I though I posted but maybe not - congratulations SSOH

D
Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

yes great quote RetiredGuy!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a wonderful, sober Monday all!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

My last post was on the 5th February. Shortly after that, I decided to "prove, once and for all" that I wasn't an alcoholic and I bought a bottle of single malt whisky and a glass to have a "sophisticated drink". Despite seeing Stargazers clear direction at the time that it wasn't a good idea. I think he must have seen the warning signs somewhere.

Three months later and I've proved unequivocally that one drink is too many.

Congrats to Helen on 6 months, Midwest on 11 and SG on 2 years. Great going all of you.

It feels good to be back.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Kopfan - got to admit I hoped you were just busy.

I'm glad you're back - I think we get to a point where we just instinctively shut the AV down cos it's proven a ridiculous amount of times it's just full of BS.

I really want you to be at that point now

My philosophy is I'm an alcoholic forever - but being an alcoholic is no burden - so long as we never drink.

D
Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee,
Nothing bad happened, Just slowly over the weeks it went from a few beers to beer nearly every day until I woke up a couple of days ago and thought how ridiculous it all was. Life is a lot better without drink getting in the way.

I've woken the monster and I should never have done that. But I now know in my heart I shouldn't drink again for the rest of my life.

Kopfan.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

welcome back Kopfan!

I have been wondering how you were and I am glad you are back!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I'm always glad to look into this thread for support and encouragement
everyone!
Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hi folks.

I had a really busy day working outside yesterday. As we were finishing up I had the following conversation in my head:

Me: "I should have a nice long soak in the bath as a reward"

AV: "A nice long bath with a nice glass of wine"

Me: "Bwahahaha! Silly AV - I don't drink! But a cup of tea would be lovely!"

Have a good one everyone.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I saw a commercial just now on TV for a bag of chips (Crisps). Toward the end it actually suggested a pairing of a white wine with that bag of chips! unbelievable.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I took a time out today and had to reset my frame of mind! I was carrying around some anger for whatever reason and I had to change my attitude and count my blessings! I feel a lot better now. Everything looks different!

Helen- good job on not giving the AV a chance! lol

StDragon- that doesn't even sound good. ugh.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

kopfan!!

I admit I have been a bit worried about you, mate. I don't think I have seen anyone turn their life around so dramatically in nine months as you had and then ride off into the night.

My father told me as a kid, "don't poke a sleeping bear in the eye with a stick." Admittedly, I had no idea what that meant as a child, but it really is a metaphor for living life.

Kopfan, I am glad that you poked the bear and escaped this time. We all need a little humility to realize the bear is bigger than we are!

Welcome back!

How is your wardrobe coming along?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Only 9:20 and I am falling asleep. Guess I had an active and happily soberday. So why fight it? Good night!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Drake - Great to see you here.

Kopfan - Welcome back.

I've been hearing the Kansas song Wayward Son over and over on the radio the last few weeks, and it makes me wonder how WWS is doing. Anyone heard from him elsewhere on SR recently?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad nothing bad happened Kopfan but I reckon drinking again is bad enough

D
Old 05-09-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hi all! Hope you all have a good sober day today. Feeling pretty behind on work here, but trying not to get too stressed...

Helen - good work on telling the AV where to stick it!

Midwest - being able to reset and turn things around is an amazing skill - what did you do for your 'time out'?

Drake - I love sleep since I stopped drinking! Such a pleasure to climb into bed drift off into peaceful rest rather than passing out on my face on the sofa!

x
Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I had the one drink, and it was enough to start off the whole process of thinking about drinking and all the madness in the mind that goes with it. I don't regret it; it's something that I had to do.

I was drinking beer, so I didn't have any major hangovers, but I kept waking up with that "yuck" feeling and I quickly realised that my life without a drink was a much better one.

Pretty much as soon as I started drinking again, I slacked off in the wardrobe department and almost immediately started gaining weight. I've gained about 8lbs so about a 1lb per week through a combination of beer and poor eating choices over the last two months.

My work suffered terribly. Routine went out of the window. Drinking was an excuse to sit around and do nothing. I picked up my Kindle for the first time on Sunday night and began reading again, picking up right where I left off.

Most importantly I stopped listening for messages from the Universe that were helping to guide me along. Having a fuzzy brain stops your communication with the unseen helping hands and Angels that make your life better every day.

I once wrote that I don't know why I drank, for the best part of 34 years. I believe I do now.

Drinking made me depressed. I just never knew that it had that long-term effect on me. I kept drinking to relieve the depression, each new bout of drinking would make it worse. As I got older, drinking introduced anxiety into the mix, and I would drink more to compensate for it.

This time around I drank because it was easier than fighting everyone around me and joining in became easy to do. I quickly realised that I'm not "strange" or "odd" for not drinking. Those around me who continue to drink are settling for a second best life, one that is all too easy to sit in the back seat and be driven around rather than taking the wheel.

I realise I have my work cut out to stay on the sober path. I was lucky I didn't wander off into the woods too far and managed to find my way back relatively quickly. Probably four weeks too late after I had realised there was nothing on the other side for me anymore. Indeed, if there had been anything there in the first place.

My little escapade has made my mind up for me though; drinking is not an option anymore because it totally ruins your life, even in small amounts. I played with fire and was lucky I didn't get burned.

Kopfan.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thanks for that post kopfan.

I guess I qualify for this Club having relapsed over a week ago. Just feeling my way around.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi all. 100 days ago I started on this journey to a healthier me. Our class thread is kind of winding its way down, and I like to have a place to check into so I hope I can join in here. I'm doing a group CBT session at the VA, but that ends for me in a few weeks so I won't have that support moving forward. Hopefully this group can fill that gap.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Purplecat- welcome to this thread! There are a lot of great people here and you will learn a lot! Congrats on 100 days!

Steely- welcome back!

Kopfan- great post! it is amazing how even a small amount of alcohol slows us down.

SSOH- I prayed about it and read my bible. I found some verses on thankfulness. I also did some meditation. The meditation really helps if you are overthinking. I just noticed there is a guided meditation for detachment from over thinking on youtube! I may have to try it! I hope you are still feeling well.

Drake- yes if you had a full day why fight sleep! I go to bed when I am tired now.