Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Checking in. I'm starting to think the universe is playing tricks on me to keep temptations at bay. First I get sick like flu sick 7 days now so it couldn't attend a rock festival I had planned on going too on Sunday! Then today I had to cancel an Anthrax concert that I had VIP to for because I forgot I promised to take my son to the beach that week. Oh me gawd!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Good for you mand
Old 03-25-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

sunsh- the universe does not play tricks, it might just all be one huge cosmic joke, but. Take the absurdity of addiction for example- how would Darwin theorise that one?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
Uggg, I just had a nice long post typed out thanking everybody for all of their kind words and encouragement and I lost the whole thing. So again, Thank you all so very much. It meant the world to me!

I was really tested today, that's for sure. My mother came over and was having a very emotional, bad day. Come to find out my parents (whom have been married for over 30 years and had what I thought was the perfect marriage) have been fighting alot and are now talking about counseling amongst other things. My mom was so upset that I called my husband and had him get a bottle of wine. I had full intention of saying F it and having some with her but I kept thinking about what all of you wrote. I decided to wait while my mom had her first glass. Then I told myself to wait just until she finished her second. Minute by minute I got through it.. Between being worried about my mother, my parents relationship and the fact that every adult was drinking besides me.. I stayed 100% sober. You were all right.. I am going to wake up tomorrow so proud of myself. So again, Thank you all so much!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful sober weekend! :-)
So proud of you Mandosca.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good on you Mandosca
I had a few of those kinds of things happen too Sunshine
It all turns out for the best
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Catchup, part II.

Evienne, Susiegirl, eyes99, RattleAndHum, Amanda05, Fradley, and all other recent newcomers: Welcome! It's so great to see new folks and to grow the loving, caring, funny, supportive, way-cool March 2017 community of people (OK, I'm a little biased) who are working toward a different life.

Tronics, who says 13 is unlucky? Congrats on making plans for the weekend. Hope it went well.

SandyO, congratulations on successfully navigating the party. Way to keep AV in check.

sunshinejunkie, wishing you the best with the new therapist, and congrats on the steps forward you've made not drinking and with your life.

Hey sunshine72, thanks for checking in; so glad you are a bit better and able to at least go out, hope you continue getting better every day. Though I'm sorry you're missing out on some great concerts, I'm glad the universe is giving a nod in your direction.

mandosca, three (thousand) cheers for posting when you were struggling! Sorry to hear about your parents' troubles but so incredibly impressed and proud of you for not drinking.

CaseyW, as Outonthetiles and Mish summed up nicely in recent posts: "We are in this together." That's, my virtual buddy, is a fact. Glad to have you back.

peacefulintent, what you said about drinking for you being a good buzz for an hour or so and then downhill is a really good point; when I slipped a couple of times this month I was much more aware of not actually enjoying it than I had before. Truth is, drinking lost its fun a long time ago; it's just took me getting blackout drunk and doing things I was ashamed of before I finally realized that.

Samantha14, thanks very much for taking the time to post. Congratulations on your anniversary and your 90-day sobriety! Your post was very inspiring to me.

And PhoenixJ, a big thanks for your continued support. You are a wonderful, steady presence here. And yeah, Darwin probably didn't see a lot of addiction on Galapagos (though maybe among fellow crew on the HMS Beagle?) but it would have been interesting to hear his thoughts on the subject. (And yes, it's time to come out of the closet: I'm a science geek.)

Again, apologies for the (second) long post of the evening. It's just because I am getting so much from you guys that I wanted to call out some of the stuff that has inspired me.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome I'm not very good at this though, I was always the weird silent girl in school... Old habits die hard I guess. So Argillaceous (I learned a new word, yay!), please don't be sorry for your wonderful long post, I love it and at least you're not afraid to speak up.

It's the dawn of day 8 for me! Like many others, I got a lot of cleaning done, more than I did in the past months combined. Got to hang the laundry outside to dry for the first time this year and it smells so nice. I even got to cutting my dogs hair, one down, three to go. After I walk my dogs I'll be at my pony to start with her Natural Horsemanship-training. I ordered a book to work with and it's beautiful and so inspiring.

Would love to hear how all of your pets are enjoying your new found sobriety!

mandosca, you've shown incredible strength by being there for your mother while not getting dragged into drinking with her. Marvellous!

A big hug to CaseyW. Hope you don't feel to badly when you wake up and are ready to get back on the sober horse with us.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in on day 9. Good to see this group are as chatty and supportive as last years marchers!

mandosca Good job getting through that! Sounds like a really difficult situation and it's wonderful you got through without drinking

Casey I'm glad you came back, I admit I was worried when you didn't post. I have a habit of not following my own advice too, I think it's really tricky when we know what to do and still somehow can't do it. I knew I needed to reach out a few weeks ago before I drank but still, didn't. Don't mean to go on about myself all I'm trying to say is I get it, no judgement here. I'm just glad you're back.

evienne I love animals too, my dogs are my best friends and I recently moved to a place out in the country where there's sheep and a very moody donkey next door

Welcome to all the newcomers!! Sorry for the scattered post I often reply on my phone which makes addressing everyone tricky, but i read everything
Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Mish!! I missed your post at first but got so excited when I saw Dee mention you, it's so good to see you back! I'm only on day 8 myself so we're in the same boat again. Let's make this the last first week. Great to see you again, I've missed you!

