Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part Two

Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

CaseyW - glad you came back. Forward and onward now.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Mandosca you can do this. Just think of your worst moment with alcohol, how you felt, what the situation was. Do you really want to go back to that. Every time we start to drink again it gets worse. Just when we think we've hit rock bottom there's further to go. We're here for you. You can do this xxxx
Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Darling Casey I know you've got this. Next time before that drink hits your lips post in here and keep posting until the craving goes away. As a team we can overturn anything your AV throws as you. Love you sweetheart xxx
Old 03-25-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

Congratulations on your efforts and thank you for sharing your journeys. Wherever you are with early sobriety, each hour that goes by is another heroic feat, and it does get easier. And it is definitely worth the effort.

A special hello, to those here that may remember me from back in the day

With humility and respect, I'd like to sit in on the group with you and share your journeys and maybe offer some support gained from my own journey.

I'm still sober and eternaly grateful ( every day ) for this.

However, I started smoking again recently, after not having had a cigarette for 17 years. My 'reason' ( what fools we alcoholics are ), was that if I didn't do something naughty, then I may pick up a drink.

That may have been true, but the outcome is I am completely addicted to this habit now, and am long past the period when it was enjoyable. My behaviour is entirely the same as when I was drinking ( worrying about stock control, lying about the amount I smoke, switching brands and strengths, measuring the number I smoke each day, promising myself I will 'ease off slowly' or be able to moderate ) - It is all self delusional ********, and continuing to smoke does nothing for me, and will end up killing me. So I must stop.

So I may be sober, but I'm not in control. And I'm feeling the same way I did in the last few years of my drinking career.

So I'm in for March. I'd like to say I will stop now. But that will be a lie.

My plan is to hit the sack at a reasonable hour ( its nearly bedtime down here in Cape Town ) , then get up and have a run, before the urge to smoke the first one hits me in the morning, then check in here.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Heres my thought for today:

"There is no situation so bad, that picking up a drink can't make a hundred times worse"

Go Well,

Fradley
Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

13 days today.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
I have the house to myself, I'm cleaning and blasting The Rolling Stones. I've been meaning to re-caulk the bathtub for quite a while and got that done. Day 8 and feeling very motivated right now on.

We're all in this together, let's stay strong and unite in our mutual cause not to drink!
Parallel lives! I was cleaning and blasting Brussels Affair!!!*
Keep motivated. A key for me has been to keep busy. I've posted this before, but I've never accomplished as much as I did last year. Remodeled my living room, built a tongue and groove redwood wall in my music room, landscaped and installed an irrigation sprinkler system in my front yard...replanted the backyard..got married in back yard.
There's no limit as to what you can do when you're sober. There's enough time for all those projects when you don't waste half the weekend being hungover and the other half going out to look for more booze.
It was a treadmill of addiction. I hated it.

*legendary live Stones album for those who don't know!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Congrats on seven days, Rattle and Hum. That's fantastic. Love the screen name, too.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Mandosca, stay strong and don't drink. It's cliche, but remember that nobody ever wakes up in the morning and regrets not drinking yesterday.

Great job everybody keeping sober. If you slipped, keep posting and start again TODAY. There's tremendous support here!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Mandosca,
Your dad has probably already arrived but I hope you will think ahead to tomorrow. Don't drink today and you will be the one with a big smile on your face tomorrow morning when you wake up.
Drinking for me used to have a good buzz for about an hour or so and then it is all downhill from there. NOT WORTH IT!

Casey, Thinking of you. Tomorrow is a new day and it can be your last day one. Follow what you have so beautifully encouraged us all to do. Take that great spirit you have and put it to use for you.
You can be sober and happy. It can be done and you can do it.

Hello to everyone else working hard to make their lives more peaceful and happy.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fradley. I hope you can draw on your experiences from when you stopped smoking 17 years ago?
I stopped smoking nearly 14 years ago after several attempts in the months prior; hope you can power through those early days and get free again.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Mandosca, be strong ( the event may already have finished!!). It was the greatest feeling of achievement to regret a drink and go home not only sober but proud and empowered. The only person I will let down if I drink is me and I am the most critical of judges.
Keep going Casey. Don't let your two weeks be wasted. We can do this.
Hello Fradley. Ah, those dreaded ciggies. It worse giving them up than drinking, hence I still smoke ☹️ Congratulations on your sobriety.
Day 8 here. It's a gorgeous day and my friend and I are going to drive up the mountains to an onsen (hot spring) by a volcano. I hope the weather is clear on top - the view is amazing. My little dog has this habit lately of waking me up at 5:30. I've been waking up feeling like I've been hit by a bus every morning this week. Today is the first time I feel good.
Happy sober days everyone 🤗
Old 03-25-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I just hopped back online and haven't had a chance to catch up on the most recent three pages of the thread yet but will try to do so tonight. But I just wanted to give a shout out to the people who have just joined and are starting out. Congratulations for having the courage to join and post.

