Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 13

Old 10-08-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies,

Haven't checked in here in a bit, I see many of you every day in the 24 hour thread, but was just thinking about a few friends we haven't heard from in a while and just wanted to post ans send lots of love to all Jannies. If you happen to be reading this and haven't checked in for a while please do,

❤️Delilah
Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hello Jannies. It's been quite a while since I've checked in here. I've been sober for nearly 7 months now. I never imagined that I would be in the place where I accept and am relieved that I don't drink. I do not miss the madness that alcohol created in my life. The past 6 months have proven that life is challenging enough. I love being sober. I love being aware of my emotions, both good and bad.

Life is pretty good overall. My brother was here for a week and we had the best time we have ever enjoyed together. He had a serious problem with hard drugs and was able to stop. Now he is one of the best people I know! A few fleeting thoughts of having a drink to "fit in" came up but ever so briefly. The lastest was a few nights ago when my husband and I were having dinner at a fancy hotel. I did think (again briefly) that we could share a bottle of local wine for the atmosphere. He ordered a glass of red and I ordered grape juice from the same winery. We had a wonderful evening. It would not have been so if I had chosen the bottle. I'm at the stage now that it is my choice not to drink. Not because I shouldn't or I can't, because I choose not drink.
I listen to a lot of recordings from Louise Hay. There are audiobooks online. I'm not talking to a therapist or anyone so it's nice to hear someone "talking" directly to me and helping me think in a different way. I'm trying to be more positive but it's not always easy. I'm trying to use her suggestions in being more positive. For example, instead of saying "don't forget..", say "please remember.."

I'm also able to deal with emotions better as I've mentioned in the past. Our little cat which I successfully nursed back to health has been missing for about 3 weeks now. I let myself cry about him whenever I need, but oddly I'm not making it a huge drama for everyone to know. We miss him terribly and he had a wonderful, happy life with us. I feel sad and grateful that we were able to meet and love him.

Glad to hear many of you checking in the 24 hour thread. I hope you are all doing well in your life, and for those struggling I wish you the courage to keep trying to break this destructive habit. In the beginning of my lastest sobriety run, I just couldn't get how I was supposed to just accept that I can never drink, when I didn't believe it. Wise Dee answered to do the actions as if you did believe. Fake it, til you make it, I guess.

Thanks for your continued concern and support Delilah.

Have a great day everyone 😊
Old 10-11-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you Sandy

D
Old 10-11-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hi Sandy,

It is so great to hear from you. Congratulations on almost seven months sober, that is fantastic! I'm glad you had a great time with your brother.

Hope to keep see you checking in!!

❤️Delilah
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Hello Jannies. It's been quite a while since I've checked in here. I've been sober for nearly 7 months now. I never imagined that I would be in the place where I accept and am relieved that I don't drink. I do not miss the madness that alcohol created in my life. The past 6 months have proven that life is challenging enough. I love being sober. I love being aware of my emotions, both good and bad.

Life is pretty good overall. My brother was here for a week and we had the best time we have ever enjoyed together. He had a serious problem with hard drugs and was able to stop. Now he is one of the best people I know! A few fleeting thoughts of having a drink to "fit in" came up but ever so briefly. The lastest was a few nights ago when my husband and I were having dinner at a fancy hotel. I did think (again briefly) that we could share a bottle of local wine for the atmosphere. He ordered a glass of red and I ordered grape juice from the same winery. We had a wonderful evening. It would not have been so if I had chosen the bottle. I'm at the stage now that it is my choice not to drink. Not because I shouldn't or I can't, because I choose not drink.
I listen to a lot of recordings from Louise Hay. There are audiobooks online. I'm not talking to a therapist or anyone so it's nice to hear someone "talking" directly to me and helping me think in a different way. I'm trying to be more positive but it's not always easy. I'm trying to use her suggestions in being more positive. For example, instead of saying "don't forget..", say "please remember.."

I'm also able to deal with emotions better as I've mentioned in the past. Our little cat which I successfully nursed back to health has been missing for about 3 weeks now. I let myself cry about him whenever I need, but oddly I'm not making it a huge drama for everyone to know. We miss him terribly and he had a wonderful, happy life with us. I feel sad and grateful that we were able to meet and love him.

