Notices

F.I.S.T. #2 (Finely Implemented Sobriety Techniques)

Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Badge, thanks for checking in. I've been thinking about where you were the past few days. I missed where you were on vacation.

Age talk....haha, I'm at that point in my 60's where I need it to be a state of mind. Thankfully, my schedule and life circumstances affords me the luxury to spend time and energy daily on fitness and nutrition. Two "good" things that I have become obsessive about in recovery.

Toml, fear not...I only began my sober journey at 60, and it's been filled with some of the best years of my life.

Enjoy your nature walk and reflective time today, FBL.

Hope all is settling down a bit for you and the new address experience, Glee.

C2, I hope that you are able to find a glass half full human experience today that will balance yesterday.

Gilmer, looks like your Higher Power was at work for you to assemble accomplishment in tiny chunks. Actually, that is my desire for today...to cut into a variety to do's. I'll for sure be asking for guidance.

DZD, have you hit triple figures? If so, Happy 100 - and, congrats.

I've invited a friend to pop in and share. I hope that she does....especially since she is 4 YEARS clean and sober today!

Off to that man/horse thing.

Have a good one, all.

Carlos
Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

My sponsor became sober at 69. He is 8 years sober now
Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Does he have a beard?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Age ain't nothin' but a number I got sober at 43. I'm now 51 and feel better than I did at 31. Of course, living sober just MIGHT have something to do with it!
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
p***enger

I got sober at 50 and it didn't stick until 51, when I got medicated I'm happier and more able to cope with the world than I've ever been in my life.

It was a big thing for me to realize -- and keep re-realizing -- that when the addiction and brain chemistry problems abate, I still have "me" to contend with. To be honest that's gotten harder in sobriety. There's so much more "me" and it has nowhere to hide.

When I was first in AA, there was a man in my home group who was famous in the NYC rooms. He was mentally ill, and he sat in meetings rocking back and forth or twiddling his thumbs, sometimes cackling or talking to himself. He liked to share -- more than once he shared about conversations he had with squirrels.

He followed all the rules: raised his hand, didn't speak unless called on, under 3 minute shares. He liked to come very early to get cookies and hang about. At some point he got banned from early arrivals but when I set up the room I'd let him in despite the ban. He called me Becky Thatcher.

I'm very grateful I was present when he celebrated his 20 year sobriety anniversary. He fumbled about for a bit & then recited, beautifully, in a booming voice, Teddy Roosevelt's words: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

A lot of people thought he was crazy, and he was, but he had nothing to be ashamed of.

Have a good day, peepholes.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

no beard
Old 04-09-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

At a restaurant I saw on the menu a craft beer called "Lost Rhino Faceplant."

Is that cool or what?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
At a restaurant I saw on the menu a craft beer called "Lost Rhino Faceplant."

Is that cool or what?
Actually, there's lots of cool sounding craft beers out there nowadays. I'd never drink them, of course, but I gotta give 'em credit for creativity.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Giggles, smiles and chills. What wonderful posts for a wonderful day! True to my physical day too. Sunny and chilly here- just spent a small fortune on food and Easter workend for me and my chil'uns, zomg. So much bank! Emptying!

Hi FBL, Pj, Carlos, courage, Gilmer, glee you around? Hi Dee! Ok whodimiss?
Hope all is well. My slow rise to insanity starts again tomorrow.
I haven't gotten to a single meeting this weekend yet. Tonight though.
I feel funny- I saw a fellow member at wallyworld whom I very much enjoy their company. Yet I turned my head as though I hadn't seen them and carried on turning down the aisle. Not necessarily ducking them but, I feel kind of like my sponsor is giving me mental heck for not going to meetings Every. Single. Day. She intimidates me. So I don't reach out as much. Or maybe I just don't know how to utilize a sponsor? Or it's that and the trust thing.. I really don't know her at all. She knows my story but it's my day to day. I'm afraid of how I will react to getting into sh*t for that which I do or do not. Hmm. I am pole vaulting over mouseturds.
All things being said, it's not what's keeping me from meetings, merely my schedule and the fact I'm wiped by the time my days off come.
But no excuse today, and no drinking either.

