Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 58

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Your self revelations seem spot on kopfan. It seems clear that you realize that your life is better without alcohol. Now the trick is to stay clear of it despite the trials and tribulations that life throws our way.

Welcome PurpleCat and Steely. Lots of good people and differing approaches to sobriety to be found here. Find one that works for each of you and run with it.

Live today fully everyone!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome purplecat and steely good to 'see' new Undies.

Kopfan, sorry to hear that you took a wrong turn mate, but glad it wasn't too much of a detour and that you found your way back to the right path. I remember thinking that you seemed to really have your sober life working well, and I know that you can get back to that mindset quickly enough if you are willing to put the work in - which I don't doubt you will - sometimes we have to do something we know we shouldn't - just to prove to ourselves why we shouldn't have done it! It's an all too human failing ( I wonder if that hot poker will burn me? Ouch!) so you are far from alone

Drake good to see you posting here, you have much wisdom to inspire.

I hate how advertisers just add wine to everything assuming it makes it better! It doesn't!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Welcome all new Undies! Congrats to all with another 24 under their belt! For me it is one day at a time. I am not going to drink today is what I tell myself, sometimes several times throughout the day!

Keep close (something I did not do and relapsed after nearly 4 years) to your support and remember you are not where you are going to be, but sure not where you used to be!

hi toots!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard PC and Steely

D
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Doh! "Undies" I just got it. I thought you were referring to the Aussie's as in 'the land down under'.
sheesh!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Hey everybody, I'm poppin in the club on day 53. Kopfan, I'm glad your back on the sober bus. I took a lot away from your posts that help me stay focused on not drinking.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Doh! "Undies" I just got it. I thought you were referring to the Aussie's as in 'the land down under'.
sheesh!
Some of us old timers (this is my second time around) called this group the "Undies" and the past one year group the Overs. "Overies" just didn't work!
Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Lordy no Drake! Some Overs do not like being Overies!
Though strangely even as an Over now, I still love being part of the Undies! ( I'm an UndieGraduate!)

St-Dragon, normally I initialise names, but there are occasions it is not advisable - yours is one of them! May just need to call you Dragon?

Greetings JCNY (no shortening necessary, very accommodating of you - take notice Dragon!!) and I too have taken much from Kopfans honest self awareness.

KF, I hate what brought you back bro, but am happy to see you.

Drake I always feel that believing we have enough control to manage our sobriety without support, is another of AVs insidious attempts at weakening us - separating us from the herd - without the continual reminders of the need for vigilance we become complacent, allowing for AV to worm its way into our ear and whisper sweet nothings.
That is why I attend SR daily. I believe I am strong enough to maintain my sobriety. But only because I come here daily and remember what I am. I am an alcoholic. I am an alcoholic, who has achieved four years sobriety. I live a great, and very different life now, I no longer have that narrow focus that KF spoke of when his world again reduced to 'when where and how will I get the next drink'. The real world provides its challenges for sure, but part of life is living through those challenges. You cannot appreciate the highs, unless you allow yourself the lows. Don't run dpfrom them, don't hide from them, deal with them. Like everyone else on the planet ( who doesn't use a substance to hide behind) manages.
Fact is, I have needed the strength of the words and prayers I have sought here. I'm agnostic, but knowing that someone of faith cares enough for me to send a prayer into the universe, sends me a positive power. It works. I have leant on others when my strength has foundered and I have lent my arms when others have needed carried. Alone, we leave ourselves open to the insidious patience of addiction, it never Stops walking in our shadow. United, we can do anything.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Living the life

Great points being made!

At just over the six months mark I have been getting that feeling that I've got this licked, that I don't need to check in here all the time. That complacency will only lead to trouble. Besides, it's not difficult to check in here every day, even if I only read and don't post. I love reading about what everyone in my SR family has been up to

Have a good one everyone.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

hi everyone!
Toots---you are the best ! I just click with what you say----it all makes sense. Yes, I was sober before too and this time is sooo different. I guess I want it more this time. If I don't come here everyday --I too notice the difference. This is my home.
Have a good day everyone !
Babs
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good morning!

I had a few chuckles reading the last several posts! lol.

I agree. We have to stay vigilant and keep checking in here. I sometimes think I should quit SR and that I am not an alcoholic that I put that label on myself so I could have other people to identify with. So I could be part of this club! lol.

How crazy is that? I know that isn't true. I am definitely an alcoholic but isn't our AV sneaky!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Great points being made!

At just over the six months mark I have been getting that feeling that I've got this licked, that I don't need to check in here all the time. That complacency will only lead to trouble. Besides, it's not difficult to check in here every day, even if I only read and don't post. I love reading about what everyone in my SR family has been up to

I also got this feeling around the six month mark, and after hitting one year. I find checking into SR daily is a big reality check for my sobriety. Complacency would have led me to drinking again, if it were not for all of the stories that I have read here.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Good post, Toots.

Actually in Australia- 'undies' means underpants.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I also got this feeling around the six month mark, and after hitting one year. I find checking into SR daily is a big reality check for my sobriety. Complacency would have led me to drinking again, if it were not for all of the stories that I have read here.
I feel that way after 3! Hence my wanting to stick around. Complacency is a very real concern for me.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Hey everybody, I'm poppin in the club on day 53. Kopfan, I'm glad your back on the sober bus. I took a lot away from your posts that help me stay focused on not drinking.
Welcome JCNY!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Took off to the beach and slept in the car with the wife and dogs so if there were any voices I'd be too busy to hear them!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

I had a really busy day yesterday with lots of decluttering getting underway. I had to go to the liquor store to pick up empty wine boxes to store my canning jars (their boxes got ruined in my house flood last fall, and I'm hoping the dividers in wine boxes work for my jars). I had zero temptation to shop while I was there. I have another busy day planned today to make the most of my motivation while I still have it! LOL

Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Kopfan, what a great way to chill out with the family at beach! Hope you saw a lovely sunrise 🌅

I'm feeling pretty good lately. I have no desire to drink and haven't thought about it even slightly for about week. On the one hand it is good, but I'm also very aware about the effect of complacency. I haven't put a lot of active effort into sobriety the last few days. I read on here and post, but not daily. I just read some of the new May thread to keep the reality of this clear to me.

I enjoy feeling content. Not over the moon happy, but just content with life at the moment. I go to bed knowing that I gave myself the great gift of life each day. When I think back to my old actions, I cannot believe it is the same person - and this was less than 2 months ago! I've also relapsed at times to prove to myself that I can't drink normally! How twisted is that.

I have never drank normally in retrospect. Now I don't want to even if I could (which I can't). I like having a clearer head, healthier body and self-respect. My ultimate goal in life is self-love. This will take some time. A lot of time I expect but it would be the ultimate feeling, I think.

Complacency seems to be a common concern. I really appreciate each of your posts. It really helps me keep sober each day.

Have a great everyone 😊
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Good morning folks.

I had a really busy day yesterday with lots of decluttering getting underway. I had to go to the liquor store to pick up empty wine boxes to store my canning jars (their boxes got ruined in my house flood last fall, and I'm hoping the dividers in wine boxes work for my jars). I had zero temptation to shop while I was there. I have another busy day planned today to make the most of my motivation while I still have it! LOL

I have done the same when having to go to a liquor store for boxes. A look at the prices reminds me of another reason to stay sober!

Have a great and sober day all!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

hi !
Those boxes do a good job for projects like that. I have my canning jars in some too.
Have a good day everyone !
Babs