Notices

F.I.S.T. #3 (Insert Non-Acronymical Nonsense Expression)

Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos, let me the first to congratulate you on 4 years sober! You're an inspiration to many of us here.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Congratulations for tomorrow, Carlos, and have a fun time tonight.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 years Carlos

Have a good weekend everyone
D
Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Hey congratulations Carlos! Have a great time. I really enjoy your posts. Very inspiring
Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on four years Carlos! Your many insightful comments on SR over the past two years have been very helpful to me as I figure the whole sobriety thing out. Have a great night with JG!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations Carlos you hardbody, you! xxxooo
Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

SAME, Carlos
Old 06-03-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Repeat congratulations on this the actual soberversary day!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats again, Carlos!

I put in a few hours on my side project at work yesterday and will again today. It's new information about old songs and artists, which is always fun for me.

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

That's cool, FBL!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Good morning,all. Haha, let me apologize in advance for any typos. Using my phone this morning.

Thank you for the kind words and thoughts for my anniversary.

It feels really good. I feel like I'm on the beam today with some solid footing. As part of being on that beam, I know how tenuous my sobriety can be.

I am grateful for this miracle and will do all I can to choose the next right things and pass along what I can offer to those still out there.

I am humbled and so lucky to call all of you my sober family.

Love,

Matt - SR Carlos
Old 06-03-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I am so proud of Carlos on 4 years of sobriety. I gravitated toward Carlos on my sober journey because of his message, that while crawling through the rubble my drinking created, it was possible to find pockets of hope, and moments of peace and serenity.

He and I have spent countless hours talking about AA, its principles, and how we could apply them to our lives at that moment. Those sparks of hope have turned into a way of life, a way of living that's turned both of our lives around.

The subject matter is serious, but truth is it's been so much fun being sober besties.

Carlos - Look at you today. You reclaimed the natural athleticism that had been laying dormant. Now, instead of being about winning and losing, your workouts are about being strong, and sharing that message with others. Even golf is more about being with your lifelong friends; winning is the icing on the cake instead of the primary goal. Your relationship with your daughters is about meeting them where they are. Work has a healthy place in your life. JG is a wonderful woman and your relationship blossoming at a healthy pace.

The key for everyone, no matter how far along you are on your sober journey, one day or 4+ years, is to enjoy the benefits this way of life offers today. And if something gets in the way, share with your sponsor or share here on line.

I know I will!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

What a lovely tribute, Glee!

To Carlos:
Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
p***enger

Your on-the-beam-edness comes through clear as a bell in today's post, Carlos. Congratulations on every day so far!

Thank you Glee -- now only was that a very loving post to Carlos, but it gives us all things to aspire to, including hope to build sober bonds like the two of you have.

I'm officially entering summer today. Yesterday I completed my last goal for spring. Today feels a blank page. Of course there are 20 things to be done this weekend, and lots of summer work lined up starting Monday, but summer has a different rhythm.

Balance in action. Peace of mind. Surrender the will.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

I love summer rhythm!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Yesterday I was wringing my hands all day. I got more and more depressed as the day went on because I was afraid that my new coursework was way too complicated for me with too much memorization.

So I cut the suffering short and went to bed at 7:15!

I woke up and worked on a bit of memorization first thing. By no means did I expect to master it all; I just reasoned that if I keep chipping at it a little each day, eventually I'll come up to speed.

It turned out that I learned more in an hour than I thought I could. Not everything I need--but a heck of a lot more than I thought.

Then I took notes on the textbook. Turns out this chapter is way less complicated than the previous one, so it didn't take long. Then I did the workbook--translation gets harder and harder, and I get about 75% of it right. Oh, well--live and learn!

Fortunately the translation sections on the exams are much simpler than the workbook.

Then I took notes on the lecture--and it turned out to be only 20 minutes!

I lounged around for awhile--then I ACTUALLY EXERCISED like I planned to!

Granted, it was 3 in the afternoon--but I did something! I walked for 15 minutes at 2.5 mph with a 5% incline. That's a good start for me--I don't want to keel!

Now I might actually have time to kick back, watch my Civil War videos, and work on my never-ending needlework!

(No, I'm pretty sure I'm not manic. I'm not hyped up as I plow through the tasks; plus, I'm calm and not picking fights).

It was just a plain good day. Things are always more doable for me in the morning!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Gilmer - Sounds like a nice productive day. I find that my "old way" of cramming it all in during the first half of the day isn't fulfilling. Now I take breaks between activities. Projects take a little longer to get done but it feels better.

Lately I've been busy with work, kids, etc. and haven't made any meetings. Last night I had written a post on Facebook & tagged an aquaintence whose son held a fundraiser I attended. My sponsor posted on it how she misses me and misses seeing me in the rooms. The way Facebook works, everyone who is tagged or has liked my post sees the note.

This post wasn't about me; my sponsor hijacked a post I wrote about someone else. There is a social stigma to alcoholism. I feel like I've been outed as an alcoholic to my friends, family and community.

I know she is confrontational but not direct. I know she didn't mean any harm. I also know she has taken the time to help me find a better way of living.

So whereas the old me would have been fuming, I am trying to appreciate that she reached out even if it wasn't my style. Also part of me knows that I should support a program that works so well for me.

So whereas the old me would have written her off completely as a friend, the new me is going to deal with it compassionately!
Old 06-03-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Definitely let her know her mistake. I'm sure she meant well.

Maybe most people don't know what "the rooms" are. I know I had no clue before I encountered AA people here. That would have gone right over my head.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
p***enger

((glee)) that would make me very upset. Even if it weren't for the stigma of alcoholism, seems like it breaks a boundary between sponsorship and friendship. That's something I have experience with -- my sponsor explicitly wanted to have a friendship, which I couldn't handle at the time, & it caused us both of a lot of trouble & strife.

I had a brief little feud with two of my siblings because they posted information about my family on a publicly-available site. They acted thoughtlessly, I called them on it. But it bothered me out of proportion to its importance, so I had to think about that, too. Alcoholics are unusually good at making a tempest in a teapot.

I hope you clear things up with your sponsor & reach peace of mind about the intrusion on your anonymity.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, what a lovely and inspiring post for Carlos and all of us!

I would be furious if someone in the role of a sponsor "outed me" on Facebook. That's why I have decided to compartmentalize parts my life on social media. I am friends with many people that I either have or are currently working with, and I feel that they have no need to know of my addiction. A few with long term sobriety are very open about their addictions, but being in a management position, I would rather not open Pandora's Box. To me, someone with a mentoring relationship with you should be wise enough to not spread personal information without thinking of the ramifications. Your restraint in the situation is remarkable. Talk about drinking triggers! Definitely time to block or unfriend this individual from your social media.

At work yesterday, one of my coworkers was telling me how he just celebrated his birthday with drinking all day and basically sleeping it off the following day. I used to love to tell "war" stories too, at least until heavy drinking became a daily ritual for me. No one wants to hear of someone drinking until they pass out each and every day, especially at my age. Even the younger among us realize that something isn't right about that.

Early days at work today and tomorrow. Enjoy the sunshine everyone!