Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 04-02-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

How to handle a situation where I'm interested in getting to know one of my sons friends parents better, but she just says we should go out for drinks soon? Really would like to know them since our sons are hanging out alot!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just off work. It's still pouring down rain here. Checking in here and then I'm going to go to a 5 pm AA meeting and then an 8 pm one. I think there's a group dinner after the 5 pm one so I guess I'll eat there. Work was OK. Slow but OK.

Congrats on 1 week, letitgo!

Congrats on 3 weeks, bimbott! I had to look up what a Jaffa Cake is. Looks pretty delicious. The box looks somewhat familiar so maybe we have on the imported food aisle at my local grocery store.

Hope your meeting is a good one, eyes99.

How are you doing, Caramel?

I'd just keep it simple, sunshine72. "I don't drink but let's grab a coffee." Something like that. No other explanation needed.

Hope everyone else is doing well today! I'm not going to drink no matter what.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Mandosca, congrats on Day 31. You just hit the milestone I'm aiming for. The longest I've gone in probably 30 years is 30 days (and that was a long time ago). So my *first* milestone is 31. I'm at Day 7 now so only 24 days to go (wow, that suddenly sounds like a lot). But you've given me hope it's possible.

And...I think I've got some good company with letitgo (and perhaps some others?) who might be at about the same point. Let's do this!

I'm envious of both the blueberry muffin and the blueberries. I recently started a very (very) low-carbohydrate diet (Phase I) to quick-start my metabolism to start to chip away at the 30 pounds I gained since being mostly housebound for a year-plus due the chronic pain.

It's been a month in this challenging diet phase so far. On the plus side, the diet provides an extra incentive not to drink--but man, am I craving carbs. But I've lost 14 pounds so far, so am going to keep going on this phase as long as I can.

Happy Sunday!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, CaseyW. I'm doing ok, I feel better today than I have over the past week, but I'll continue to watch what I eat.
Day 20, I believe.
Best wishes, everybody, stay close
Old 04-02-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Just a quick check in at 16 days I think. I have to go to work.
Have a great sober day all 😊
Old 04-02-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats mandosca, letitgo, bimbott, bebrave, lazychemist & to everyone else hitting a milestone today no matter what it is.

Sunshine - I know I often felt, in the early days, that drinking was as important to other people as it was to me, but that was rarely the case.

Just tell them you're a non drinker and meet for coffee or something

D
Old 04-02-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Argillaceous and let it go..I'm finishing day 6 so I'm right there with you.
Got lots done today.
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone.

Sunshine..I've been in that same boat..like the others said, suggest coffee

Hugs xo
Old 04-02-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Greetings, I hope everybody had an enjoyable weekend.

Day 16 and my third sober weekend in a row, I don't think I've done that in more than 15 years. I know we all need to take this one day at a time, but I find myself thinking months ahead in regards to my health kick. "By the end of July I could weigh xxx." It's a long journey and without alcohol we can accomplish great things.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi guys, checking in day 17. Good to see people doing well. I've been thinking about food a lot too, I've been having blood sugar issues again which is so frustrating, another thing I messed up after this latest week of drinking. Hoping it gets better again soon.
Starting a new work project too which is a bit stressful, but trying to look at the positives and make sure this is a productive week. Time for some housework, have a good day/night guys.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hey Marchers. Checking in on day 8. Hope everyone had a good and sober weekend. Welcome back CaseyW.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Late check in. Congratulations everyone.
Went to the gas station for a drink. Wondered around the beer side for minute. Force of habit. Just got some waters and left. The crazy pull of the av. Still day 7 and accountable.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Checking in at day 4 and I've got things locked up until the end of the week because I'm on a spring break ski vacation with my 10 year-old daughter. A funny thing happened after we were coming back from dinner tonight. They were having this huge music festival and people were stumbling around and obviously really drunk. This one couple were really getting into a profanity laced fight with bottles being thrown! Unfortunately, she saw me in this state too many times in the past, but she surprised me when she said, "I'm so glad you're off the wagon, and this is why I won't drink when I grow up." I did have to correct her on the "on/off wagon" thing but it sure hit home. Alcoholism is such a selfish thing and it really does affect others in our lives. Good night everyone.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Late check in. Congratulations everyone.
Went to the gas station for a drink. Wondered around the beer side for minute. Force of habit. Just got some waters and left. The crazy pull of the av. Still day 7 and accountable.
That's one of the toughest situations and to walk away is awesome! However, based on my experience you better put your AV in its place before ending up in the beer aisle. This has been my AV's strategy of "easing me into the idea of drinking."
Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

30 days sober.
Today went and tomorrow- well all I can say is 'bring it!'
I want to be someone who is aware always of what the booze would do to me but also able to get on and have a life.

If every craving I ride gets me closer to that then it's going to be worth it

Xx
Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations lazychemist

D
Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

Join us for part 3 here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html