Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 23

Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Morning all! Very sunburnt after the Pride festival yesterday. Was out until early hours of the morning and now I can't sleep. No booze involved, just good vibes.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

OT- eep, I sunburn so easily! And I haven't been to any of the pride stuff this year- since we've been up in the 'burbs most of the past few days, it's not really a "thing" up in Cobb Co....

Good visit to the big Antique Mkt with my parents- Cliff enjoys my taste and it was a way to get ideas AND give my mom some props since that's her area of expertise. And my Dad came- with cane- and did great. I am so grateful his recovery is going well. And, we told them about my job- it was a simple, direct and confident conversation which made me feel great, and truly like my program work has "stuck" a good bit!

Yoga this morning and....packing....til I come back here. We did pretty much all my laundry- I am bad with towels and it took two pods to get any wet or icky smell out....two bras were put in the dryer (no!!!!!)...hard to believe we move in TWO weeks!!

Tomorrow is our one year anniversary, aka Grilled Cheese Day. That's what we had on our first date, for lunch, and what we used to eat all the time at this one place, back when we dated in high school. So we have plans to go to a fancy-ish place known for the grilled cheese on the tapas menu....and other dishes to complete the meal, with an ice cream stop at the place we went on our second date after. Note: these were his ideas. I am the luckiest girl EVER.

Peaceful days to you all - and a QOTD since it's been a minute:
(maybe partly inspired by the threads of late with people talking about "thinking" their way sober and such...)

"You can act your way into right thinking, but you cannot think your way into right acting." - Bill W

Laters all
A
Old 07-09-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

August - Glad to hear your parents are doing well.

I leave for my solo backpacking adventure tomorrow morning, so I'll be off the grid for a couple of weeks. Nerves are starting to kick in but I'm also really excited. I'm already a pretty confident person, but I think this'll give me an extra boost of confidence before starting university!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

So....."I said YES!"

Today (10th) is our one year anniversary and Cliff proposed after our dinner and dessert (semi-recreation of our first and second dates)! The ring is beyond gorgeous and what he said was so simple and sweet (yes, he got down on one knee). We spent awhile calling parents and godparents and aunts and uncles and his grandmother....then sharing with the wider FB/insta world and texting long distance friends- amazing the depth and breadth of the support that rang out. And he told me something I long suspected- he had been planning this to be the day he proposed for quite awhile. Both past our year sober marks, the "four seasons" of things big and small in our lives, and he is such a traditionalist that it makes perfect sense to me. And we move in 2 weeks! And my stepdaughter is so genuinely happy for us (she was even involved in picking out the ring).

Promises, promises - so much gratitude and sheer happiness here right now.
Night (if I can sleep)
A
Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations August - I wish you Cliff and your family all the best

D
Old 07-10-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Congrats again, August. Second Fort Feb wedding, btw.

OT, where are you hiking?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I had a great Monday. You can't put a price on that. I was early to work, got a lot done, had a project ready to go for the staff that I'd worked on over the weekend. What an amazing year and a half it's been.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I had a great Monday. You can't put a price on that. I was early to work, got a lot done, had a project ready to go for the staff that I'd worked on over the weekend. What an amazing year and a half it's been.
LOVE hearing that kind of thing OOTT!!! It truly is amazing when we get those kind of days- and I have found them more often than I don't have them as my sobriety goes along and grows.

Happy Tu to all-
A
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

August. Congratulations I am so happy happy for you. On another note when I was graduating the job market was terrible. All the graduating seniors were worried. I remember a professor telling me that good people find jobs. I have found that to be true. You might even get a much better one.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

OOTT rode his bike for 200 miles in a race this weekend! Congratulations! That is a real feat.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Did Seattle to Portland ride on Sat and Sunday. We were shooting for doing it in one day, but didn't make it. We did 150 miles on Saturday, then picked up the remaining 53 miles yesterday and got to Portland at 12:08 p.m. It was fun, but harder to do at a more competitive pace. Two flats for me.... bad luck. One in Puyallup Wa, and one in St. Helens, Oregon on Sunday.
There were fewer crashes (that I saw), than last year. There were some really bloody crashes last year including one where I thought the rider was dead. Luckily, I found out later he survived, but it was incredibly bloody.
I have my food and equipment mostly dialed in now. But I think I want a new bike. My butt feels okay, but I needed to do more heavy weight training for my legs. I thought my legs were okay, but I had problems which would come and go. I also need more hill training. I could eat up some hills, but then inexplicably crash on flats.
More germane to SR, I did two "beer fusals". All my SR training paid off. I had a beer basically forced into my hands which I refused, and the second one at the end of the ride at a celebratory lunch, and I had iced tea. No one could believe the changes I've made in the past two years. In pretty good shape, and SHOCKER!!! /...turning down beer.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Thanks for the shoutout, Badge. You have no idea how much all the support I've gotten means to me.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

OOTT- "beer fusals" I love it!! Sounds incredible, all you did. Color me impressed!!! (and you know, impressed by the athletic stuff, too )

And so the wheels keep turning- but I am not churning. Ha. Seriously though- now we are dealing with my stepson to be and it is pretty serious - and his mom is astounding me with some decisions. Prayer, mouth (mostly) shut, listen....those are my "back parent" watch words right now.

