Notices

F.I.S.T. #3 (Insert Non-Acronymical Nonsense Expression)

Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm going to take a shower now -- first since Sunday (yuck). Yesterday I tried to wash but the water came out brown -- we're having an emergency water shutdown tomorrow -- something's amiss. So I'll shower in heavy-metal water and try not to fall down.

A shopping car, wheelchair or cab would make me queasy with the bouncing. What I'm worried about w/walking is a car turning in front of me and me turning my head to look & falling then.

I'm thankful my brain still works, my equilibrium is returning, and for all the little strength I have.

Have a great meeting Del!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Oh My, ((Cour))...positive sent your way in bunches.

DZ, I tackle all things ODAAT...Somehow, it just works a magic.

I'm pressed for time. Work was busy and Freddie, my new dogie friend (JG's cute as a button dog) threw his hind leg out as JG needed my assist to put it back in place. Now off to gym and dinner at my fav Greek place.

I wanted to share something with my FIST family. The Y that I belong to asked if I would share my story for their FB page and they posted it today...here it is.

The James P Gills Y would like to thank MATT .....

Group Fitness Instructor Kelly Erickson says that having Matt in class is uplifting. "Matt always has a positive attitude and loves friendly competition with his classmates. He high fives everyone on his way out and you can tell he appreciates his new life. He puts a smile on our faces every time he's in the room."

Here is his story:

Hi, I'm Matt and I'm a grateful "recovering" alcoholic. Some time ago I had been sober for nearly 12 years, then I relapsed, and spent most of the next eight years slowly dying inside and out. On Saturday, June 3rd, I will celebrate 4 years clean and sober again.

A fellowship that I treasure tells me that the same person will always drink again. I proved that to be true. So this time around I listened and decided to change mind, body and spirit.

While up north that quest led me to BodyPump. Wow, those Pumpers became like family! Then I moved to Florida. While sad, I was determined to keep BodyPump in my life. A little over a year ago, a power greater than me led me to the James P. Gills YMCA.

I could not have felt more welcomed. The instructors are amazing and with their guidance I've added other classes to my weekly regimen. At 64 years old I feel as good physically as I ever did in organized sports in high school and college.

Getting fit is nice, getting fit with friends is nicer, getting fit with so many that I consider my Y-family - the best! You can pretty much bank on my being at Cardio&Strength on 6/3 to celebrate my 4 year anniversary.
#ThankAYMember #BeCauseY

I am happy and humbled...

Gotta dash - - - - no drinkin on my page for today...best, all.

SR Carlos

Last edited by Dee74; 05-11-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: edit by request,
Old 05-10-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

That is SO awesome SR Carlos (lol) put a big grin on my face!

Me, I have I have started the wrasslin' with 3 scary things:
1. Emailed my new lawyer regarding my case with two older kids and my son who wants to move here.
The other half of that is actually talking to the lawyer and formulating a plan going forward for our June court date, where I want to push for things to move quicker for my son to be able to move here when school is done.

2. I called the lady (minister?) with whom I've been recommended to my 5th step. That took me about 4 hours to muster up the courage to do. After scribbling down a couple more pages of my inventory. Sigh. now I await phone call.

3. I have started digging deep into what I am going to do with my most current spouse and little one and the support agreement we currently have in place.

I am legally entitled to spousal support as well as child support, and both which he went a year without paying.
I have a lot of knots in my gut about this one and a lot of legwork and I just generally feel dreadful. This will be the absolute nail in the coffin of our friendship/relationship and will vilify me further in certain circles. However, it's his legal obligation- not me going out for blood. I've been mucking around in the trenches for 2 years without his support and really- I have been getting the short end of the stick and I've known it all along. I don't want to fight though... just file it and let the courts deal with it.

Sigh... that one makes me sad and nervous.
I grossly, hugely, immensely hate being taken advantage of by men.
No matter how seemingly well intentioned and genuine they may appear to be.

Last edited by Delizadee; 05-10-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I like to space things out nicer .
Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Well done, Carlos!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
This site taught me about duvet days. Sometimes it's really mentally necessary to allow yourself to get next-to-nothing done and rest. I think drinking used to provide a mental buffer that alcoholics need, and staying sober requires learning how turn things down for a while without a drink.
I love the duvet day idea courage! It makes sense that in recovery we need to turn our brains off a bit without using alcohol.

That was an awesome write up Carlos! Your story is inspiring to all of us.

I hope things begin looking up for you Courage and Delizadee!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
p***enger

Carlos, that's wonderful and amazing! I'm glad you're able and willing to help so many people in different ways.

Deliza, it sounds like you're on track. Hold your head high and do what you know is right. If you're confused about what's right, seek advice from someone or someones. You're a strong survivor. F.I.S.T. in the air!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Still very busy at work. That's okay. Keeps me out of trouble
Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Agree- some days just- are. I always try to make my waking hours as productive around recovery as I can. BUT some days it just don't work. Sometimes THAT is the hard work- acceptance and letting go.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Carlos - Great article!!

Courage - Sorry you're not feeling well. I completely understand your hesitancy to go to the office. How was the walk?

