Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of MARCH 2017

come and join us!

The latest FEBRUARY thread is now here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

A little early but I won't be around the rest of the day - welcome everyone

A new month, a new start

D
Old 02-28-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I joined SR back in late 2015 but only posted a couple of times. I was truly dealing with a lot of emotional and professional turmoil back then and didn't commit to being sober.

Fast forward things didn't get much better just different and I still continued to drink myself even more into a downward spiral. My drinking continued to increase (I know shocker!!) to the point I'm drinking vodka everyday, all day starting in the morning just to "maintain" and keep the withdrawals at bay. Not to get drunk or buzzed.

I'm just soooo tired of living like this, being depressed, sad, feeling hopeless, looking and feeling like crap, not taking life by the horns, etc and I realize ALOT of that is primarily the use of alcohol. Prior to starting to drink a few years back, I was a totally different person.

So I decided to finally decide to break free from it and commit myself to not drink anymore and embrace sobriety and find ways to maintain it.

I remembered SR and how wonderful the people are here and the information and support is invaluable.

After poking around on SR I saw the newcomer's monthly threads to commit to not drinking. I thought by joining it would be one way to be accountable to myself and everyone.

Sorry this is kinda long.

I'm already on Day 2 so far. It's been a little hard to feel the withdrawals (insomnia, shaking, etc) but I'm working through it knowing in a few days I'll feel sooo much better.

I'm looking forward to committing and getting sober with all of you. I know together we can do it!!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober for11 days, so I'm a bit late (early?) but I'll join this thread. Craving-wise things have been good so far, very minor - but I've been hiding away from the world in work so I haven't been exposed to any triggers. Anxiety is up but well, that's kind of expected.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix
I'm day 2 too and struggling to get sober. Joined this forum August 2016. I desperately want to get sober. I'm losing my family and feel like crap when I'm drinking. I've spoilt so many occasions and I want to make it up to them as well as myself
I started drinking heavily probably 2-3 years ago but before then always liked a drink on the weekend. It's just a downward spiral like you say. I think I've joined every class since August but I keep coming back I'm determined. Good luck to you. We can do this
Old 02-28-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi tonggau
Congratulations on 11 days ☺
Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meow

Welcome Marchers! Popping in from the February class to wish all of you the best of luck. You can do this!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tonggau - Congrats on 11 days! What a great achievement. I haven't been 11 days sober since I went to inpatient treatment in May of 2015. I felt like a different person when I got out...felt so much better but was dumb enough not to maintain it. They didn't really suggest developing a plan for when you got out and had cravings, triggers, etc. I guess I just wasn't ready. I was kinda forced into by my job at the time. Keep it up and just work through the anxiety. It'll pass in time and usually only temporary.

Pinky 1 - I'm glad you joined this month. Post hear if you feel like drinking. I sure am! I can't even begin to tell you how much I've destroyed, lost, humiliated myself in the last few years while the whole time not realizing what I was doing to myself and others, nor did I realize at the time just TRULY how much you can lose. Complete denial and stubbornness. Over the last two years I've just beaten myself up over everything. Just got completely stuck. I thought I could control it. Yeah right!!! It is so progressive and selfish. I would just scratch my head and think I did that, or I said that? That's not me!!! UGH!

PurpleCat - Thank you for the warm welcome! And hope you're doing well.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Does anyone know how to save threads to a bookmark or something for easy retrieval so you don't have to go searching for it? I'm still in the very early stages of learning how to post stuff, save stuff, etc.

Any tips would be great! Thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Asa

Tonight is day 9 for me, although I don't drink during the week so only Fri-Sun really count. I'm safe until the weekend for now. Have to say, other than a few patches of anxiety, once I got through last week, I've been feeling pretty good.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm ready to jump in. I've been lurking on this site for several years trying to convince myself I can moderate / don't have a problem. I'm 57 years old, I have a wonderful husband, family and career. Drinking has been my way to cope with stress and anxiety, which has been worse since my father died last year.

I just want to get healthy and stop the cycle of I won't drink, drink, feel crappy etc. I'm a bottle of wine gal most nights of the week and I'm sick of it-- literally.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by phoenix75 View Post
Does anyone know how to save threads to a bookmark or something for easy retrieval so you don't have to go searching for it? I'm still in the very early stages of learning how to post stuff, save stuff, etc.

Any tips would be great! Thanks
You can subscribe to threads.

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - FAQ: User Profile Features (You may have to scroll down to find the part about subscriptions)

If you don't want email notifications, subscriptions are available under quick links on the forum toolbar.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers! Dropping by from the Feb 2016 class to say, you can do this and you're going to love it! Or else!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome!!! I'm popping in from the January of 2016 class to send lots of encouragement your way.

Getting sober is the best thing I have ever done. This is an incredibly supportive site. Read and post lots.

Here is another good thread to check in on each day. You can make the commitment to stay sober for the next 24 hours. daily.http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-215-a.html

Glad you are all here!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Asa - great to hear about your 9 sober days. That's awesome! I know for some they can keep their drinking to the weekends, for others not so much. I was never a big drinker throughout my 20's and little into my 30's but then I would have a few on a Friday, took awhile but then it became Friday and Saturday then it became during the week then it became during the day and eventually started during in my car at work and drinking in mornings just to "manage" the horrible withdrawal feelings. So I can tell you for sure it can definitely escalate to something else you'd never imagine. Something I never imagined. I drank to "numb" myself...became habit. I'm glad you're here to go along the journey with all of us!

Bebrave - Glad you're here too. I'm glad to hear you have a wonderful husband, family and career but that can all disappear real quick if you (all of us) continue to drink. You're here cause you realize you have a problem with drinking. I'd hate to see you lose any of what you have that is so precious to you. I lost so much (basically my entire life) that I had worked so hard for. Some decisions I made were not because of drinking in the beginning but as my drinking over the last few years escalated I lost pretty much everything husband, then boyfriend, job, amongst sooo much else including self-value, self-esteem, self-confidence, people's trust, etc. Ugh! Sometimes it's just hard to fathem. You can do this! It's so not worth any poison we put in ourselves just cause we're stressed and want to immediately feel numb. We can do other things that are more productive and feel proud by doing so!

Since I'm only on Day 2 and going through withdrawals it's to formulate a "exit" plan right now but I will be working on it cause I really want to make this happen this time and stay with it. I liked myself sooo much more sober.

Purplecat - Thanks for the info. I'll research that. Still learning.

Oneonthetiles & Delilah1 - Thank you for the encouragement to all of us and advice!!!!! It always is encouraging to know others have gone through this and can "get to the other side" and what you did and continue to do to remain sober.

Looking forward to continue on this journey with everyone! Let's make it happen together (cause my liver hurts!!) (joke).
Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Phoenix 75, Tonggau, pinky1, Asa and Bebrave1

Thanks too to those other members lending their experience and hope - awesome stuff!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

best advice ever- listen to Dee's few words.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

how do i join

Hi all how do i join this thread for me today is day 1.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

you just joined tizzkins. All you need to do is post
Welcome abaord

D