I may even finish out this month ahead financially!!! AMAZEBALLS!!!
But not counting chickens and all that.

Carlos- 2 more days!!

courage- I love that. It really gave me chills. It's what this is all about isn't it?

Gilmer, I wonder how many drinks people have to have before coming up with those names? Or alternatively how many years sober and slightly insane?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

DELS- my sponsor was once told by his (after saying too tired for a meeting one night), tiredness never stopped him in the past from going out in the middle of the night- even in bad storms, to buy booze. Just saying.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

A chef friend came over this afternoon to grill steak. He brought a big bottle of red wine.

I figured 3 out of 8 people would have some, so I got down three glasses and washed them (because they were super dusty).

The chef and his wife were standing ther, and my husband marched in and glared at me for getting the wine glasses. He then told them that we don't drink wine in the house because I get really tempted whenever anyone drinks in front of me.

I felt like a five year old! I understand that he was trying to protect me, and I really, really appreciate that; but, really, it's been almost 3 1/2 years. It's true that I don't like having alcohol in the house; but I'm past the days where I need to make an issue of it with normies.

I'll have a talk with him after they leave. If it happens again with anybody else, I wouldn't put people on the spot; I'd like to go ahead and serve wine to whomever wants it--and then afterward maybe my husband could tell them that our house is generally dry.

I don't mind people knowing that I've got a problem; but I don't want to give them the impression that I'm always right on the edge of losing it!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

courage I was just thinking about the age thing too.. I am the youngest one in this thread atm?
I have been known to lament about the few years I wasted drinking and where I could be right now if I hadn't spiraled down to where I got...
Then I was thinking, in 10 years I'll be 43... By then I don't know how much it'll feel more than 33. But my youngest will be almost 15... my oldest almost 23, and what a world of difference it'll be in their lives. So much can happen in ten years. I might be sad for what once was and is gone, what could have been, but really, I'm opening the door to a world of possibilities that were once shut out by "If I only wasn't so drunk so much I could..."

I love the Teddy Roosevelt quote. It's one of my favourites.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Pj- yep. I know this. And it's something my sponsor would say too and my counselor. And a truth I've said to many of my friends from addictions services/aa/treatment etc.
To be fair, I was also quite sick. Feeling tip top today and getting my affairs back in order.
Going to leave soon to pick up another mom to an NA meeting.

Courage, as well intentioned as he was that does really suck. A different approach would have been better or let it rest in your hands seems a little more generous and fair to you.. but what's done is done. After his scolding, don't forget to give him a hug or kiss. He meant well. And I know how you feel.
Honestly, at least he cares enough to say something.
I was two weeks out of treatment and in a house full of italian family and booze, just constantly, no escape either. It was quite, torturous. To say the least.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ I don't think I should go around kissing Gilmer's husband, Deliza, but your thoughts to her are just right

I saw a very ancient maiden aunty today. It was really quite a nice visit. She reminded me of my midwestern gothic life but you know she had a worse case of it than me plus plus, and she manages to get around.

Fare-thee-sober for now
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

^^^ mid-western gothic wife..... she manages to get around.
Nope. I read that all wrong.

Waaay too much bank emptying today to get ready to feed the scoundrels for the next month.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Scoundrels? My favorite name for them is "urchins!"
Old 04-10-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Are we talking about rug-rats?

No drinkin for me today.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Yes!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Lmao!!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

delz- being sick and doing anything sucks. In fact to push TOO much at the expense of health is not good. Fatigue - well sleep is nature's medicine, they say. So take my sponsor and my sage advice with a healthy dose of reality and antibiotics or whatever. I hope you know I was not preaching to the converted- more reminding myself in some ways. Just saying