Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Been awhile since I posted, so apologies ahead of time for the long-winded message...

Hi SandyO: Thanks for asking how I've been since getting home. I've had a spate of migraines, but on the upside, am happily on Day 3 of no alcohol since my recent slip.

If you can find a way into meditation, I think it offers lots of benefits. I have tried to dip into mindful meditation on and off for decades, but it never "took hold" so to speak. It took this week-long seminar to really get a practice started (though it's still early yet to tell whether that will happen...). I think a lot of communities offer courses, but until now I was never able to find the right fit. My seminar was specifically geared toward chronic pain patients.

Prior to the seminar I did, one of my favorite guided meditations was this one (specifically addresses anxiety and overthinking):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYnqvadurg

Dee, thanks for taking the time to respond to my question about getting to the next level of commitment to sobriety. I'd like to believe that if I keep working on it and chipping away, like Mish said that each time I try I will be a step closer to long-term sobriety.

JCNY, it was great to hear about that postcard you wrote. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been but also I hope rewarding. I sometimes wish the thread was more active, too, but I realize I don't keep up my end of that as much as I'd like due to the pain issues. But I do check in every day, and really enjoy reading where everyone's at and what's going on. Haven't checked out the year and under forum yet.

Outonthetiles and JCNY, I'm part of the "spouse-doesn't-know-much-about-SR" club. He knows I've chosen to stop using the alcohol to medicate the pain (and he knows I've found this board for support) but I don't think it was until my last relapse that he realized how bad things had gotten. And I think he still doesn't know how often I check into and rely on this community.

So, tomorrow is the dreaded GP visit, and to tell her about how the drinking spun out of control and the depression I feel due to the pain issues. And of course...the blood tests. I'll be relieved to find out one way or the other what's going on.

Stay strong Ninjas! Thanks all for supporting me during this recent slip. Feeling nonjudgmentally being taken back into the fold means a lot to me and helps me stay sober.

Last edited by argillaceous; 05-03-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarified sentence
Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes for the appointment Argi
D
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Checking in Ninja's. Hey JCNY, SandyO, Argi, Tiles et al....Everyone doing ok????
Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows yourself JJ?

D
Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words argi and I hope all goes well for you at the doc.

Hey Jimmy, I just realized your avatar is SVR, pretty cool. I'm doing well and don't think about drinking much anymore which feels good. How are you doing?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Checking in Ninja's. Hey JCNY, SandyO, Argi, Tiles et al....Everyone doing ok????
All good here JJ. I've had a dull headache the last few days which suck the energy from me but apart from that still sober and plodding along as usual. I haven't gone running in a few days, was thinking of hopping on the bike and trying my luck with cycling to mix the exercise up a bit. How are you? x
Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Argi I have a friend at work who suffers from chronic pain. It so awful to see the daily struggle he goes through , some days are better than others. Sometimes he is so abrupt with me and I guarantee those are the days he is struggling with the pain. Sadly others don't factor that in and complain about him being rude to them. Poor darling, it must be so draining for him to be in constant pain. I am grateful I have dodged that bullet so far in my life. Argi I have a good feeling about your doctors visit. I just know it will go well.
JCNY and Tiles I had a hard time convincing my husband I was an alcoholic. I don't think he really wanted to accept I had a problem but luckily (or not so lucky for me because it sucked big time in the end) I got to the point where it was clear as mud to him there was a problem and he has now acknowledged that I cannot drink and is working with me to make sure I stick to my plan. While writing this though and thinking back I realise it was a while I guess before I started really opening up about my addiction with him though.
Love you D - that's all for you.
BetterisBetter hope you are feeling better. Are you out of quarantine yet? x
SandyO I so wish we were in Spring. We're in Autumn here and it's cooling down. I love gardening. What veggies did you plant?
I've got to go do the bedtime routine with the kiddies now so have to sign off. Hope everyone else is doing great. Ciao for now Ninjas x
Old 05-04-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi All - sorry to read about your slip Mish, concur with Dee on developing new default coping methods.

Been so busy keeping busy I moved past the 50 day mark without noticing until I happened to check the calendar so Day 52 today. Been hitting two of the most local AA groups regularly and got a big cheer when I picked up my last chip (loving the chip thing, actual prizes for not drinking :o) Ms Special continues to be special also.

Had a very real situation a couple of weekends ago, my littlest managed to sleepwalk out of her bunkbed at 01:30 in the morning, fell and broke her collarbone. I was up and with her in minutes, then drove her to hospital to get checked out and home again afters - all sorted.

