

Sending you oodles of love.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I was stunned to hear his last song he sang in Detroit was a cover of Led Zep's "In my Time of Dying."

Wow... He knew what he was going to do.

So sad to die so young.
Really? I am still having a great deal of trouble wrapping my head around this. Sigh.

s

EDIT: I read up on it. Gosh this is just so sad....he was off his tree during that last performance.
Maybe this was all about not being able to get on top of this disease. I guess we'll never really know.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

to your lovely dad toots!!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

The site still logs me off a few times a day, but at least I'm logged back on later randomly.

Better 70% of the time than 0!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Magsie

Suze, how many have fell victim to death whilst 'out of their tree'. So sad.
I watched an Amy Winehouse documentary, leading up to her death and , most who knew her and many ordinary joes, (yes, I was one of them!) knew it was going to happen, just a matter of when. So many wanted to help her but I guess her AV got the better of her.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I'm grateful just to be here today. Thanks to all.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Eternal Now!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Andy,
Glad your doc reassured you about your stress induced vitals and metabolism.

PJ,
I too don’t hide my getting chemically dependent on two drugs, Ethanol and Nicotine, either. But you make a good point. Worse, many folks when faced with a person who is disfigured or in a wheel chair, or just old and waiting for their wife on a bench outside a store, look away and act as if the person was invisible and moves on.

I find that those people I would be inclined to not interact with can be more positive and cheerful in a friendly chat than the seemingly normal swarms around them. I was in my eye doc’s office yesterday and while I was waiting for my turn for contacts he was next to me in a wheel chair. I asked how he was doing and he said fine with big smile. It was obvious he was at least a para but more. He had minimal use of his right hand but could work the joystick. I asked him how he got paralyzed and he said he tripped on something and fell and never got up under his own power again. I was wowing and admired his chair which he seemed proud of too. We shook hands, really, and we both felt we had a bit of camaraderie in the course of an eye appointment. I was a medic in my first four years in the Air Force, age 18-24. You learn to separate the infirmity/deficits when being a friend, and provider. I worked the terminally ill ward as well and since families don’t want to talk about it, they really want to talk about their upcoming final event in their lives. Some were bitter and ugly to us, others made some peace with the world through us, all wish their families would have those last conversations and many right up to the end pretend they will recover. I was not personally involved except as a helper. I can no more blame the bitter as the inspirational with their courage and/or faith.

We shouldn’t shun the old, those with deficits, and the very ill. They never fail to teach us something by example. Like you sharing your story of getting on with your life and camaraderie. I think the reason many shun is that they find us a reminder of their own mortality. Be we a chemically dependent dude like me, or a burned chemically dependent one like you, we both are mortality reminders.

FBL,
How was the trip and the show? I think I missed it last night?

Sassy,
I’m with you on your expectations of our Suze in the counseling setting. I was near sighted and needed no readers until this surgery and then needed 2X readers, actually 1X on my left and 2x on my right. The doc just put in those powers and I now have better near vision, crisp and clear out to 8 feet or so. But I am back to where I was 15 years ago needing distance glasses to read street signs before I was too late to turn. It is terrible to have perfect far sight, and then perfect near sight but it appears I will have to make a choice. I believe today I will take the Laser correction of the astigmatism in my right eye (They fixed the left one with the cataracts) And see if I can read street signs. I think if I can have near vision perfect from about ten inches out to 10 feet and then just wear driving glasses like before. But since they now have inexpensive reading sunglasses and bifocal clear glasses with the readers and magnetic polarized sun glasses it might be smarter to just leave the perfect distance vision and only use readers. I am in the middle of making decisions that cannot be reversed. To be honest either way is fine but I don’t need prescription sunglasses if I go for the near vision, just readers. Yep you are fortunate as I am for having the insurance and the funds to get the deluxe surgeries out of pocket difference.

Suze,
Not familiar with Soundgarden. Our entertainers and idols are human but we don’t think so until they are gone. It is human to take for granted that which we have easily today.

RZ!
Hearing aids? I should probably get some soon too. I am getting tired too of all the mumbling going on these days. No one seems to speak out and up! That inner and outer ear infection last year took half of my hearing in my good ear. I bought some cheapies from Amazon for 20 bucks and need to try them to get an idea. ANTIQUE EAR TRUMPETS

Toots,
Glad you are feeling better. How’d the dental go?

FBL, yep I missed it.

Hi Dee!

