Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 58

Old 06-02-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on six months Canadian Koala!

Great job on nine months SSOH!

Midwest, you are near a year very shortly, aren't you?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Stargazer!

6 months left before my graduation
from the One Year and Under Club.
I'm in no hurry to get there, you are my favorite group.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Good one, ck
Old 06-03-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Great going CK

Helen, we went to Tuscany a couple of years ago and every trip involved wine tasting. Fortunately most of them also included cheese tasting so hubby got my wine, I got his cheese! A few times I got confused looks when I refused to sample the wine, as if people truly couldn't understand why I shouldn't. I guess I don't look like the archetypal recovering alcoholic or temperance member!
Fact was I felt comfortable in my skin, I could discuss the wines I used to enjoy and liked to know about the wine making process, same as I would anything else. I took time and self belief to reach this point and I wouldn't recommend anyone 'testing' their willpower unnecessarily. It's just not worth the risk.

Have a great weekend Undies! You are awesome!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Day 351.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Great going CK

Helen, we went to Tuscany a couple of years ago and every trip involved wine tasting. Fortunately most of them also included cheese tasting so hubby got my wine, I got his cheese! A few times I got confused looks when I refused to sample the wine, as if people truly couldn't understand why I shouldn't. I guess I don't look like the archetypal recovering alcoholic or temperance member!
Fact was I felt comfortable in my skin, I could discuss the wines I used to enjoy and liked to know about the wine making process, same as I would anything else. I took time and self belief to reach this point and I wouldn't recommend anyone 'testing' their willpower unnecessarily. It's just not worth the risk.

Have a great weekend Undies! You are awesome!!!
Tuscany - how wonderful! Yes, Toots, this is how I feel. I was fine talking about drinking and what wines I like and only had that one situation that felt like a trigger. I had inadvertently leaned over someones glass of wine and unexpectedly got a good whiff of it. I knew enough to get out of that situation, not because I would have caved and drank, but because I didn't feel like white knuckling it or torturing myself.

It also became apparent how ingrained the drinking culture is in my life. I found myself cracking jokes as I always would have - oh your bought five bottles? Come sit back here with us! (and we all laugh) - and I felt really strange after saying it. It just came out without really thinking but sounded silly to me, even though at that point I don't think many knew that I wasn't drinking. I need to work on finding some new non-alcohol related material! lol

A couple sat with us at dinner that weren't drinking. When I was drinking I would have been disappointed with this arrangement and found this to be really boring, as well as stressful worrying if I was the only one getting silly (which I probably was). Instead we had a wonderful time with lots of good conversation, and I was relaxed and really able to enjoy myself.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day
Old 06-03-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Congrats CA & SSOH!! both of those are nice milestones!!!

Gatorman- congrats on 351 days!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Congrats on your milestones CK and SSOH..

I spent today in a canoe on a small pond in Northern Maine. I caught a bunch of trout right at sunset. As I was loading up my Jeep at the end of the day, I heard a tiny thought "wouldn't a drink would be good to celebrate such a great day". I just laughed and told my AV to screw off.

I am currently in the local pub (only place still open) having a hamburger and diet coke.

Sober life is good!!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

See you in the Overs in a few days Gatorman!!!

RG, yup those are the moments that catch you out sometimes, well done for recognising it for what it was. I hope you enjoyed the fresh trout.

Helen, we stopped in a pub for lunch yesterday and hubby bought me a pint of soda water. As he brought it to the table I smiled at the old dear next to me and said ' the do pour a decent G & T here don't they?' She looked surprised for a moment then grinned back as I took a huge gulp! Hubby said after that there would have been a time I wouldn't have been joking!!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I still find that the "celebratory" drink is still a thought that comes across my mind from time to time. The "great way to end a day" thought. That is how I always celebrated. Now I have the sober time to be able to play that tape through quickly to its conclusion. Well done RG!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry if I missed your milestone SSOH - congratulations
you too Gatorman

D
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks

RG that sounds like bliss, and I'll bet the trout was delicious.

Toots I laughed out loud reading that! lol

It's a drizzly morning here so I am going to spend the day playing in my sewing room with no guilt. Have a good one everyone!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Congrats SSOh and CK! Gaterman, one year right around the corner, congratulations!

It’s going to be a beautiful day today so I will be finishing up on my gardening. Only three flower boxes to go and then I can just sit back and enjoy them.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

What are you sewing Hels....a question for you...I have a good, fav pair of jeans which the rivety thing that holds the 2 front halves of the jeans together has fallen out. Is it better to get this relaced with the same- or a button? Because rivety thing is take to a tailor- button is me.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. BTW, I practice catch and release, and had a hamburger for Dinner!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
What are you sewing Hels....a question for you...I have a good, fav pair of jeans which the rivety thing that holds the 2 front halves of the jeans together has fallen out. Is it better to get this relaced with the same- or a button? Because rivety thing is take to a tailor- button is me.
PJ you can buy jean buttons that attach like a rivet at a fabric store. If I remember right you just need a hammer to install it.

I've been working on a bucket hat. I made it yesterday but wasn't completely happy with it so I took it apart today and remade it. It's much better now. Also I did some alterations.

My hobbies are about enjoying the process as much as the finished project. When people ask what I make with my woodworking tools I usually answer "sawdust" lol
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Love it Helen. I play golf and when people ask me what my handicap is I reply 'it is that I play golf!'
Old 06-05-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

yes Stargazer!! My 1 year is today!! I am really thankful!!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Living the life

Happy anniversary Midwest
Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Congrats to you too, midwest.