Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 23

Old 04-04-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

That's great OT.

Thanks for all the notes Penny. Re the hwy- it is going to be a long haul. Among the reasons, one is that they (builder, city, etc) will have to test surrounding parts of road, not just rebuild that part; they have to understand where the failure was when the fire attacked it. Three people have been arrested (so far) in conjunction. There is a big homeless problem in Atlanta and the area where this part of the hwy is has a big population there- they believe one or all of the people are homeless. It's a bad situation on every level.

Day and a half of spring break! All I took out of his full week. Some decisions made by my older step-child-to-be that are concerning (to all of us, including his mom) - but he has to be a grown up and choose what to do with his life (and those choices, right now, including "putting off" college, moving in with his turning-18-this-month year old bf, getting a job in a chicken plant.....prayers all around)....I know this by now, yet am still a little amazed at Cliff's put-into-action plans - it's like a certain date hits (in this case, he wasted NO time getting things going once April hit), it's game on. The word "wife" is becoming quite real....

Feeling better - managed to get through a long aggravating work day yesterday so grateful for today.

Take care all-
A
Old 04-04-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I'm sure once he's experienced the situation he's putting himself into he'll realise the mistakes he's making August. I know I did! Sure wish I'd spared myself the anguish, but all part of growing up I guess.

Checking in before I finish off my psychology essay, gonna be a late one tonight. Exam is tomorrow and I need to know my stuff. Opticians appointment went on a lot longer than expected and late classes meant I'm way behind. On the plus side, my eyesight is getting better! Gonna try not to fall asleep now, catch ya'll tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

The homeless situation is bad here too in Seattle and Portland, and even the smaller towns.

Everything is going great. On vacation this week.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey OT- how did it go last night? Hope you managed to get some sleep.

Apparently it has been "officially" promised by the city that the hwy will be rebuilt and ready to go by mid-June. Can I call....BS....? It seems impossible.

Anyhoo- torrential rain and such here in Atlanta - we went out in it and of course I didn't have to get wet because I had valet delivery Too spoiled; or just enough.

OOTT- enjoy that well-deserved vacation, friend.

Quick story- in the meeting we went to yesterday (speaking of homeless people and situations), a man introduced himself to talk and said he was, and how he'd slept on a cardboard half-box and his back was killing him and he was 30 days sober....and he couldn't figure out why he hadn't gone to a shelter yet. He talked about that some more but the part that really blew me away (the crazy alcoholic mind and lack of reasoning made sense, even though I'd not been in his situation, I've been just as cuckoo when newly sober) - he said he went to a meeting the night before and his sponsor gave him $20 and said to meet him at a meeting on Wed (so today, two days later). Anyone else see the problems with this exchange? It made me very sad. And very grateful that Cliff and I had just come from my Panera where everyone is my buddy and where we sat and discussed all the things we do and don't want in our first place.

Take care all-
A
Old 04-06-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Been way too tired to check in, but my holidays have officially started now. Exam went fine. Had my induction at the science centre I'm going to be volunteering at, going to sign up for some shifts over Easter tomorrow. Catching up on some z's first though.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Get that rest OT! Sounds like things went well with exam and that's cool about your Easter science project

Resting at home tonight. Good but "a lot" kind of evening last night with just Cliff and his 18 year old. So different from his sister; I tried to listen way more than talk and get to know him, listen to his reasons for decisions, all that. Cliff said I did well - this step-parenting thing is.....whew. It's all good. Looking at new places and have some ideas of what we want- exciting!

Take care all - happy anniversary Dee!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks August

D
Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello All. Checking in. Spring Break next week. Going to see some schools in the south and eat some greasy food!

August. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. With hope your soon to be child wises up and drinks. I have been following that hwy fire. Terrible. They are saying it will take months to repair. Ugh!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Last day of vacation, then back to the grind. Talk at youse guys later, Fort Febbers.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
August. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. With hope your soon to be child wises up and drinks.
I echo this, August.

