Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-06-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Checking in here at Day 32. I was/am super pumped to get to Day 30. Just acknowledging that here and at last night's meeting feels like a nice positive step. Feeling good and sending good thoughts to all of you. I'll check in more often; hectic week.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on moving into month 2, BetterIsBetter! Very inspiring.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Congrats on moving into month 2, BetterIsBetter! Very inspiring.
From me too, fantastic!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

We have a couple that we hang out with and it is always full on drink to get drunk! Well they have asked us for almost a month now to go to their beach house for a weekend. I kept coming up with excuses and valid ones so I wasn't lying. However I'm all out of reasons too makeup and was just asked again so I just told them that I don't drink anymore and I'm sorry if that's a problem for them and that I'm not sure how they would feel having non-drinkers around to hang out with. It's been a few hours and I haven't heard back. LOL
Old 04-06-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

sunshine72 - my condolences on the passing of your grandmother; wishing you strength, courage, and mindfulness as you deal with that and with visiting your sister.
Hope you have a peaceful time at the beach.

Take care, all
Old 04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good job simply putting the truth out there, sunshine72.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
sunshine72 - my condolences on the passing of your grandmother; wishing you strength, courage, and mindfulness as you deal with that and with visiting your sister.
Hope you have a peaceful time at the beach.

Take care, all
Thank you so much. The visit with my sister was great.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Wrapping up day 20. My wife wanted to go to happy hour today so we did. I've been to a few bar/restaurants recently with no urges. The misses has 1-2 drinks and we both get food. I enjoy it as we're not there too long and there's usually more of an older professional crowd. On the flip side, a friend asked me to go bar hopping in Manhattan last Friday - that was a firm NO.

Remember- if you're ready to drink, think it through and post on here BEFORE you do!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Day 3 .. again .. when i made it to day 5 about a month ago .. the situation that occurred was actually the sociopath.. i dont actually fall off the wagon at anything or do i ?

Sunshine .. visiting a jail can't be easy .. is it too mean to wish that my sister was in jail ?? lol

well im off to work (with keys).
Old 04-06-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

JCNY, my husband and I went to a happy hour dinner tonight too. We go to this place all the time because we like the happy hour menu. It was sooo hard not to have wine. We'll have to skip that place for awhile-- but DH likes their mussels.

End of Day 26.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Facing first time that having couple friends over. They brought mai tais, I told them before they came I wasn't imbibing due to my strict low-carb diet, but they cajoled and I said I would take a sip.

I did back off. Phew. But oh, everybody's drinking and I'm not. I'm missing it. But am posting here, so I know I will now not drink. Am going to make a cup of coffee, eat, and forget alcohol even exists.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestones better JCNY Casey and everyone else hitting a milestone today

D
Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made my house a no alcohol zone - I figured if I couldn't be comfortable in my own home where could I be.

I understand that not everyone can do that though but I hope you give it some thought.

There are some good tips here - don't worry about the thanksgiving title...it applies to any social occasion.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160817...val-guide.html

[the original site has gone - this is just an archived version. Perfectly safe ]

D
Old 04-06-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you didn't drink, argi. Down that road lies madness.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Goodnight March 17ers! Hope everyone is having a safe and sober night/evening/morning. Thanks for keeping me sober one more day!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I second what CaseyW said. Sober we go yee haa....
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Friends are gone. When they got here I did consider taking a sip of mai tai, but then I realized that would be a bad idea. So I said no thanks, I changed my mind.

So I resisted even the sip, and now, of course, I'm glad. But I felt like a bump on a log all evening. Can't wait till I'm thinking less about not being able to drink and more about being present and connecting with friends.

I wish I were in a different place in terms of telling people I don't drink anymore, rather than using the excuse of the low-carb diet (which though true is not the driving reason). Sunshine72, wow, am I impressed of your being so truthful with your friends. I hope that will come in time for me; right now I'll just take anything that helps me not pick up.

Goodnight Marchers; congrats to everyone with milestones! It's very encouraging.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good to hear everyone is hanging in there. I Can relate to a lot of these situations! Fortunately none of us drink anymore, so there you go... I'm feeling a little down/depressed, but oh well. That's life. Drinking sure as hell won't help. As far as my AV goes, fool me once shame on you, fool me 21 times shame on me. I won't be going back to day 1 and I won't be complascent.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning, guys. I was so tired when I got home from work yesterday that I didn't even check in here. Went to bed at 8pm.

However, I was reflecting yesterday on how the moment to moment has been easy for me in my sobriety. I mean I don't feel the urge to drink once I break a day down to hours and minutes. As long as I've poured myself some tea or soda, I'm really ok. It's just when I look at the day as a whole, or the weekend as a whole, that I find myself obsessing over alcohol. I begin to think how good a glass or dry red would be on Saturday evening, or a shot of something before dinner on a Sunday. At those times I do obsess and that's what I still have a problem with. I'm still very much focused on alcohol overall and that's where I may trip up if I don't have a plan in place. So far I've been ok but I'm aware of the traps that may await me.

On a different note, I have an AA meeting today (missed yesterday's). It's been going ok but I'm still not sure if it's a good fit for me. I'll check out SMART as well. Overall, so far so good. Happy Friday, all!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

New Marcher here

Marchers are great. I was a member of the March 2011 class, but fell off the bus. Now I am back with 12 days under my belt. March 27 is my sober date. Going to AA about 4 meetings a week and working the steps. Still writing out my "unmanageable" factors for step 1 but also realizing my inventory needs. Knowing and accepting God is a no brainer for me, so 2 and 3 are a cinch. Ive found different meetings and good people this time aroud and have a sponsor, really for the first time in over 35 years in and out of the rooms. It helps. Anyway, this time is different as my wife of 24 yrs left me the day before my birthday in March and we are separated. Ive got a lot of ground to cover and may amends to make. And I am fighting for my marriage, though possibly in vain. Glad to be here and to see some familiar folks around. Hey Dee and lookinforward!

Keep Marching!

LoftyIdeals