Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 58

Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Welcome Barbs!

Toots, I wasn't at all offended by your post!

No problem with keeping myself busy, I am currently in the middle of a seven week camping/ fly-fishing trip (Pennsylvania, New York, Maine). I will be taking another extended trip to Montana in the Fall. Life is good, especially without hangovers!

I have tried to moderate many times in the past and it never worked. I finally accept the fact that I just can't drink.

I think the only thing that would have a chance to derail me at this point would be a major life crisis , when I would just say screw it and get drunk. I hope to have built enough "sober muscles" before life throughs me one of those!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hi Barbs! Good to see you over here from the Sept group!

This pregnancy has me EXHAUSTED - which is a real problem with work, as I'm just not getting through it. All I want to do is sleep. This has me a little worried, as sleeping all day was a major symptom with my depression in the past. I think this is different, though - I feel generally OK emotionally (apart from work stress) and I think the desire to sleep is the pure physical exhaustion of growing a person! At least I have zero desire to drink at the moment - I feel nauseous even at the thought of water!

xx
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

SSOH- I hope all that will pass in your next trimester!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

NW - Yes, I agree. I think I need to regroup and get a second wind.

Hi SSOH. I was the same way with my first pregnancy way back when, lol. I slept through the first trimester, ate through the second and waited very impatiently through the third. Hope you feel better soon.

RG – Your trip sounds so relaxing. My husband and I are heading out on our first big camping trip next month. Heading to Tennessee and then Michigan and back home to MA. Of course, it all evolves around my husband’s love of motocross, lol. We have a few local weekend trips planned in between to try to figure things out. Any advice for a newbie RVer?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm very jealous of peoples holidays or upcoming holidays. Some time relaxing in nature sounds perfect! Have wonderful and relaxing trips.

I'm still enjoying this sober life. I had a big breakthrough last Friday night. It was a get together with friends from 15 years ago. This was in the prime partying time - when I was a fun and happy drunk! They all ordered an alcoholic drink but me. Although one friend offered me a drink several times. We followed dinner with karaoke. This was my big worry - how to get through karaoke sober! The answer was EASY! I had one of the best nights in such a long time. Most people had stopped drinking, a couple too drunk. But I sang and danced and drove home. I still stumbled home because my shoes 👠 were killing me (I did miss the numbing effect of alcohol then). It was such a wonderful night of good food and great company.
Instead of feeling left out and thinking that I am missing out on something, I felt none of those things. The truth is most people don't drink as much as I did. I was far more part of the group than the drunk ones. Sobriety lets us enjoy life, not forget about it in a drunken haze.

I'm learning new things about myself everyday. Still need to work on dealing with bad moods and frustrations but they only seem to last a day and not consecutively. At the moment my evening routine in dealing with these days is to eat sweets and go to bed early.

Hope everyone is doing well. I thought going out would be a huge tigger for me, but it seems to further my resolution to stay sober by looking for the positives and seeing people as I was and definitely not wanting to be that person again.

Have a great day 😊
Old 05-22-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for your post SandyO. "Sobriety lets us enjoy life, not forget about it in a drunken haze" - I like that line....
Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

hi to all.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

SandyO I find the easiest way to play the tape forward is to watch it play out in front of me with other actors lol. I'm so grateful to be sober in those moments! Well in many moments, really.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome Barbs!

Lots of thought provoking posts recently. On my monthly thread, we were discussing the life challenges that all of us are facing. The Pink Cloud period of sobriety has long passed. What we are left with is simply Life, with all its ups and downs. Complacency is indeed a challenge, especially after the first year, when we sometimes think that we have beaten this beast forever.

Every day sober I tack on, the anguish of my final days of drinking recede further into my brain. Thoughts of a cold beer on a hot day, or a glass of wine with dinner, suddenly don't seem so far fetched. The Grateful Dead used to sing," When life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door." Think it through, play the tape forward and let those thoughts just drift away, realizing the folly of what they represent. Remember, our brains have been forever rewired, waiting for alcohol to pass our lips once again. Each and every day, we have to make the decision to not let that happen. Whether at ten days, ten months or ten years sober, we all have come too far to go back to the darkness that drinking had wrought upon our lives.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

SandyO- I am glad you had a nice evening out. It really is wonderful to be able to go out and be around other people and not have to white knuckle it through the evening! That is a major thing.

Stargazer- thanks for your post!

I hope everyone has a great sober day!! I am so happy to be free!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Barbs,

I do not have any specific advice for you except to have fun!

When I retired we had planned to get a travel trailer, but I got "cold feet" about having to drive while towing it (even a small one)

Therefore, I bought a small tent and do a one way camping trip. Then my wife flies to meet me for the drive home. By then I am ready to do hotel/AirBnB stays.

Have a nice sober trip!

BTW, Great Smoky National Park in Tennessee is worth checking out.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

'ALLO BARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and everyone.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Barb- there are rv travel forums similar to how this site is laid out! I read a lot on them when I first got my travel trailer. Lots of helpful information.

HI Phoenix and everyone!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

RG we have tent camped for years. I finally convinced my husband to get the travel trailer because we have to many aches and pains I will check out Great Smoky National Park. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks MW. My husband has recently found an rv forums. We are heading out on our first trip today. We're staying local for fear of the unknown, lol.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

All this talk about campers is giving me the bug. I made our reservations for our annual September camping trip yesterday. I was newly sober for our trip last September and it was a huge learning curve as my previous camping experience always involved heavy drinking.

We've had pretty much all of the camping options over the years from tent camping to a motor home to a big fifth wheel trailer. We currently camp in a popup trailer. Mr. Troy and I did some fantasy shopping the other day, looking at new trailers. They cost more than my first house did! Too rich for my blood for something that sits parked 51 weeks a year (which is why we are now in a popup) but we are feeding our fantasies for when Mr. Troy retires. A girl can always dream, right? Lol

Have a good one everyone.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Hello all! I have not checked in for a few days so I need to catch up!

Sadly I have been in a depression funk, no reason of course, just everything and nothing as depression can do. Getting out of town for the holiday weekend and visiting my sister. Nothing much on agenda there, but I always have to clean her gutters for her. Even though at age 60 and 73 we still drive each other nuts it is good to have someone around to yap at.

But good news, still sober, no desire to drink even though I have had "reason to" as my addict kept nagging me.

Have a good weekend all, especially USA friends on Memorial Day!

Congrats to all with another 24 hours!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a lift in sports and a good weekend Drake - you too Helen

D
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Thought I'd stretch my wings a bit, and torture some more threads other than the March 16 class ~ (I see you Phoenix!)

Got the day off today which is VERY rare. But I'm hangover free

It's been 2+ months since I last drank.....my second longest stretch of sobriety ~ last year I made it 4 consecutive months after joining SR. Figured I could moderate but we all know how that goes! Glad to be here