Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 36

Old 03-26-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
That sounds good, Mark. How do you fry your oysters up?

Sorry about your son. Must be tough to see them at that age wasting time. But I guess we all learn our own way. Some things school can't teach. Frustrating!

Enjoy your evenings all...
Hope you enjoy your evening, too, Arbor.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Goodnight, all.

See you tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And a lovely good morning to Dee and PhoenixJ.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Hi all,

Trying to shake off some disappointment in my son's behavior of late. His lack of progress was evident on the west coast, my mom even mentioned it. And finding out about a recent turn of events has me reeling a bit. I get so exasperated with him it's a wonder my head doesn't blow off! Sucks the life out of me at times but I ain't gonna drink.

It's a lovely warm evening with a nice breeze. The birdsong is constant and speaks to me. On my immediate agenda is prepping the grill for an alfresco surf-n- turf meal of steak, shrimp and a nice batch of fried oysters. I wish I could gather y'all here on my patio and share.

Wishing each of you the best week.
Sorry about the issues with your son Mark....just keep telling yourself what an amazing dad you are, because you are.

I was thinking about you today....we saw a woodpecker (and heard it of course) Really something.

And I am in love with the squirrels ~ cutest things I have ever seen.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Love and hello and goodnight my beautiful friends ~ pretty interesting around here tonight....we had a tornado warning. Boy did Nick have to explain that to me.
A touch scary for me, but nothing compared to how frightening it must be for the Aussies in the path of this cyclone. Oy. Glad you're in Brisbane Dee.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
.....I am very sorry to hear about your son, Mark.

As parents we worry a great deal about our children and it is so easy to 'project' current behavior into concerns for consequential and future behavior (the old "if he is doing this now, what will happen when" kind of thinking - I am so very guilty of that and have such a hard time staying in the moment and with the current challenge only.)

Some things are best left to our children (young adults) to figure out themselves, hard as it may be.

Sending love your way.
Thank you Leigh. I'm certainly ready for him to start figuring real life out a bit and the sooner the better. As important as I think it is for me to let the chips fall where they may, it's tricky to extricate myself from his financial life as I have to be guarantor on his rent because his income falls short. Seems that's common practice now. I'll just have to figure it out as it happens I guess.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Aaaahhhh squirrels. Hmmmmm. Can't say I share the sentiment with you there Suze!

We have several variety of woodpeckers around. They can be quite beautiful....and noisy. It's fun to read about your discoveries in your new home region. We had hail today and tornado watches around. I guess I'm used to it. But the sound of the tornado siren is ominous. I imagine spring will be beautiful up your way.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What's more common around here is a security deposit. I never had the benefit of a guarantor when I rented first starting out. Gotta do what you gotta do if your legally bound. I get it!

Would love to try your oyster recipe, but fresh ones are so pricey around here. I really like them fried nicely. There's a local seafood place that does them so right.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow, quite the electrical storm at the moment . That last bolt made me jump out of my skin!

I never had a guarantor either Arbor, just the deposit. It may be that in some parts of town he could find other options, but safety would likely be a concern. I've come to find out that when he got back to Dallas after our trip he had lost his job so he's doing a thing called 'über eats' at the moment. He's drinking a good bit too. We shall see.

Your restaurant oysters would likely best mine, but there's something fun about doing things at home. That prepackaged Zatarain's is seasoned just right for my taste though. The oysters come preshucked in a plastic container and are generally reasonably priced around here.....unlike lobster!

You guys done any preliminary house hunting to test the waters?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

House goes on the market in April (can't believe I'm saying that). Then we go look see! We get listings sent to us weekly from our agent. Just looking online temporarily to get ideas.

Work has been challenging lately. Sometimes I just want my own thing. MY way. Now is certainly not the time to make any major changes of course, but I see the writing on the wall.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Thank you Leigh. I'm certainly ready for him to start figuring real life out a bit and the sooner the better. As important as I think it is for me to let the chips fall where they may, it's tricky to extricate myself from his financial life as I have to be guarantor on his rent because his income falls short. Seems that's common practice now. I'll just have to figure it out as it happens I guess.
Tricky, indeed. And, of course, you don't want to incur a blemish of that scale on your credit score. . Tough situation. Are there many months on his lease; is it possible to seek or negotiate an early termination of the lease?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
House goes on the market in April (can't believe I'm saying that). Then we go look see! We get listings sent to us weekly from our agent. Just looking online temporarily to get ideas.

Work has been challenging lately. Sometimes I just want my own thing. MY way. Now is certainly not the time to make any major changes of course, but I see the writing on the wall.
Very exciting times, Arbor!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Goodnight, USAers. Sleep well.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning, Dee and PhoenixJ.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Arbor, I was about (what I think to be) your age when I established my business and was solo, other than support staff, for about ten years. It's been stressful and all-consuming at times but also very fulfilling. No regrets. I had a dinner meeting a couple weeks or so ago with one of my associates and his wife. If things continue as expected I'll likely let him become a partner in about three more years...and then over time liquidate my remaining equity. The last years of my career I intend to be an employee again (on predetermined parameters ). I imagine you could do similar in time if you wanted. I happen to be very fond of both my associates, kind of big brother-ish.

I hope the house hunt will be enjoyable for you two. My oldest two kids were young when we marketed our prior home to build this one and keeping the place tidy enough to show was a chore at times. We ended up building a home rather than buying. Come to think of it, we've always built new.

Well, lights out for this guy!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

mornin' sl
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Tricky, indeed. And, of course, you don't want to incur a blemish of that scale on your credit score. . Tough situation. Are there many months on his lease; is it possible to seek or negotiate an early termination of the lease?

Good news is only five months left on this lease, so not that big of a deal financially from my perspective. I guess the next five months will dictate what happens next. He says school again in August but he's also learned a bit about manipulating by telling me what he knows I want to hear. Time will tell.

Good night all...
Old 03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Mark. Sleep peacefully.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
mornin' sl
, PhoenixJ.

I can't seem to say it enough - your artwork is great!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning/night and love to all.