Notices

F.I.S.T. #3 (Insert Non-Acronymical Nonsense Expression)

Old 05-27-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
c2- my burns tracks where my fibreglass splint was.
Why did you have a fiberglass splint? -- If you don't want to talk about it, please don't think you have to answer. But I'm interested, & I'm the kind of person, the more I know the more I care.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

aBOUT A MONTH B4- WHILE STAGGERING BACK FROM THE BOTTLESHOP T -0900 IN THE MORNING, I TRIPPED UP A HILL AND SMASHED MY SHOULDER SO BADLY-the hospital casualty staff told me it would need surgery. they gave me a f/g splint. sorry- caps lock. Lazy- 0251 Sunday. I ignored them so I could drink. When saving my life for the burns- my arm was so f..ked, that after bringing me back from the dead 3 times, they then discussed very seriously whether my arm should be amputated, given the damage.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  
p***enger

I see. That's really terrifying.

You're an amazing human being, PJ. Keep on keepin' on. xxxooo
Old 05-27-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Cour, I loved the chart. Could you send a blank excel, or must I redo all by myself? kidding. I'm not that lazy but I sure am tired. Not sure how commuted to the time element I could be though.

FBL, what a gift to enjoy your vocation to the degree that you do.

Wow, I just dozed off in the middle of this post. A week with the two JG's wore me out.

Dee, insomnia is a huge issue with me. Congrats on whatever you have done to improve your sleep.

PJ, I do not know much about your story. You sure seem to have fought through some tough odds to be where you are in recovery. I believe that the longer I stay clean and sober the more miracles that will continue to come my way. Here's to a miracles heading all of our way.

Star, I am a goat dude as well. Last beard I had was when I was finishing college. I was hitchhiking a short ride on campi and a car passed with someone yelling at me...hey hippie, get a hair cut and shave. About to start interviewing, I simply took their advise, that day. Crazy, but true. So true about a drunk pushing others to drink. I know I did that.

Gilmer, how is the exercise program going?

Glee, what up, sober bestie?

Headed north in like 10 days. Not sure for how long so I've decided to rent a car and drive and maybe keep a few things from those 6 decades up there and bring them south.

My original plan was to be there by the golf gig yesterday and today but decided to stay to celebrate 4 years with my FL home group first. They called me all drunked up last night and I was passed around...it is nice that we have kept that thing that I started 27 years ago going and strong. I think I'll go next year?

So glad I stayed because I've had such a fun week with JG and her daughter. Yesterday JG Jr met me for pump in the morning then all three of us beached. Perfect day - live music - and yes, one game of rummikub (Sr JG won), then bowling with JG's brother and family. Daughter is off to summer internship in Europe today. So crazy, we kinda bonded and had a couple really deep conversations after our workouts. JG says she really likes me...humm, maybe there is hope for my oldest daughter and me to bond again some day???

Well, enough of my ramblings. Not drinkin of druggin today.

SR Carlos
Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
p***enger

You sound good, Carlos. Thanks for the life-affirming post!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Del, I've been thinking about it, and I'm feeling bad; I'm sure this poor mom really, really needs the childcare. I know you must be heartsick at the prospect of having to break it to her that you are not equipped to watch her daughter anymore.

Maybe she's broke. I feel really bad, too.

I think you're right to suggest to her that she have the child tested. Even a trip to the pediatrician could set the ball rolling.

I'm sure you're dreading speaking to her, but you'll probably feel a lot better after you do.

I wish we'd gotten one of my children tested when it was first suggested to us in kindergarten. It would have been so much better for his adjustment to school and the dynamic with his dad if we had.

We finally did get him tested in eighth grade. He ended up having a processing delay--and once we and the teachers knew, it was blessedly easier caring for him.

Now he's on his own and doing great.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I didn't know they almost had to amputate your arm, PJ.

Were they able to give you back some function?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
p***enger

The news about Gregg Allman is making me sadder than ... other similar news. Oddly I've been listening to a lot of Allman Brothers lately, not since for decades. There was a lot of fabulous, fabulous music around 1972, but Eat A Peach is the album I remember the fabulous people in my little world were all excited about. Thinking of Gregg Allman brings a lot of stuff back.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Sorry, Del--in my first post to you I spoke in haste without reading carefully enough.

Basically I wagged my finger at to to do exactly what you had just said you already planned to do! And I think I crapped all over you with a lecture when you were going out on a limb confiding your pain to us!

So sorry!

I have a sinking suspicion I had a little agitated bit of mania this afternoon.

I had another small evidence of it this afternoon.

But at least I've managed to stop talking.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

One day at a time Delizadee.

I love the chart courage. It is all about staying in the moment.

Peace to all!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

AWLS- my my story is threaded (?).

