Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 23

Old 10-09-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Thanks August, ..why is the big day so far out? Over a year away?
We are planning to do it ourselves - and wanted plenty of time to save. Since I haven't worked since July 4 (our plan for that has been to see if Ben's Friends will soon become a paid position, which should become defined at my mtg in 2 weeks, and we decide accordingly what I am going to do for work), and Cliff didn't make as much as he hoped off the sale of the house, buying my beautiful ring....more time is much less stressful for him, therefore us. We are planning two nice parties during the coming year- basically one for each side of the family and friends since we have decided on a very small wedding that will not include extended layers of fam - he has much more than I do....and we want Dec! We started planning by ruling out months that wouldn't work/we didn't want (may and Sep bc of his work in the school system, Aug and Mar bc that's when we each got married before, and so on)

We have picked bands so I get to order them from Blue Nile here this week- and shop for shoes and a simple white dress for THIS 12/1. I am going to ask my sponsor to be a witness for me (she can't tell anyone what we are doing!) and he is going to ask one of the gentleman in our home group.

Just all makes sense to us We really want a private, just us celebration that shuts out any "noise" because TeamUs is the foundation of all we do....then we can have the celebrations throughout next year.

Oh - and I get to go on his insurance sooner which saves an insane amount of money (it would be 4K based on current prem which I can only expect to go up when 1/1/18 comes and Humana leaves the individual GA mkt!!).
Old 10-19-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hi all! Hope everyone is busy and well, just quiet on here!

Quick recap of an unbelievable week in Charleston. I came for Ben's Friends work, TedX, and other amazing stuff....and just ONE big thing is that I am officially a Board Member (of four, including the two founders and the group leader in Raleigh) and we had a strategy session for what growth and future plans for BF are. AND.....my "boss", the founder of both BF and the restaurant group that is one of the most servant leader based, dedicated to excellence and fulfilling a higher purpose, organizations I have ever seen....had talked with me about a PAID position with BF and we (finally) had a talk about specifics - there is not much money to pay me "officially" out of the BF funds to date (being a 501(c)3 you have to be careful about paying employees) but he told me to give him a number I need to make and he will make it work.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude!

Take good care all-
A
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Congrats August! I knew you'd get a better gig. It never fails!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thanks OOTT!! It looks like I might do some server shifts at the newest restaurant here (which is an amazing Italian place) as we build the money to pay me directly for BF - as a non profit, there are tax implications to make sure to follow. So many exciting things happening- we are even going to be on a national podcast done by a recovery place (in PA!!).

How is everyone? So quiet! Hope it is because you are all busy and well.

Hard to believe that the holidays are upon us- had to make some surprise decisions about NOT participating in Tgvg....a bit ambushed by my parents dredging up awful past holidays when last year was so lovely, etc. But, again, new traditions with my new family.

Take care of yourselves-
A
Old 10-29-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Sorry for being quiet, just submitted my first essay of the course and it counts towards my grade so I wanted to get it right.

Hope everyone is okay.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hi all. Life is good. Just checking in. The holidays are coming. I like the holidays. I lik them being sober. With hope you are all well.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Badger!

All good on my front. Uni's going fine, looks like I may have a job by Thursday, which means a whole month of travelling next summer.
Also feeling happy about the Australia vote.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving errrrbody. Things are great. On vacation in sunny California.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

So glad I looked and saw some posts from you people!

Glad to hear your updates OT and Badger

OOTT- I'd be more jealous about CA except that it finally got cold-ish and is beautiful in Atlanta right now. Enjoy your trip!

Getting very excited about our wedding next Fri. It would take many sentences to describe it all but I'll just say that it is turning out to be so "Team Us" as we say that it's perfect. We are even talking through what we really want to do about a wedding with others and the parties before we thought we'd have.....having a life partner is the whole thing that matters.

Still experiencing a floundering old step child- he just can't get it together (yet...I pray). And so happily, enjoying an ever better relationship with my step daughter. Such a gift (and it's so "me" that I'd get a teenage step-daughter....and get just about the best one ever, as a twist in the usual story )

Lots of accolades for Ben's Friends and my boss, which is so awesome.

Hot Yoga has become my absolute passion and after two months am really seeing huge surges in my strength in classes, and we are doing our last 5K of the year Dec 4 - and I have decided to do the Hot Chocolate 15K this winter, instead of the 5K we this year!!

Hope to hear from everyone again soon- you guys have a piece of my heart!
Take care of ourselves-
A
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Hope you're having a good time OOTT.

I can't quite believe how quickly the wedding day has come around August!

I'm doing really well at uni, been getting some really good grades back. Seems I made the right decision to go back into academia.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Ha, OT! I know- and I don't think it will sink in until next Fri - probably when I am getting my makeup done and started crying happy tears or something

Happy Sat all -
A
Old 11-25-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hello peeps! Happy to see y'all here and doing well. Congrats in advance Aug on your wedding. That's my birthday I will be on vacay in NYC and will think of you! I've been remiss keeping in touch here and with my personal friends. Sometimes I do this when I feel too much stimulation at once (world events, work deadlines, kitty health issues, etc) I'm working on that, it's rude and worrisome to others. Still sober!

OOTT- such a crazy heatwave here! A lot of older/coastal homes don't have AC because it wasn't needed, and they sweltered Thanksgiving having to use the oven. I used to need A/C only 2 weeks every year, now it's several months. Very sad.

Badger- Yaay! Your favorite time of year is here! and you are forever sober!

OT- kicking butt and taking names as usual

Dee, how is your summer going? Got a flu shot (2nd one ever) because we are all being told Australia had worst flu season last winter and its headed our way. I'm skeptical. Is that true about the flu season?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PL

In this case it's true - people have died from the flu here - not in dozens , but more than no one is too many.

I have a jab every year - seems to keep me out of the worst of it.

D
Old 11-25-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

We got flu shots this year- I think I did last year too. I haven't had my usual round of bad colds so far- I got sick more than usual last fall but I seriously think that was because at 7-8 mo my body was still recovering!

Glad to hear from you PL!!! Enjoy NYC and happy birthday - I know several others who have Dec 1 as a bday- I think it's a great day all around If we do have the bigger ceremony with guests (a "wedding") next Dec 1 like planned, we will go to NY for a few days for our honeymoon - Christmas time in the city is so amazing!

Glad our thread has perked up a little!

Peaceful evenings to all-
A
Old 11-26-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in Penny! It's difficult to find the time to post, and I know the feeling of losing track of keeping in touch all too well. Just know we're always here if you're ever struggling - or if something amazing that you want to share!

Anyone have any tips on surviving night shifts? I have an interview for a position tomorrow and I'm hoping to get it. It's weekends so I'll be able to study during the week.
The pay's good. I can already fund travel to Eastern Europe next summer, but I will also need money for rent and food when I get back to the UK. Plus if I have more money I would be able to travel the majority of Europe rather than just the cheaper locations!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've done my share of night shifts,
Buy an eyemask and earplugs to get some shut eye in the day.

D
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Naps are key too! I've done the til 430 am thing, and found I would stay up for "breakfast hours" and sleep a round from maybe 8-12, get up and do whatever, then nap again for 2-4 hours. Mind you, I was drinking during this time so I doubt my plans were consistent- leading to big exhaustion on days off! My thoughts are to get on a regular schedule with everything else you do, including sleep!! And hydration!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Lee hipped me to the 22 minute NASA nap.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

First 10K DOWN! That 15K coming up Feb 4 is so doable! And it felt great.

Happy Sun all!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Interview is in 5 hours and I'm not nervous at all, all these uni debates and presentations are improving my confidence.

Very well done August!