Rick!
Thanks for the update! And congrats on resisting the urge. Trust me, even the urge when around others does away for many of us, myself included. I don’t survey what everyone is drinking anymore. Coke, beer, mixed, root beer, or my water and lime juice on ice no sugar, I don’t compare anymore or even notice. I do tell folks I drink like a fish before going out with a new couple. Then they wonder ar my only drinking water . . . There are also some flavored waters with no sweetener real or artificial in them that have the same feel as beer but without the alcohol and dehydration.
3.5 years is huge!
Welcome to the OFC! Enjoy!

Hi Gil, Star, Dee!

Amen Suze on the AV.

Sassy! I used to think the same things, about only returning to smoking in the shortest term. Ugh! I couldn’t any more. I like breathing without the wheezing , coughing, and throat clearing.

Mags,
Congrats!! 3 years and ten months is serious sobriety time.

Toots,
We had the same problem with our dad. In the last year he seemed to lose the ability to figure out how to put the ear speaker near his ear. Did no good to get him the expensive loud phone for the hearing-impaired either. Tell your grandson we wish him happy Birthday all the way from Louisiana with the swamps and alligators!

PJ,
Glad you are getting sorted with the help of our fellows in the rooms. I swapped my addiction to alcohol for sugar and gained way too much to lose easily now that I can get around better. Hope you cancel those reruns.

Mags, yes we have lost many caught “out.”

Hi EN!
Me too!

OK guys, sorry about the catchups (catsups?) between posts. Life has become too busy in retirement! My next up is wiring in the hub to my Ethernet WAN and setting up our smart home first three plugs and later once we see it works well, the rest. We got a bidet, and then an all in one seat and bidet that is yet to be installed. I am still diddling about copying all our travel videos and family ones to disk so they can then be moved to digital on my hard drives. Never mind the 300 vinyl albums I bought the digitizing turntable and DiscWasher system to copy direct to hard drive. Then there are the other half of the family photos to scan into the folders already half done. I am caught up on the last 100 or so of the now almost 4000 music CDs I get regularly at Goodwill, a second hand shop for the folks over there and down under.

The terrible tornados have been going North again thank goodness. Many lives lost and thousands homeless this year. All’s well in the deep South with occasional light rains and cooler weather in the 70s! Weird for here this time of year.

Found this, too ostentatious?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hearinghorn.jpg (16.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Good post, Itch. I found too- when an RN that the labels which follow people give others a reason to find comfort. My mum once told me when I was about 10- not to play with a certain kid- because he 'was an epileptic'. I avoided that kid for years thinking he was a freak. Some of the most serene people I met were in their terminal stages of life. I worked for a time with kids with cancer. The maturity and peace- plus a vibrant attitude to positively attacking life was inspirational...and humbling.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Itchy my Gson will love that! When we were in Florida last year we went on an Everglades tour, he saw gators, but wouldn't get his picture done holding one. ( neither would his gdad, Mr T has a fear of reptiles.

Am I the only one getting peeved with this new 'mobile chat' symbols that lurks in the bottom right corner? I keep accidently catching it with my thumb. There isn't a cross to close the box.

Andy how are things with the family? Are the kids coming to terms with what is happening? I think often of you all.

Suze my 'darling dad' was the sh1t that gave me all the insecurities and issues that led to me seeking comfort in the bottle and jumping into marriage with the first man who showed any interest. He has also worn my mom to a shadow gettin g her to run round after him. It's why she was so ill recently, she had no reserves.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Mags, belated congrats!

Hi Eternal - good to see you.

PJ

Itchy, that ear trumpet looks like just the thing - could be the latest fashion

I find I really want my comforts these days. The thyroid pills I take must be taken at least 2 hours after eating and at least one hour before else they aren't absorbed well enough. That interferes with some of my favorite things like coffee first thing in the morning while I post here. I'm trying to delay my morning cup but find I resent it (I've been on these pills for at least 60 years). No matter how old we get, there are still challenges to deal with!

Hi to all!
Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Sassy- coffee in the morning...ugh, tomorrow first thing am giving blood- THEY sat drink lots of water- NOT coffee before going in.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs.

Toots - Mrs T has her PICC line in, she apparently has small tough veins so it took them ages to insert it. She will start her chemo at 8:30am tomorrow morning and they will release her at 6:00pm, she will then have a pump for 45 hours. We are all doing well, that may change when Mrs T suffers side effects.

Best wishes to all.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Andy, big to you and Mrs T! Sending prayers and healing thoughts.