I've only been here for a few short weeks, but this forum has kept me from picking up more than once when I would have. And before I joined, I lurked quite a bit and even that had a strong effect on my behavior; so lurkers, keep lurking!

And for everyone in my class whom I already feel like I know a bit, will try to catch up with your posts soon, but please know that in the meantime I am thinking about you guys. March really is a special group.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

Just popping in from March 2016 Yesterday was my one year anniversary here at SR and what a whirlwind it has been!! I have struggled and I have fallen many times through the past 365 days but I am proud to be celebrating 90 days of sobriety today and not one of those days would have been possible without SR. I have formed some of the closest friendships of my life here. So I guess what I am saying is don't give up...ever. Use every resource possible to its' fullest extent...make friendships and build relationships. This bastard of a disease only wins when we wave the white flag....and that is never going to happen
Old 03-25-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Casey - just read your last post....sending love and hugs to you. You were a huge part of my early days here and in my sticking around. Thank you for being an integral member of the SR family that saved my life....we are here to help you too.

P.S. There is still mention pretty much weekly in March 2016 of giving the liquor aisle the ol' Casey salute.

Take care
Old 03-25-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Having a sober Saturday night here. I ate a lot of food, but that's better than drinking! Enjoy a sober Saturday everyone.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rattle and Hum and Fradley

Welcome back Casey - not trying to embarrass you or anything but why do you think you didn't try and stop yourself?

D

D
Old 03-25-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Mand- how are you?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Checking in... sober! I was really tested today. Everyone else was drinking, not too excess but more than one. My husband didn't have any to support me. Day 14 done and dusted.

Casey, I'm glad you came back. Honestly I could kind of tell something was off.

So proud of myself today. Stay sober everyone. Good night...
Old 03-25-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

It's been awhile since I've been able to really catch up, so apologies ahead of time for the extra-long post:

Oh NapsteR1, when you talked about the anxiety of the growing pile of work and then the drinking to relieve the anxiety and the loopety-loop that follows, you so eloquently put into words my exact pattern, whether it's "earning-money" work or "paying-bills-with-money-earned" kind of "work." Anything that was something I really didn't want to do would be helped by a drink (or four).

thatwastheoldme, I love that your Day 1 is Pi day. I'm jealous.

As for regretting all those years (oh, wait, no...all those decades), I drank, peacefulintent, I am right beside you. But I didn't drink today or yesterday or the day before and I can now look back with pride to those memories.

rmeatgt350: Could you ask my hypochondriac over for a play date? I'd really like to get a break from it, if only for a teeny-tiny bit of time..

Ah, the witching hour. Bebrave, like you (and from what I've been reading, others), there is a certain time of evening where AV is at its best. The seduction at that time is, well, astonishing. And it happens to coincide (and become stronger) when like Bebrave and Hopeforme, I start to prep the meal.

Speaking of triggers, another one for me is what SandyO mentioned, husband calling to say he's going to home late. Instead of being a bit sad, I would be kinda excited because it meant I'd have more time to drink without having to sort of sneak it like I would when he was home. Sigh.

Caramel, thanks for posting the idea thinking of three things to accomplish the next day the night before. I like that. I'm going to try it.

Bobbieka! I was happy to see you back. Thanks for the prayers for my sweet greyhound.

tonggau, in my new sobriety, I've also had someone be uncomfortable I didn't drink (I used to drink a lot with this guy); he was really focused on why I wasn't drinking. Interesting.

JCNY, 11 days is now more than that I think. Sending a virtual high-five...

Ah, piffle. I still haven't finished catching up and giving shout outs (I have several more pages to read up on), but hubby is coming in the door with dinner so I'll just post this for now and catch up with everyone else later when I have a bit more time. Ciao for now.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Uggg, I just had a nice long post typed out thanking everybody for all of their kind words and encouragement and I lost the whole thing. So again, Thank you all so very much. It meant the world to me!

I was really tested today, that's for sure. My mother came over and was having a very emotional, bad day. Come to find out my parents (whom have been married for over 30 years and had what I thought was the perfect marriage) have been fighting alot and are now talking about counseling amongst other things. My mom was so upset that I called my husband and had him get a bottle of wine. I had full intention of saying F it and having some with her but I kept thinking about what all of you wrote. I decided to wait while my mom had her first glass. Then I told myself to wait just until she finished her second. Minute by minute I got through it.. Between being worried about my mother, my parents relationship and the fact that every adult was drinking besides me.. I stayed 100% sober. You were all right.. I am going to wake up tomorrow so proud of myself. So again, Thank you all so much!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful sober weekend! :-)