Notices

F.I.S.T. #3 (Insert Non-Acronymical Nonsense Expression)

Old 05-05-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

If the dead could laugh..is that what Andrew Jackson is doing over there, across the water??
Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

My $20 bill is still alive and kicking!

All I know about Jackson is that he was highly controversial in his day and nowadays he is not considered politically correct at all. I'm not clear on the details.

It would be very embarrassing if an Aussie had a deeper understanding of American history than an American...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Just wondering, you guys seem to be talking a lot about him being dead 60 years before your civil war- W-Post, New Y'er to name a few.

Just a pause to remind myself to ground. To stay focussed on me in my little world. Apparently the universe can still perform it's duties with out my supervision...
Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

So, are you saying that the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor?!?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Great posts this week that really got me thinking. I'm disappointed that I was too mentally cooked to participate by the time I logged in this week.

On the up side, I am grateful that I have the more energy than ever to work hard, focus on my kids' sports and behavior/ homework, and keep up with household cooking, cleaning, and errands.

The next great frontier is taking really good care of myself - progress not perfection. .
Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Glee, that's very healthy.

I just saw a fitting saying on the 24-hr. thread:

"You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress."

No drinking or drugging for me today.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

FBL- that is just silly! German? It was Orson Wells.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
p***enger

I only look at the headlines online to see if we're at war & if anything really big exploded. Then I scan for fresh pictures of Brad Pitt or Melania and I'm out. So I didn't know about the Jackson thing. But his bio is amazing....

His father died age 29, 3 weeks before Andrew was born in 1767 -- no one knows exactly where because his mother had to travel for the burial in unsurveyed territory. During the Revolutionary War his older brother died from heat exhaustion after a battle. Andrew and the other remaining brother then served in the war as couriers & were captured by the British in 1781. In captivity, Andrew refused to clean the boots of a British officer & the officer slashed him with a sword, permanently scarring his left hand and head. The brothers contracted smallpox and nearly starved to death in captivity. The brother died just after his release was promised. Andrew's mother volunteered to nurse prisoners of war on board cholera ships, and she died from cholera and was buried in an unmarked grave a few months later. Thus Andrew was an orphan at age 14. (paraphrased from Wikipedia)

That's just personal and doesn't get to the love of his life, the duel that left him w/a bullet lodged close to his heart, or his adoption of 3 children and guardianship of 8 others. His presidency is a strange & sometimes gruesome story.

PJ thank you for pointing me to read about Jackson.

(As you can maybe tell, I have some free time today. )
Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I only look at the headlines online to see if we're at war & if anything really big exploded. Then I scan for fresh pictures of Brad Pitt or Melania and I'm out.
HA, HA! Me, too! Guilty as charged!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I've had a bit of free time today too. It's wonderful.

One of my kids is playing in a spring hockey league and I went to the game. It was the mean mom crew.

They were same as always. I found my teeth gritting as I relayed details to my husband line by line afterwards.

I decided to look at the situation through the lens Courage said she uses and wondered how insecure, irritable, depressed, and miserable they must feel to do the things they do. It's helping me let it go.

No drinking for me! Have a good weekend!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Aren't you glad that you don't feel forced to jockey for an acceptable position with them anymore? What a never-ending headache that must have been!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ah yes- soccer mums.
C2- I think working out history - in context is important. Like- my little leader met the good ool' leader guy. You know- who hung up on him (my guy), got his name wrong- then delayed their first meeting?? So to work out historical stuff- helps me understand why the hell I do not understand. Also the huge fuss for cico mayo. A Mexican victory over French, which had an influence on the civil war (US), the slave trade and the decline of Spanish influence. I was intrigued by the coverage of this in your N-Yorker and Wash- Post. Their angle was - it is not about getting pissed. Festivals, holiday celebrations- say something about a society.
There is a huge fuss in media here- because a young, muslim woman 9journo) who wear really outrageously lovely colours- tweeted on the most sacred of Australian Public holidays, 'RIP Nauru'..and several other places linked with refugees trying to get to Australia. Everything from historical context, to refuree rights,muslim women in society and violence, multiculturalism, ;the spirit of ANZAC' ...I could dribble on for hours- but the history of each interesting, misleading- conversation generating comment made, defines us as a people.+
Old 05-06-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've never been able to keep track of historical things. I seem to have some trouble mentally organizing information and registering facts. My working memory is a sieve. Maybe that's the drug abuse when my frontal lobes should have been developing -- it's hard to say.

Oh well. There's way too much I don't understand & it makes my head hurt. But then, it doesn't seem to matter not to know the big picture. The right here right now gives me plenty to deal with.

How's your here and now, PJ? You've been pretty quiet about yourself lately.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I love historical documentaries.

Carlos!

Did you win any money?

Any pictures of the fancy hats?
Old 05-06-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I have poor judgment.

At least that doesn't involve drugs or alcohol. .still sober!
Old 05-07-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

good morning all! no drinking this week!

badge
Old 05-07-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I've been a big history buff my whole life. I even earned a History minor in college. To me, history is like an onion...when you think you know everything, there's another layer to peel away.

Beautiful morning for my extended Sunday morning nature walk. I try to walk a couple of miles every day and I have a little more time on Sundays, so I extend it to about 4 miles and head thru the woods down by the river.

Have a great Sunday, gang!
Old 05-07-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi, Badge!

If you feel like talking, we're here, Del.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

HA! Some of the biggest news on one channel here is the Australian entrant in the 2017 Eurovision. Love that show- the worse the costumes, the crappier the songs- the more me like.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday FISTers!!!!!