Glad to hear many of you checking in the 24 hour thread. I hope you are all doing well in your life, and for those struggling I wish you the courage to keep trying to break this destructive habit. In the beginning of my lastest sobriety run, I just couldn't get how I was supposed to just accept that I can never drink, when I didn't believe it. Wise Dee answered to do the actions as if you did believe. Fake it, til you make it, I guess.

Thanks for your continued concern and support Delilah.

Have a great day everyone 😊
Hi Sandy- I've been thinking of you! there is someone on the 24 hour thread with the same Avatar and everytime I see it I hope it's you. Glad to see you here of course, and hear that you are doing well. It seems you've come such a long way in these 7 months- I am so proud of you and happy for you at the same time. I love that you ordered grape juice- that is just awesome!

I love Louise Hay too and can't believe I missed her passing in September. Can you recommend your favorite audiobook please?

Again, you brought a smile to my face this morning just seeing your post. Keep doing what you are doing because YOU my friend, are amazing!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies,
I am doing okay, at least today. You may hear my constant moaning on the 24 hour thread as I battle these awful mood swings. These first 5 months of sobriety have been pretty awful. No pink cloud this time- no good times at all really. I mean being sober is great, don't get me wrong, but the irritability, depression and anger is pretty bad. I'm trying to detox my liver as I know it is probably struggling and I also know that anger is related to the liver. I have started yelling at my kids more than ever these last 5 months- I can't wait to get better at parenting and I don't know if that will ever happen. They push my buttons like nothing ever before with their fighting, non stop activity, and of course the lack of listening.

Anyway, all of that is just a matter of me learning how to cope with stress and button pushing and I am truly working on it. I want so much more for my life and myself, my marriage and my children. I feel like every day is a step closer, even on the days when I am left apologizing for my behavior.

This is hard. Life is hard.
But damn it, I am not a slave to the bottle anymore and that is worth a lot.

Love you guys...
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better SFL - I promise

D
Old 10-19-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Good morning Jannies,
I am doing okay, at least today. You may hear my constant moaning on the 24 hour thread as I battle these awful mood swings. These first 5 months of sobriety have been pretty awful. No pink cloud this time- no good times at all really. I mean being sober is great, don't get me wrong, but the irritability, depression and anger is pretty bad. I'm trying to detox my liver as I know it is probably struggling and I also know that anger is related to the liver. I have started yelling at my kids more than ever these last 5 months- I can't wait to get better at parenting and I don't know if that will ever happen. They push my buttons like nothing ever before with their fighting, non stop activity, and of course the lack of listening.

Anyway, all of that is just a matter of me learning how to cope with stress and button pushing and I am truly working on it. I want so much more for my life and myself, my marriage and my children. I feel like every day is a step closer, even on the days when I am left apologizing for my behavior.

This is hard. Life is hard.
But damn it, I am not a slave to the bottle anymore and that is worth a lot.

Love you guys...
Sunny,

I am really proud of you for all of the hard work you have been putting in over the past few months. Things are definitely going to get better. Did you ever get Love and Logic? It is one of my very favorite parenting books.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies.
I hope everyone is doing well. Sunny, one of my favourite audiobooks is “you can do it!”. I am working on gaining my confidence back after years of self-harm through alcoholism. I want to be more emotionally stable, particularly at work. My mum always said no matter what happens behind closed doors, always keep a happy composure at work. Others don’t need to know your problems.
I’m not sure I agree with this completely but i’d like to be more consistent and not take everything so personally.
Sunny, I am so proud of you too. You have worked soooo hard. And yes, life is hard! But how much harder was it when we drank? I can’t believe we all put ourselves through that empty life we created through drinking. Life will calm down, once we start to calm down and enjoy the life we have all worked so hard for. With two young boys, I think I would be yelling a lot too. Little boys are so cute and cheeky, but frustrating i’m Sure. Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all love you here. I love your honesty and kindness to other members. Relish the good days and get through the bad ones.