Gilly- yep. I still process of this. Was told just moments after coming out of coma- everything. My right arm/hand? Loss of 40% power (muscles burnt away- or cut/scraped out by docs), limited flexibility/extension- my right hand hurts most of the time. My little finger sticks out sideways 9contractions) and is just cosmetic- they thought of cutting it off too. That is why I wear my lifelong 24/7 glove- blood flow. DSo grip is 4 fingers. But the docs and physio's tell me my self regulated regime of imposed physio, strethching crap has yielded a result that further surgery would not have predicted anyway. I have done betta than they thought 'possible'?? No complaints from me. It goes some way to explaining why there are tpyo's and caps-l on my posts. Half my right hand really does not function with fine motor. The 4th finger is half dead (both fingers- severe nerve damamge). Getting there- next skill is proof reading.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Your caps lock adds DRAMA and ZEST to the threads!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Bummed about Gregg Allman's death. I knew he was pretty sick recently, but it's still sad that he's gone. I got to see the Allman Brothers a couple of times over the years and they didn't disappoint.

Have a great Sunday, gang!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
The news about Gregg Allman is making me sadder than ... other similar news. Oddly I've been listening to a lot of Allman Brothers lately, not since for decades. There was a lot of fabulous, fabulous music around 1972, but Eat A Peach is the album I remember the fabulous people in my little world were all excited about. Thinking of Gregg Allman brings a lot of stuff back.
Courage, we must be around the same age. I wore out my copy of Fillmore East during my college days and saw the Brothers around a half dozen times back in the day. Gregg Allman certainly had that one of a kind voice that made the band so great. It is always heartening to me to see someone so addicted to drugs and especially alcohol sober up at the end and enjoy life for what it is. I figured he wasn't doing well when he cancelled his summer tour earlier. Guess the original Brothers are down to Dickie Betts and Jaimoe. Thankfully, the music lives on.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Fbl - Your enjoyment and interest in your work is so cool. Your positive outlook always makes me smile.

Gilmer - I think you shared some interesting info about your experiences with your son. I think it's ok when someone's post leads you to share about something in your own life! If it makes you aware of important data on your own emotional state - that's even more valuable. Thanks for letting us be YOUR support system.

Del - I've had a handful of children with serious issues in my care during my time as a preschool teacher. I know how physically and emotionally taxing it can be in a childcare setting to have a child (or children) with behavioral issues. It can be very hard to properly integrate them into the group dynamic without additional adults on hand, or without properly trained adults. Some parents are getting kids proper interventions from the start. I have found that part of many other parents' journeys has been for the child to be kicked out of multiple childcare settings to realize they need to seek a therapist's advice. And still some never do so.

Courage - Great spreadsheet. What a good way to keep yourself organized and productive.

Stargazer - I'm amazed at how much less booze flows at events I host as well.

Carlos - I think it's cool that you stayed back for the opportunity to get to know JG Jr. and other people in JG's life.

I have a three day weekend! Yesterday was a fun day - a youth lax game in the morning, a movie with the kids in the afternoon, and a bonfire with friends at night. I didn't get anything unpacked yesterday though, so today I'm going to attempt to work on a few small projects before heading out to my brother and sister in laws' Memorial Day picnic. I'm hoping not to stay there too late and maybe have a little time with the kids when we get home. Tomorrow will be cooking and errands.

As every sober year in recovery goes by I find myself feeling stronger, more energetic, and more satisfied by the small stuff.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thx for the image, FBL. He sure looks you in the eye. I dreamed of "Dreams" all night.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Good night, FISTmongers.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
p***enger

G'night Gilmer!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Today is Memorial Day in the U.S. I'll be taking some time today to remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice so that I can live free.

Have a great day, gang!
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

We had a fun Memorial Day picnic yesterday before heavy rains doused the bonfire and cleared out the remaining folks hoping for an all night bonfire.

I got to hang out with two drinking buddies that I used to drink heavily with going back nearly thirty years. One of them have become a few beers while watching football on the weekend drinker, the other just got arrested for DUI and will be mired in the court system for months. He doesn't think he has an issue with drinking, as I watched him drink beer after beer all afternoon. I know change has to come from within, and each of us needs to hit a personal rock bottom in order to want to quit. I would think being arrested would be that for me, but my friend is just "being more careful" and staying close to home now. His wife drove yesterday. I don't see it ending well for him unless he sees the light, but that's for him to decide.

Great video Courage, that looks like one of the Beacon shows. I am a huge Warren Haynes fan, the guitarist on the right. Have probably seen him a dozen times between the Allmans, the Dead, Phil Lesh and Friends and his band Gov't Mule. Lots of heavy blues if that is your thing, far less "commercial" if I dare say, than the Allman's ended up being. Tedeski/Trucks band is pretty awesome too.

Still raining here. Hopefully will be a chill day off. Much needed downtime to recharge a bit.

Have a great day all!