Notices

F.I.S.T. #2 (Finely Implemented Sobriety Techniques)

Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Happy 10th, Dee! You bring so much to these forums.

The name of this thread Finely Implemented Sobriety Techniques is intriguing. Is there a list or something of said techniques?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Welcome, Centered! It's great to see you here!

This is Part 2 of the original F. I. S. T. thread. We liked the take-no-prisoners attitude of the acronym F. I. S. T.--so we originally made it stand for "First Insanity Survivors' Thread."

Our collective goal is to conquer the insanity of addiction; so when the thread went to Part 2, we de-emphasized the insanity and accentuated our "fine implementation" of life coping mechanisms.

For numerical lists of techniques for the trenches of temptation, Dee has posted a lot of links over the years.

Would you mind posting some again, Dee?

On this thread we mainly share our own individual experience, support, and hope as we face the various challenges of daily life.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Pj, I was not feeling offense of any preaching (I don't think anyhow, yesterday seems like a distant memory already).
It was also a reminder for me. I went to a meeting last night. Once again, showed up half way through as I didn't do my due diligence in looking up the proper location and time.
There was a member who spoke of getting into the negative thinking as she once did while she was using. She stayed sober throughout but felt like she was slipping.
I could really relate to that, as I've been there more than once. I know how important it is to have that face to face support, to step into those rooms and feel the love and understanding and give it back. I know when I stay away from my supports and my important recovery plan points too long I fool myself into thinking "life as usual" and go back to attempting to control and manipulate situations.

I do regret not getting to more meetings this weekend as I really have a packed schedule until April 29th so I can't make any more meetings til then.
But, I can read, journal, stay in touch with my supports, listen to speaker tapes, and I've been praying lots and watching/listening to all sorts of motivational youtube videos including a sleep hypnosis one which I thought, hey. Might as well try it all out.

FIST stands for whatever resonates with you most... it's how we work our sobriety, in unity, recommitting each day.
Nothing too magical or unique about it, it's not First Into Sober Time tho to be sure.
Blah blah blah I write waaay so too much. This is also a place to talk about beards and vent often. Good for laughs too.
This is a place for me to talk to adults as I get to talk to urchins, scoundrels, and rugrats most of the live long days.

I am mostly prepared for the upcoming apocalypse. Please send fortitude and patience if you have any to spare. I will unleash the insanity on the gaggle of tiny devils in my care over the long weekend just for poops and giggles.
I have an Easter party planned for six kids and moi.

I can't shake the crazy. *shrug*
Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I forgot to add, will not drink today.

I have 99 bottles of beer stuck in my head. Kind of a nana-booboo to my addiction.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Scoundrels? My favorite name for them is "urchins!"
Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Are we talking about rug-rats?
rapscallions!
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Centered!

Here's a Finely Implemented Sobriety Technique right here:
Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post

I have 99 bottles of beer stuck in my head. Kind of a nana-booboo to my addiction.
you'll find such wisdom scattered throughout the thread, I hope. Stick around & realize your own
Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Whenever you're feeling down, just remember,
there are kids out there,
well actually, here in my house,
who march around crying out proudly,
"I'M A LOSER!"
Joke that they're a weiner,
insist that they're actually a winner,
tease that they're whiners
when they get REAL upset with you
Because THEY. ARE. LOSERS!
Anyways, tell them otherwise at your own peril.

I also, wanted to make some rice before lunch, for lunch. started it around 11 something. 20 minute Jasmine rice. Almost 3 hours later I finally had cooked through rice albeit gummy mush.

#losersarewinners
#winningatlosing
#winnersneverwinandlosersneverquit
#ifyoucantbeatemjoinemorhitharderhahaha
#ifyoucantwinemoverjustjointhelosermovement
#proudloser

hashtag Ihatehashtagsandneverdohashtags
just certain times they seem so, "right".
###
Old 04-10-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

DELZ- NANA RICE? Sometimes meetings just do not do anything for me. Yesterday a lady with the (had to, just HAD TO HAVE) classic monotone voice- who did not focus, just wandered in her thoughts...for 25 minutes. I did the Desiderata bit- everyone has their story. So I tried to listen without judgement that she was just attention seeking and boring. Yep- listened more intently.
By the end of the monologue I was mentally somewhere else. She was boring. BUT sometimes a meeting is good for me- for no other reason than just to be around people.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
p***enger

Del, I screwed up the rice tonight too, and I've made rice about 4 nights a week for decades, I can do it in a blackout but I couldn't do it tonight.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi All,

It's been an interesting day. I slept poorly, yet, had a somewhat productive work day. Forced myself to the gym and ended up having a couple great conversations to lighten the grind.

Actually considered trying to find somebody to make the coffee for my home group AA meeting so I could blow that off. I didn't and went to that as well. I was rewarded with an invite be a fellow HG member that has a food truck to work the grille at Tampa's Best Grilled Cheese Festival this Saturday. No small invite...I told my ex for years that it would be a dream come true to be a short order cook in semi-retirement.