The no-job thing has indeed turned out to be a blessing in at least a couple of ways- I would be stressed beyond if I had to move, pack, store, etc, with the hours I was working...and I have had more time to spend with Cliff and Keegan day/night as a sort of transition to "full time"! And I have been at peace and sticking close to my program. Beyond that, I have been able to foster and further some relationships through my work with Ben's Friends and related (unintentional, at first) networking....it is amazing how busy NOT working is keeping me.

Thanks for the support all - now , and all along. I am so grateful for you all!!

And- Lee? Mel? Penny? who else hasn't piped up in a bit??

Take care all-
A
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

August, Im glad that your no job status is working out. I think it's great that you got to take a break during this busy time and that after the wedding and stepson issues are resolved you'll be able to start work again.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Congrats OOTT and August! Awesome goings-on for both.

I'm still chugging along. July is tough. Major car accident 4 years ago and bad relapses last 2 Julys, not this one though. My friend was in a 5 car collision same area of the freeway this week. She is okay. People get sooo aggro here in the summers. Heat, tourists, Fair ..then the track and add Comic con now its a nightmare. Millenialls are trying to kill us!

Xoxoxo all
Old 07-23-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

"Millenials are trying to kill us!" hahahahahahahaha Love that.

Penny, seriously, though- July definitely has a tough "tenor" to it for you- except this one because you are sober! And, it's almost over....3/4 there....glad your friend is ok - Atlanta driving is pretty much as horrible as people say and I am REALLY glad you have a whole year from getting your learner's permit til you can be solo - longer would probably be even better. Hang in there and pop in here when you need to! Hugs.

We. Move. Tomorrow. Seriously, y'all, I can't believe this is my life....maybe it will sink in sometime? I am basically down to cleaning out the dry goods in pantry, packing shoes and the last of hanging clothes. Very proud of how I have done this "sober move." Things tended to be haphazard at best and a near-disaster at worst when I moved all those times during my drinking years!!

We have "our" first major piece of furniture- a gorgeous armoire that is a "Family" piece via my godparents. We have a spacious living area with 15' ceilings so something substantial will look great. And our second, a large wall canvas that looks like a book cover (leathery) and says "Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin. I'd say I'm astonished at how well we have done this whole thing- except I am not because we are TeamUs!

I found HILARIOUS pics from high school - and love letters and notes- of us in going through boxes of stuff from over the years. Also had a dear family friend's funeral this week (a three year struggle with brain cancer). Emotions around stepson. Probably something else I am forgetting - oh, yeah, what a HUGE change this is about to be in my life. I have gone to sleep before 8 the past four days after really full days!

Despite that busy-ness (move), I have been able to spend time on Ben's Friends stuff- even had a friend connect me with a friend of hers whose bf desperately needs help but doesn't want to "try AA again." They are supposed to come to the meeting today. Another person new to the program has sought me out for support and friendship - It is very humbling when you realize you have the one-on-one opportunity to share with someone and listen to where they are in their journey.

Prayers and love to all-
Happy Sun-
A
Old 07-25-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

just to let you guys n\know - taking a few days off vacation wise - take care of one another

D
Old 07-25-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Have a great time, Dee.
Penny, great to hear from you. It's funny about Comicon.... it causes nightmare traffic in Seattle.
August, I hope the move went smoothly.
I'm leaving for vaycay to Mexico in two days. Same place as last year, but staying at small condo this time. No more resorts or all inclusives.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Take care Dee- will be glad to see you when you're back!

So the move went 85% ok - a long frustrating break when the movers went to do another job (WTF), a couple of things broken (unusual for these guys) and then the best part, breaking a beautiful glass bowl top to a lamp....and spending three hours in the ER to end up with 4 stitches on my hand right under the knuckle and 5 on my leg. Awesome sauce!

I am a big nester and definitely want things in place as quickly as possible....so it looks pretty together already! It was good to have several hours to myself "to do stuff" while Keeg had volleyball and Cliff went to his house to do some things. Getting the dog home today (Luke has been with my parents)- and we got him a crate that looks like an end table....Mom says he seems to like it!

I've got more unpacking and another trip to Target (I am sure it won't be the last) plus a fun thing, getting my hair done!

Take care all -
A
Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Mrs. Tiles and I are in Cabo and things are going great. Lots of alcohol here but I get a perverse pleasure out of ordering iced tea only. It pisses off the waiters because they don't make any money off iced tea, but so be it.
We're not in a resort this time, so things are little rougher...we have to fend for our own food, get tons of bottled water, and we're going to rent a car. I drove today. Driving in Mexico is a real experience.