Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Way to go triple digits Dau!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all, if you take a look around, you'll see I am also participating in May 2017. I like to be here and support my first class attempt and seek inspiration from those who are hitting 90 and 100 days. I feel like I am getting to know a support group, and I have some friends here that aren't having it that easy. I can relate to that too.

Is it alright with all of you to have these two groups? One for fresh new hope and one for aspirational goals and support?
Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100 Dau!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

axeman,
Hi all, if you take a look around, you'll see I am also participating in May 2017. I like to be here and support my first class attempt and seek inspiration from those who are hitting 90 and 100 days. I feel like I am getting to know a support group, and I have some friends here that aren't having it that easy. I can relate to that too.
Is it alright with all of you to have these two groups? One for fresh new hope and one for aspirational goals and support?
Do whatever you have to do to quit this addiction.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Axeman, of course it's ok. We don't want to lose you. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but this is such a cool group that I would do both.

In fact maybe I'll follow your lead.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Meow

Of course you can have two groups. Whatever works!

I've been having a lot of cravings lately. It's starting to annoy me.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Morning guys.

Back with the programme.
Big congratulations Dau.....that's wonderful.

Keep it going PC.....cravings are one thing. Hungover is worse.

Later
Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

hola amigos. A decent day all said and done. No booze at least. I went down to my sister's place and my laundry. I hung out there for a while. She is going away with girlfriends for the weekend. I thought she was going with her husband, and I wanted to stay there, so she said to stay anyway and just have a guy's weekend. My 2 nephews and her husband. There is plenty of room and my brother in law will probably work they whole time anyway. I was about to get a hotel room for 2 nights to get out of my parents place. Arrrgg. Getting me batty being here.

I'm going to find something to watch. Silicon Valley has a new episode that I haven't seen. So funny.

Barcelona? I've got a buddy who lives there, and he's making a film right now. I can go over there and work on it. Not ideal for being sober, but there is no way I could do the work, and drink at all. It might happen. It's a really serious project.

V
Old 05-17-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Meow

Glad your back on the wagon, Canguy!

Viper, sometimes a change of scenery is good for the soul.

We have no water at our house. A valve on our well is broken and they had to order a part. We've had no water since Sunday - but we do have our camper in the driveway that I had filled with water in anticipation of our bathroom remodel (which is also not finished because we need the plumber). So at least we have a shower and working toilet.

I'm thinking that combined with our upcoming first camping trip this weekend are causing the cravings. Getting through a camping weekend without beer/wine will help.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Checking in. Its been a while and to be honest its a combination of being crazy busy with work, company at the house and my daughters high school graduation this Thursday night but also with all that happen on here the last week or two I flat out didn't know what to say. It made me mildly depressed to not have any idea of what to say to those who have been struggling recently.
I want the best for all of us and I was a bit blindsided by it all. In hind sight it seems saying a small something would have been better than nothing but I don't know my head wasn't in the game either with everything happening here.
Anyways on with today. Vipe and Axe and everyone else: turn over every stone you come across until you find the key that works for you here there everywhere!!
Glad you're back on the program canguy.
Remember PC the cravings are in your head and not physical at this point tell the AV to pound sand.
congrats to everyone on 3 days or 3 months. Here's to today
Old 05-17-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

2 sunny, warm days, and I feel like I'm running on all cylinders. It was raining for all of April and half of May. Horrible.

Yes a change of scenery would be very nice. My buddy from my first college days (I got sick and dropped out, then went to school when I was 34), has become a very successful person. He's now very wealthy and has resigned from 15 years of being a CEO at 2 companies, in Vienna and then Barcelona. He's making a pretty serious documentary film. I've been trying not to drink since he got to Barcelona (6 years) so I never went. Now is the time to go because he needs help and this film is going to blow up, at least as much as a niche documentary can. This dude is unstoppable. There is a lot I can learn, simply from his total lack of doubt in any endeavor he enters into. I'm totally plagued with doubt about any of my ideas and can't ever make a move. This guy's attitude: It Can't Fail!!! Even failure he spins into succcess. It's the total opposite of me. Plus I studied documentary at school. This could launch a life for me.

I feel like there is unfinished business here. Then again I always do. I'd like some time behind me, and by that I mean 6 months. I'm also about to start on a medical treatment that has a 75% chance of clearing up my issues by 75%. Of course there's nothing better for the health than beautiful surroundings, friendly people, a relaxed atmosphere, and arguably the most beautiful women in the world (sorry I'm a single dude), and that's Barcelona. No one is going to argue that.

My diet issues are bad. I am on an extremely strict diet. Sugar, wheat, etc., and I start getting very sick. The new meds and program are supposed to remedy it to a decent extent. Of course there can't be any booze.