Oh, then the meeting itself. Well, I always look for that special takeaway and my namesake, a real Carlos offered it in spades. He said something to the effect that he sure doesn't agree with everything that goes on around him - but, he does accept it. Not accepting brings resistance and behind resistance is pain. Wow, real Carlos, that was good stuff for me to hear today...thanks.

One might think, okay, enough for today. For sure some lemonade was made. Not a chance. Spoke to that oldest rug rat upon returning home to find out that she is expecting her second baby girl. Truth be told, my oldest and I have struggled since her mom and I divorced,,,that's another story for another day. Then, as luck would have it, I had sent fresh homemade blueberry jam and a Dr Seuss collection to my granddaughter just today.

It's been a strange and very good day. So grateful to have been clean and sober and present to absorb the things that just kept coming.

Finally, it's lights out and make up sleep for last night's lacking would be a wonderful gift...but, I'm willing to accept whatever.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing all that when you must be exhausted both physically and mentally! Congratulations on the new grandbaby.

I'll be pondering awhile the other Carlos ' words : "behind resistance is pain."
Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
p***enger

Carlos, that's a wonderful day. You're doing a good job living a good life, I think.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Carlos that sure does sound like a very nice day. Brought a smile to my face and gave me the warm and fuzzies.
Resistance is futile! I like that the real Carlos and his quote.
Pj I hear you. I always need a meeting. It was I think, only really early on in my time in aa that i really did take it or leave it. It often got in the way of my drinking, so. I had this lofty notion that I could fit in 5 meeting in 3 days on my days off. All that and shopping for a months worth of shtuff and towing around a 4 year old. Lofty indeed.
I always have SR. But I am a face to facer. I need the human connection to keep my head in check.

Courage, wtf hey. I was thinking along the same lines, like I am 33 I've been making rice since I was 10ish yes I used a rice cooker then when I adulted I used a pot proper. Every now and again I screw it up but this was just horrendously bad.
Anywho, some researching and I think I've figured out the trouble. The directions on the back say 1 part rice to 1 and 1/5 water. Yes you read that right. Anyways, google says jasmine is 1 to 1.5 which I think is what maybe they may have meant??
It must be something in the air. I didn't serve is to anyone but myself. Smeared with marg and soaked in soya sauce tastes like good ol mush. It's going incognito in meatloaf muffins tomorrow. Because I am a master of wizardry in the kitchen.
Well, at least I was when I cooked with wine. (you know the stupid meme)
Yes, I also have come to realize, I don't know what it is,, , but I could cook amazingly elaborate and time consuming meals, catering to a dozen or 20 or more... all myself, stock freezers bake tons of delicious breads, buns and sweets and pretty much everything from memory when I was drinking.
Now I can't cook rice.

Some things are gained, some are lost, some for good, some for a bit... I dunno. We'll see what the future holds for me in the kitchen department.

I survived today. I have a sledge hammer headache. Fighting with an almost 4 year old to eat her supper for almost two hours.
She ... whatever fill in the blank she did it... except for eat her damn supper..
I can tell you one thing. I am getting really good at ppulling out my patience. And I can outstubborn her any day. Because I know all these fits she throws every one I don't give in to puts up a new boundary and teaches her and reinforces what's ok what's not.

I have practice with that stupid little devil in my head and those childish tantrums. Patience and persistence pays off.

My brain hurts. Night all you awesome peeps. I'm waking up 100 tomorrow. Feels like a birthday. More exciting than 90, don't know why.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Carlos, congrats on the new grandchild to be!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Making some good progress on my current book project. I'm still on phase one of getting all the research up-to-date, but I'm taking it one day at a time. It'll still be months before it's all completed and at the printer.

Have a great Tuesday, all!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Courage, I had no idea that you were 50ish! I love reading all you peoples' posts! You are all very witty, funny, smart and insane! You all have railroad potential, you missed your calling! Oh well, I wish I could spill my guts like you guys do. I have always kept a lot of my feelings and opinions to myself. I've let them out a little a few times on here then I go back and read them later and I think, "why did I write that? That was stupid!" Or I think about it a lot and hope I didn't offend anyone. Also I can't type, I'm a pecker. My high school career was very short lived. I really didn't have time or interest because of all the drugs I had to take and smoke! I'm kinda practicing typing on line a little but it's hard to stay focussed. Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful sober day!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm sure I can speak for the whole group when I say I'm very pleased with everything you give us, Tom!

I've often felt sure that I've overshared: the editing window has expired and I want to slink away and hide! But people here are kind. Everybody can use a safe place to unload sometimes.

Del, your cooking skills haven't disintegrated! That rice was obviously a fluke--you're probably right about the recipe misprint.

Keep in mind you're in a different season of life right now: different life skills are I'm the forefront. Maybe your HP is teaching you things about loving yourself for you, even if you're not the "consummate woman!" Using such a ridiculous thing as rice!

OH! And CONGRATULATIONS on 100 days!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 100 Dels!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too Del

I wouldn't worry Gilmer I can't remember any over sharing from you

D
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 100 (permalink)