Lava I hope your first sober weekend goes well and isn't too stressful. I personally don't do very well if I don't have any plans or strategies, maybe you could even make a list of what to do when you get a craving any time in the future? AA can be great though I hope you find it helps
I did have one moment of weakness yesterday and it was some small emotional thing (my son seemed to prefer to play with the nanny than with me - Mothers!). So anyway, my go to thought was 'Ok, now that I have this free time, why not a glass of wine to relax?' But I quickly shut it down because whatever I'd be trying to medicate, alcohol isn't the answer at all. So I'm hanging in there.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Evienne, if you turned your head to look at the back of that class you were in, I was the other weird shy girl. If you didn't see me, great, the invisibility cloak finally worked.

I SO (so, so, so) love that you have so many animals in your life. My two greyhounds are quite happy with their mom's newfound sobriety. The koi and African dwarf frogs haven't said much. I forgive the koi as they are overwintering in the frozen pond outside, but the frogs, I'm a little hurt they haven't spoken up...

Cheers, and best wishes for a lovely sober Sunday.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Lava good on you! It's great you're getting through it

Argillaceous I love greyhounds! And I used to have frogs, just little green tree ones, until one hopped away and the other was heartbroken, we got him another friend but it wasn't the same poor thing. Plenty of frogs out the back of this old house though, along with lizards.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonggau View Post
Five weeks today!
So far so good. Still struggling with social life - I have no idea how to socialize outside a drinking or working context (thank God for work!). I've tried hanging out with friends in bars (no temptation - actually the opposite) but I find it boring after an hour or so (and me not drinking makes some of my friends uncomfortable). Since alcohol became more and more the whole point of socializing, I don't know any people that doesn't drink anymore. Also, seeing some of my friends getting drunk makes me anxious (not everyone - just the heavy drinkers) - there's something sad,helpless and degrading about the whole process and I just don't like seeing people I care about like that. Hope I'll never go there again myself. Again, so grateful that my wife doesn't drink at all, this would be so much harder if she did.
Yeah. You're lucky your wife doesn't drink. My husband (he's away for another 2 weeks) drinks, though he's not an alcoholic. He likes to have always beer in the house, whiskey, gin, etc. I've not told him I'm on this journey yet. Probably should soon. But I just don't see him changing his lifestyle.... I don't know how I'll handle that.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hello- great posts guys. Strength in unity.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

One week sober!!

Quitting cigarettes now.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi All, hope you're all well, welcome back Casey :o)

Decided to stop counting days, I've set calendar reminders for every 25 days moving forward. I fell into a trap last time in that the more days I counted the more I felt I was "due a reward". By the time I got north of 200 I was seriously planning my next drink - and by heck I deserved it right!!...... That said though I was dry drunk and not working a program, mission now is to get a sponsor and work the steps. So, "Day 1" today, meeting up with some of the biker lot for a ride to Avebury (largest stone circle in Europe would you believe). Got new tyres on the bike and today will be cold but sunny so intending to have a good old blast. Then heading out this evening to a mate's house to watch the first round of MotoGP.

Actually managed a full night's sleep last night 22:30 to 07:30 at long last, although the clocks went back last night so it's only 06:48 here, Bonus Hour :o) Why do I feel like I've been hit by a bus through!! Cup of tea and a toasted hot cross bun will sort that out :o)

Have a great day all
Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good Morning! 2 weeks today! Faced a few triggers for the first time yesterday - took the kids out for a meal at lunchtime and had a brief moment of "I want wine". But I reminded myself of what the consequences of that one glass of wine would be.... drunk by mid-afternoon and day over as far as doing anything else productive. So, I had an orange juice. We walked home, I mowed the lawn then took the dog on a long walk, went to the supermarket and woke up this morning feeling proud - and soooo glad I didn't have that glass of wine.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Good one bims
Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NapsteR1 View Post
Hi All, hope you're all well, welcome back Casey :o)

Actually managed a full night's sleep last night 22:30 to 07:30 at long last, although the clocks went back last night so it's only 06:48 here, Bonus Hour :o) Why do I feel like I've been hit by a bus through!! Cup of tea and a toasted hot cross bun will sort that out :o)

Have a great day all
Clocks went forward!! Assuming you are in the UK :-)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Nipidus

Hello everyone newcomer here I was told to post here.... I'm already in the process of quitting tobacco (the mouth cancer kind) and am on my last tin working my way slowly to less and less each day as I have been recommended by my doctor and the counsilor lady from that quit smoking class I took at kaiser... However I have also put into motion the same thing with liquor hoping similar reduction day by day will help in a similar way as it has with tobacco in the past.... I've quit 4-5 times being 1 month or more with tobacco and have regressed due to stress among other things so I am putting my best friend to work this time as a sort of guard dog he knows me too well and knows when I've started doing something I shouldn't so he's happy to make sure I don't buy anymore tobacco or liquor. At least as well as he can and I'm going to tell him to check in on me with that too... I think I have a decent plan in motion for this...
Old 03-26-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nipperz
congrats on your milestones Immri tronics bimcott MCM and anyone I've missed

D