Still here

Viper
Old 05-17-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support. My Penguins are getting killed by the Senators, but I am sober tonight.

PC - keep fighting!
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Woke up sober. Still getting dogged by a few symptoms of the last lapse but that should fade by tomorrow or Saturday. I am reinforcing my desire to quit by being open with my wife and close family. That's how I can tell I want this more than past attempts.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Canguy, congrats on getting back on the wagon!

PC, I have been camping for almost four weeks and have managed without any booze. I am sure you can too!

Take care everyone!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi guys

Well the obvious has been proven once again. It finally hit what everyone thinks is 'hot' today, and my body and brain just turned on. I was fine in heavy black pants and in long sleeves and it was in the 90's. When my forehead breaks a sweat, just being outdoors, everything changes for me. I said I was firing on all cylinders the past couple of days and today was a serious improvement on the 83 degree days.

This is the year I no longer deal with this climate. Or the year I use to escape it for good. I have no clue why my body and brain turn on in weather others think is too hot. What is clear is that everyone is different, and my doctors agree on this. People move to Florida for a reason. I'm going to my psychiatrist soon and we'll talk about it again. There is not a pharmacological solution, nor supplements. I've been pounding the vitamin D and there was an improvement, but not like this. I think 90 days in 90 degrees and my health issues might be over. I can't forget this feeling come fall when I'm exhausted, depressed and want to booze it up.

I'll tell ya, I used some Medical Maurijauna the other day. Maybe not the ideal thing to do, but it was very, very helpful. It's a liquid in a dropper. 3 drops on my tongue. All the worrying just vanished and I was energetic and on task for about 8 hours. Yeah maybe it's substituting one thing for another, but I had no hangover, I went about my day in a sober fashion, and is Prozac, Wellbutrin and Klonapin any different? The answer is NO. I can't smoke the stuff, it makes me paranoid and exhausted.

I can get legal weed pretty easily, but the costs are ridiculous to get the paperwork. It's actually not cool. So it's really not even an option.

Went back and looked at bikes today. That 2014 500cc Honda Dual Sport is still there. It's 'cheap.' Still... it is expenditures.

TWIN PEAKS starts on Saturday, a new series with the original cast and David Lynch directing on Showtime!! 2 hour season premier. I guess I'm going to be paying for the Showtime APP. Oh well.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

I destroyed my life as completely on pot as I did on alcohol Viper. I had an insatiable need to feel good, & an innate belief that 6 drops, say, must feel twice as good as 3...

you're the type of guy with a lot of complicating factors in your life - some you've chosen and others have been imposed on you.

It's tempting to find something that cuts through all that and works on the angst - but the angst is often only the symptom.

If you can find a doctor to prescribe it when you've been honest and open about your entire history, addictive and otherwise, then good luck to you, but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

D
Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

My middle child and only daughter graduated from high school last night. I have celebration BBQ's to attend tonight and tomorrow night and our own gathering on Sunday afternoon. I am glad I won't be hungover because I have a crap ton of work to get everything ready for our own. I can tell from last night that I will be dealing with "juvenile peer pressure" from other parents this weekend. Most of them don't realize I quit and they have never seen me without a beer in my hand for these types of things. I am not worried about drinking and I have a mental plan in place to deal with the conversations with my AV and other peoples AV as well. I share more because it's annoying as hell to even have to deal with it at all. I find it humiliating that I used to behave the same way to others who didn't do as I did when it came to drinking. I'm also glad I won't be doing it ever again. I'll check back on Monday or sooner if I need to. I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Dee, I am with you. I would never try a substitute because I have that personality. That's why I don't gamble, I am sure I would get addicted. (Funny I say that, I wish I would have treated alcohol that way all along).

I failed again last night. I definitely need a new approach, which includes a hobby. I realized that I just have a fear of stillness, alone time, and simplicity. Drinking is a crutch because it's something to do - go to fridge, get a beer, drink it, repeat, and it's also a process - i don't do other things because i'm just drinking and probably watching dumb TV or YouTube.

I am going to attempt to be sober the full weekend and I'll check in here more often. Usually, if you've noticed, I go silent on weekends when I'm not sticking to my plan.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Axe, weekends are daunting at first but you won't regret it. Keep yourself busy and definitely post here. I have an old house, so I can always find something to do if I look hard enough.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
I definitely need a new approach, which includes a hobby. I realized that I just have a fear of stillness, alone time, and simplicity.
Axe...trying to understand ....why are stillness, alone time and simplicity something to fear? That can also be a relaxed, easy solitude. A place to just sort through your thoughts without the noise of other people.

I'm a hobbyist. Hobby work is relaxed, easy, no rush, no pressure, learn from the mistake, do it again. No deadline.

Can make into the kid you were once too. C'mon....what would you really like to do?