Wishing everyone a happy day 😊
Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Sunny,

I am really proud of you for all of the hard work you have been putting in over the past few months. Things are definitely going to get better. Did you ever get Love and Logic? It is one of my very favorite parenting books.
No, amazingly enough I don't have that one in my super large collection! I will look into it Thanks for the love...
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies,

Just checking in to say hello. I see most of our class in the 24 hour thread, or those who still post from our class. I wish I knew how Thump and Odelle are doing. Also Nic, haven't heard from you in a bit.

As we head into the holiday season I want to thank each of you for being such a big part of my recovery.

Love you all!!!
❤️Delilah
Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies, just thought I’d pop past and say a quick hello.. I’m doing ok, and I’m sober. Went through a tough couple of months but I’m going well again. I’ll try and check in a bit more often, and catch up on all the recent posts over the weekend..
Sending love to all xx
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you guys again

D
Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

So wonderful to hear from you, Nic. Sorry to hear about your tough time, but you are sober now! That’s all that’s important. Each sober day is a precious gift we give to ourselves everyday.

Really happy to see you back with us. Lots of love 💕

Take care.

Hi all Jannies. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

So wonderful to hear from you, Nic. Sorry to hear about your tough time, but you are sober now! That’s all that’s important. Each sober day is a precious gift we give to ourselves everyday.

Really happy to see you back with us. Lots of love 💕

Take care.

Hi all Jannies. Hope everyone is doing well.
Hi Sandy,

Thanks so much honey.. I'm doing much better now. Everything seems so much worse when I'm drinking! You're right, it really is a gift.. xx Happy to be back again xx
Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies.
I hope everyone is doing well. Sunny, one of my favourite audiobooks is “you can do it!”. I am working on gaining my confidence back after years of self-harm through alcoholism. I want to be more emotionally stable, particularly at work. My mum always said no matter what happens behind closed doors, always keep a happy composure at work. Others don’t need to know your problems.
I’m not sure I agree with this completely but i’d like to be more consistent and not take everything so personally.
Sunny, I am so proud of you too. You have worked soooo hard. And yes, life is hard! But how much harder was it when we drank? I can’t believe we all put ourselves through that empty life we created through drinking. Life will calm down, once we start to calm down and enjoy the life we have all worked so hard for. With two young boys, I think I would be yelling a lot too. Little boys are so cute and cheeky, but frustrating i’m Sure. Don’t be so hard on yourself. We all love you here. I love your honesty and kindness to other members. Relish the good days and get through the bad ones.

Wishing everyone a happy day 😊
I'm sorry it took me this long to respond to this beautiful message! You are so kind and supportive and I thank you.

I totally get wanting to have more composure at work. I am one of these people who always says to much and let's people in to easily. I like your mother's advice and I agree that it's nice to keep that strong face at work. At the same time, if you are close with your co-workers I think it's okay to show the true you as well. Such a fine line between revealing who we are and focusing on showing who we want to be. It's hard to know what to do really! But not taking everything so personally is a great place to start. My therapist gave me a trick last night- just say to yourself, "this means nothing to me" when someone says something bad/mean/something you would normally take personally. Try and detach from the words/actions since in reality, we are the only ones who can give meaning to words/ actions hence taking them personally.

Thank you for the audiobook recommendation! My brother just sent me a book in the mail yesterday called, "Start Where You Are" by the buddhist nun Pema Chodron. It's about "for cultivating fearlessness and awakening a compassionate heart." I'm only a few pages in but it's great so far.

Hugs and love to you Sandy- I am so proud of you and the journey you are traveling!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in to say hi and wish you all an early, wonderful Thanksgiving if you are here in the states and a day of gratitude if you are oversees! I am so grateful for all of you, for SR, for my sobriety. It took me 6 months to finally feel alive again but the pain and waiting was so worth it. Here's a hug from Maryland, USA!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great Thanksgiving you guys

D
Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving everyone xx
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Jannies & Dee,
Since most of you check in on the 24-hr. thread I rarely visit our class thread.

Two years ago this month I was drowning. Our class and SR saved my life. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! And for those who no longer check in but may read this....you know who you are. Thank you.

Love to all!