One Year and Under Club Part 58

Old 04-10-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Nice going on 60 days RetiredGuy!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Great going RG, we have a blues festival in Dundee and blues bands come from far and wide, USA, Europe, all over. 20 or so bars open their doors and the bands move from bar to bar. Some people settle in one bar and enjoy all the groups that come to it, others follow their favourite bands around. The first time I went sober was hard, but what made it good was how much I could enjoy the music and how much I remembered the next day!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Ooh - good tip on the apple juice substitute, Helen! If my husband wants to add a bit of wine during the cooking process, I don't object - he doesn't do it often and I figure it all cooks off. But when I'm cooking myself, I avoid it - mainly because we never really have wine open here anymore, so I'd be opening a bottle just for that. I don't particularly want the experience of pulling the cork out of a wine bottle again - it would take me right back. I put some sherry in a trifle I made for everyone at Christmas, as it's my Mum's traditional recipe and I didn't want to deprive people of the taste - it felt quite strange pouring a glass of sherry and not necking one myself (as I 100% would've done in the past!).

My in-laws were over at Christmas and kept asking my husband if I was pregnant, as I obviously wasn't drinking. They were just visiting again and it's clear that I'm not pregnant - so they have now convinced themselves that we are doing IVF!! The perils of quitting as a woman in your 30s...
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

60 days is awesome RG!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Living the life

SSOH I just watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen this morning where they used an entire bottle of red wine in a beef stew! They did say that the sauce is very strong so to only serve a little of it, but I'm thinking I will give that recipe a pass.

That is funny about your inlaws! Hopefully they aren't pressuring you about such a personal decision. My guess is they have their friends bragging about grandchildren and they are anxious to get in on that lol.

We have a blues fest every summer where I live as well. And yes it is usually a drunkfest. One thing I won't miss by not drinking is constantly having to stand in line to use the porta-potties! I don't drink nearly as much when there's no alcohol in what I'm drinking.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
SSOH I don't drink nearly as much when there's no alcohol in what I'm drinking.
Lol! Isn't that the truth Helen!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

SSOH- oh my! lol. I am in my 30's too.

Helen- wow that would be some strong beef broth. I was reading white grape juice is a good substitute for white wine in recipes too! Especially if the recipe is a little sweet...and if you want that punch add a splash of vinegar. There are so many options!

I hope everyone has a great day. I slept so hard last night I woke up and my brain was mush. I am better. I am on my 2nd cup of coffee. I also am in a campground and I heard a woman get louder and louder and then I seen her go in her camper and take a few huge swigs of something. She was so loud and I remember that is how I was. I was just drinking my tea all relaxed. I sure don't miss it.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Living the life

Midwest I don't think anything makes me feel better about not drinking than seeing someone drunk and obnoxious lol I've always heard the expression "nothing worse than being around a bunch of drunks when you're not" and I am really glad to be in the "not" camp now.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Midwest & Helen - yes, agreed. Seeing other people getting drunk and messy does a lot to strengthen my commitment to sobriety! I have an industry event coming up in a couple of months that ends with a drinks reception and I always ended up pretty drunk. Really looking forward to being able to wake up the day after it this year and not have to worry about what I might've said.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Canadian Koala, there's no law that says that over 1 year sober folks can't post here :-). Some of us Overs do pop in both to share and to encourage others. I'll be 3 years in August but my first year was really rough. I kept coming here daily for a long time because it helped me so much.

About cooking with alcohol, I've seen info Dee posted about how much alcohol is left after cooking and now I don't take any chances at all. It's not worth it to me.

Have a lovely day!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
About cooking with alcohol, I've seen info Dee posted about how much alcohol is left after cooking and now I don't take any chances at all. It's not worth it to me.
Yes I've seen Dee's chart as well. On the cooking show I watched the other day they talked about two compounds in red wine (or wine in general, I'm not sure) and how they change and get bitter the longer you cook them. So they had you add some wine at the beginning, more in the middle of cooking and then more at the end. So in theory a lot if not most of the alcohol would still be in that stew. Definitely not a recipe I will try.

I have been rethinking cooking with wine. Mostly I would use a little wine added to a gravy or sauce, but I never have open wine in the house anymore and I'm not going to buy and open a bottle of wine just for that. The apple juice is making a great substitute for those situations (especially with pork!) I will still make steak and ale pie and beef and stout stew once or twice a year as I can buy a single can for the recipe, it is cooked for hours and it isn't triggering for me, although your mileage may vary. Although now I'm wondering - how would apple juice taste in a beef stew? Hmmmm...
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

All these posts are making me hungry!

lol. I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

hi everyone ~ Been out of town on a bus trip. It was with older people and
no one drank and if they did I didn't seen them. But, just being away for a couple of days I feel like I've missed something. It's just so good to be back and be back here in my safe zone.
Hugs
Babs
Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome home Babs

D
Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Have a peaceful day soberites
Old 04-12-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hi everyone.

I had an "incident" today. I was doing groceries and I ended up in the beverage aisle (non alcoholic). I saw the clamato juice in the bartenders' blend and thought how good that is even on its own as a virgin Caesar. Then I suddenly had a craving for a real Caesar. I knew that if I brought it home I would find a way to make a Caesar with vodka. I grabbed my cart and walked away.

It was weird in that I don't usually experience that. It was a beautiful day out and I only drank Caesars on camping trips so maybe the weather triggered it? Anyway just goes to show I must never let my guard down.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

HOTtie, good to see you realized the danger and steered well clear.

Keep up the good work Undies, and find a moment to tell yourself how proud you are of what you are achieving.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good job Helen. I still am surprised at what triggers drinking thoughts from time to time.

I agree with Toots. Find a moment and pat yourselves on the back. What you are all accomplishing is pretty amazing!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 04-13-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

1000- triggers are nasty, subtle buggers. For me- a biggie flashback one is stairs. The other night it was a certain way cold, dry autumn air smells here at sunset. Often those triggers are dealt with by trying to identify it- but I cannot unthank or unfeel. And coffee.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Living the life

Yes, PJ, coffee! lol

I am so grateful for this site, and knowing I am not alone in dealing with these issues.

Have a good one everyone