Had this happened back in Feb, the chances are very high that I either wouldn't have woken up (or have been able to be woken up) or certainly wouldn't have been fit to drive her to hospital. Both of these would have very seriously impacted kids faith in me, custody arrangement would have been completely torn up, my side of the family would have hit the flipping ceiling, all of which would have slammed me further back away from the wagon.

Happily though for the first time I can clearly see a very large and real example of staying sober clearly putting me on a very different path. Just the thought or the possibility of both my kids cold and frightened, one of them badly hurt in the middle of the night trying to get help with me passed out in bed makes me very very scared of that first drink - not just no desire to drink but a positive aversion to the stuff.

Keep at it peeps
Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NapsteR1 View Post
Hi All - sorry to read about your slip Mish, concur with Dee on developing new default coping methods.
a positive aversion to the stuff.
Had a little chuckle when I read your post Napster. While I did have a little slip last week, thankfully it wasn't off the sober wagon. I'm currently sitting at 45 days sober. The reason why I had a chuckle is because I stacked it running last week and your post reminded me of how funny my "little slip" looked. I did a trip, drop and roll and ended up with grazes like a kid who's just fallen off their bike. Hopefully footage of my slip will not end up on YouTube Fails.
I love hearing you were able to be there for your little one when she was injured. I too took a long time to wake up when drunk and cringe to think of what could have happened had there been an emergency. There's no way I would have been fit to drive any night of the week...that didn't stop me some nights though and I am very ashamed of that. Isn't it a wonderful feeling paving a new path for ourselves. Being responsible and able to react with clarity to situations. Let's fill our lives with more and more of these moments.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Doing well all thanks for asking. Love waking up feeling good☀️
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

NapsteR1 - huge congrats on 50+ days and thank you for sharing about your little one. I hope she's doing great. I'm the father of two little ones myself and your comments about being able to be there during a crisis - instead of drunk or passed out - really hit home. Glad that you're on this path and that we all are as well.

I'm on Day 60 (!) today. I am very grateful for being able to start each day clear-headed and end each day sober. The one-day-at-a-time thing, along with many other tenants of the program, has been life-changing for me personally.

The first 30 days sucked pretty bad, but I'm starting to feel like what I assume my 'normal' to be.

Love and strength to all of you.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Congrats everybody on doing so awesome, we're kicking our AV's A$$ one day at a time!

I was biking today and started thinking about drinking. I drank to get buzzed and in a way I miss it some, but I know where it's going to lead if I pick back up. On the way home I was cranking a classic tune by Alice In Chains "see the cycle I've been waiting for, it ain't like that anymore." Hell yeah
Old 05-04-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning! I was just watching a morning show where they were throwing ninja stars at a target! I thought about us. I'm going to get the AV right in the bullseye one day.

Congratulations to everyone with milestones - 50 and 60 days! How fantastic. In fact any day sober is fantastic. We really are kicking the thing together.

Mish, gardening is so relaxing. I guess you are moving into the dry season now. I love living a country with four solid seasons. I'm from Victoria so seasons are generally defined has hot or cold. Here in Japan, every 3 months or so is a total transformation of the landscape. I've put in cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce and broccoli because it's still cold at nights but should be able to plant most things by the end of next week. I plant about 20 different types of veggies and herbs. It's great not to have to buy veggies all summer and autumn.

AV piped up again briefly last night, but a cuddle from hubby put it to rest.

Napaste, thank you for sharing your story about your child. As bad as it was to have to go to the hospital, what a great win for you to be able to take charge and be there for them. So happy for you.

Have a great day everyone 😊
Old 05-05-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Just had a lovely lunch at the local pub with hubby. He drank beer and I drank lemonade. I am so grateful I have been able to keep sober for this long. Every day is a blessing. I really do need to get started with exercise again though to get my energy levels up though. I'm feeling really tired lately. How is everyone else doing this weekend? xxx
Old 05-06-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sounds like a lovely lunch, Mish.
I'm doing quietly and ok
I need to resume my walking each day now the fine weather's returned.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 50 & feeling nifty.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 50 days JCNY. You're doing an awesome job. xxx
Old 05-06-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats JCNY

D
Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good morning all! I have 50 sober days today and feel good. Congrats JCNY. It's great to be counting together. I'm pretty tired though. It's been my first real busy period at work this week in my new job. I like be being busy but the housework is building up. Oh well, deal with it later!

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day. 😊
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey Ninjas, hope everyone's having a sober weekend.

JCNY, congrats on day 50. Fantastic accomplishment. I'm so happy for you. Looking California, feeling Minnesota, right?
Sandy O, congrats on 50 too!!! You Ninjas are doing awesome.