Today has been boring. I busted a ligament last week and now I actually have time to rest it. Means a lot of lying around though, which is really uninspiring. It's feeling a lot better now though, so should be out and about again in no time.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. I totally agree- just my first hand being invited to the party, you know?

Tired tonight. Had a good day at work- easy, fun and profitable!- then got oddly....cranky after work. Probably just a lot of things but managed to get evened out to go to a St Andrews/Emory scholar get together with my beloved. We are going to look at an apt that could be a possibility tomorrow. Lots of aspects to all of our decisions.

Time for an early bed.
Take care all-
A
Old 04-07-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I know it's frustrating August, but we wouldn't listen to anyone either. We had to burn ourselves out before we saw sense.

Checking in early as I'm not home tonight. Feeling really well rested even though I'm up early to try and get some work done. Non-productive days bring me down. Catch ya'll tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:17 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!
Just checking in! Had a birthday this week, and it was wonderful to celebrate it sober.

School has been going well, heading near the end now. All of the major testing is coming up, so it's time for the kids to put all of their hard work to the test.

Still have some options for going back to school. Not getting into my #1 choice threw me for a loop, but I still have options.

Hope everyone is great. Hair's been on fire lately but will check in more often.

Be good!
Lee
Old 04-08-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Checking in. Very busy these days. Very frustrating to see people struggle at that age. We pulled my step son from going to college. He took a year off and then went but didn't do very well. We just found out from his mother he never went this past year even though he said school was going fine. All is well here. Ohhh I got an Elliptical and am working out again! Super happy about that!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Got back fine. Off to the gym, then start work to get ready for Monday. I'll be working hard for three months until organized bike ride ( the Seattle to Portland I post about every summer) in July. then Cabo, then possibly a marathon in Vegas in November, or a half marathon in Anaheim in November. I can't do both.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you PHRD!

Was randomly really sick today, came out of nowhere. I always seem to get sick during the holidays. Extra maths lessons tomorrow because that's commitment baby! Catch you all on the flip side.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Sorry OT. Get better. Getting sick during finals is terrible.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
Checking in. Very busy these days. Very frustrating to see people struggle at that age. We pulled my step son from going to college. He took a year off and then went but didn't do very well. We just found out from his mother he never went this past year even though he said school was going fine. All is well here. Ohhh I got an Elliptical and am working out again! Super happy about that!
Hmmm, PHRD, lots of similarities there with my step-son-to-be. Note to self to run things by you....

My beloved Godmother's twin brother passed and the funeral is tomorrow. My Godparents are truly my second parents so this is a hard time for everyone- although he suffered a long time from a horrible disease so everyone is grateful he is at peace now. I am so so so glad that I have Cliff - he said immediately he would be there before I even had a chance to ask.

Things are coming together and we keep working on each of our perspective's and histories and axnxiety and excitement.....feeling very grateful.

Tired and ready for bed- take care all
A
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thanks OOTT, think it was just a one off. Stress or the hot weather, or a combination of the two. Feeling fine now.

Went in for my extra maths session and my teacher said she was really impressed with how I'm doing, gonna get that B no problem (fingers crossed). Really frustrated that 15 year old OT couldn't get it though. Also, had a phone interview for a grocery store - passed that stage and have a real interview on Thursday. Only a weekend job but with early 6am starts. Gotta work hard for the money though.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

OOTT- love hearing about all the physical challenges you are undertaking and planning!! Sobriety has so many gifts!

Today was the funeral and it was really a "celebration of life".....I cried a good bit of the time and it was for many reasons beyond just the specific situation- it was cathartic I think. The last time I was at a funeral - of a dear family friend whose son committed suicide- I had wine in a coffee tumbler. That was 2013. To say today was a different experience on all levels - for me and those who love me who were there, including very special extended family- is quite the understatement. Not making it about me, it was good to just be a single person participating in the celebration of one other person's good life.

Take care all -
A