SG - I have learned to enjoy my duvet days. What differentiates it from active addiction is not letting it carry on for days and days.

Del - You wrote: "How have I gotten this far? I said on a wing and a prayer... I've gotten this far. So, I will just keep on going and doing the next right thing and instead of seeing only the rock and the hard place".

This!!!! Your post reminded me that from time to time, I am still guilty of the poor planning that leads to do-or-die. Waiting til the last minute to do something important, down to the wire.

My anxiety has always felt so far from my own control. While many times it is an underlying biophysical challenge an play, upon scrutiny it surprises me to see that there are factors I can affect, like not waiting til it's do or die.

Today I watched a couple of dirty old drunk men stumble through a parking lot. Not a common sight in the burbs. The one I thought was more pulled together fell on the sidewalk. Laid there a while. Then his buddy pulled him up and led them into traffic to jaywalk across the street.

Not me today!
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

SG - I have learned to enjoy my duvet days. What differentiates it from active addiction is not letting it carry on for days and days.
That is the key, Glee. Not letting it drag on for days and weeks at a time. I was pretty productive yesterday, and hope to finish up what I need to before I begin my work week this afternoon.

Carlos, congrats to the Pens. I got to watch the third period last night. Team is looking good.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
p***enger

I had just one small dizzy spell this morning. I think the little rocks in my head -- that's literally the problem -- are lodged in bad places in the morning, & over the course of the day I joggle them around until they settle where they should be.

Is that a metaphor for a recovering alcoholic/addict's mind, or what?

Today's my test -- we'll see how I do today with a full work day, including teaching to 8 p.m., and a 1.5 miles walk there and back.

I hope you're making good progress with the book, FBL!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I hope you're making good progress with the book, FBL!
It's slow, but steady progress. Now the boss has a new side project for me to work on the weekends. Means more cash, so I think I'll do it.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

FBL, you writing a book?! Jee whiz. I've missed a lot.

Hope things go well today courage. I had to chuckle at the "little rocks in my head" thing. Along with the shiny squirrels, and the hamster wheel, I often apologize and say I have rocks in my head. I lose my train of thought constantly.
I don't deal with the vertigo though, unless you count randomly tipping and falling over for no reason in that class.
In any case, hope all goes well.

Glee, I am a poor planner too. In certain areas. OR, I am just a really good procrastinator at keeping my own house clean (both physically and mentally).
I fight with my anxiety too, sometimes I just close my eyes and dive in if I can.

I am getting a little better with time, my house stays in general order because I can't take the chaos I lived in while I was drinking- my life feels TOTALLY unmanageable if things aren't clean enough for me. Recovery work and dealing with things like legal stuff in proper time are the internal stuff. I can't sit and stew in crap... then i turn into a ticking time bomb.

Anyways. Waiting to hear from the lawyer I am talking to regarding this child support issue.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Fbl - More money always sounds good to me!

Work has thrown me curve balls every day this week, little crisises that have gotten in the way of doing my planned tasks. It keeps things interesting for me. But, addict that I am, "everyday" stuff is dull, yet "crisises" that stir the pot a little make me think I deserve extended duvet time. I'll zone out the whole night.

I'm taking a few minutes off right now to get myself in the middle after an unusually challenging day, but working on being "in the middle" as Carlos would say (rather than be an "addict") and be present with my family for the night.

Happy sobriety all!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

good morning all. No drinking for me today

Badge
Old 05-12-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

You are so prolific, FBL. You really seem to enjoy your job.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
p***enger

's good to see you, badger!

Glee, good for you for stepping aside from the fray to focus on you & your family.

Gilmer sends her support and regrets that she can't deliver it herself -- she can't log on to SR from her device It's very frustrating for her & I miss her!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Gilmer sends her support and regrets that she can't deliver it herself -- she can't log on to SR from her device It's very frustrating for her & I miss her!
Addition to the I miss her from above - WE miss her.

Ahhh, a duvet day...I do love them and may take the better part of one soon. Another distinction I try to follow for the Duvet experience...see it for what it is, relaxation, not a pity party. I'm done with pity parties...may sound crazy, but it's true.

Hope you're still feeling better, Cour.

FBL, keep us posted on that book and enjoy your creative side.

Glee, how is the new house coming along?

I guess we all still have things floating around between our ears. haha, one the the handful on names that JG has for me is ADHD boy...well, you can take the girl out of Jersey, but.....etc.

SG, thanks for the Pens congrats. Oh my, what a wonderful run they seem to be taking us on again. Are you a Flyer fan?

Well, it's the weekend, the sun is shining, no plans to drink or use...bottom line, life is good.

Hope it's a good one, all.

SR Carlos
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hey you lovely folks.

Today's lovely news is that my 'kids' have all missed me and been bugging parents to bring them back to Dee's. Feels really nice. It's been a long week off.

I hope everyone is doing great and hope Gilmer gets back soon

Not drinking today.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
p***enger

A little bit of thoughtful, non-intrusive kindly attention goes a long way with young people. A lot further w/some than you might think.

No drinking & no wanting to either in snarkbunny-world. Tilt-a-wheel or not.