Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 03-03-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I didn't know espom salts dehydrate you. Maybe not such a good idea then? I just love a hot bath, and putting stuff in it makes it even nicer. It makes me feel so relaxed and refreshed.
I'm amazed that I don't have any liver damage, and in fact I'm not convinced I don't. I had blood work done but I don't have any confidence in my doctor. I'm looking for one who I can trust and who seems to care. I'm also disappointed that I haven't lost any weight. Three weeks and not a pound, even though for the most part I'm eating healthy. But, I do have desserts as treats a lot.
Geoff, I hope you can start over and get some sober time. The making a plan was essential for me. I would have drank again without it.
Happy Friday everyone! I'm so glad it's finally here!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me this morning. Week days are always a bit easier than the weekends so I'm planning out my weekend now. And preparing myself for cravings to hit this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow will be really hard because my son is gone most of the day and overnight. I know my AV will be humming. But I am committed to not drinking. Last Friday I started drinking in the afternoon and didn't stop until I was blitzed. My whole Saturday was wasted to a hangover This memory is still strong in my head and the guilt, shame, and disgust still plain as day. So I will use this. When cravings hit I will see it all the way through to the hangover. I will be sure to not allow myself to get hungry and drink lots of water.
This disease really stinks. Good to see so many of you staying strong. It helps so much to have others that understand. My husband does not. I give him credit for trying to but unless you have it, it is nearly impossible to understand.
Stay strong friends. Here is to a nice, sober weekend
Old 03-03-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Axeman, I am sorry to hear about your blood test. I received my bloodwork results today and my liver function was normal. Of course, as I posted previously, I stopped drinking 2 1/2 weeks before the test. If I would have had the test immediately after a week of hard drinking, I am sure my enzymes would have been elevated too! Try not to worry, your liver should recover as long as you no longer drink. It is good that you caught it now, instead after several more years of hard drinking and more damage.

Day 22 for me. In past years my thought process has been something like:

1) OK, my liver is fine
2) I must not be an alcoholic as I was able to give it up for three weeks without too much problem.
3) I think I will start drinking again, but try to control it.

This year after reading about every one else's experiences (which many times are very similar to mine) my thought process is:

1) I am an alcoholic
2) I am going to stay sober.

Thanks everyone for the continued support, stay strong!.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I had only abstained for 2 days before the test. Maybe that contributed? I am on day 6 now and will be on a much longer ride before my hepatitis test and ultrasound. Maybe that will show me that I can heal, and just need to stay stopped.

I have to lose weight anyway....
Old 03-03-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi axeman5971,

The liver is capable of miraculous self-healing, as long as you don't assault it with any more poisonous alcohol. Give it a few weeks.
Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Day 27
Last night I had such strong cravings that I almost gave in, but I didn't.
I even found an open bottle of wine in the house that I had forgotten about. I poured it down the drain. The ONLY reason I didn't give in
is because I know that "just one glass" of wine will lead to years of addiction again.

This morning, I woke up and read Soberwolf's thread "9 Ways We Treat Alcohol Differently From Other Drugs", which REALLY helped me. I realize that I grew up in family ( European ) culture in which wine was considered a part of the meal. The AV uses this to try to persuade me to have "just one glass. " You know---because it is "normal", and being sober is "not normal", according to that culture. It really hit me as well, after reading Soberwolf's thread, how promoting/advertising alcohol as "cool" and "sexy" is all a big marketing ploy to make money.
Wow, people are making money on us becoming addicted and poisoning ourselves, and they want us to continue!
It is time for a major cultural overhaul. We are the pioneers.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Meow

This weekend is going to be a challenge. My son will be home from college. Board games and beer is a common activity....no beer for me!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 11

Hey there everyone. Is anyone sense impending doom because it's Friday? I usually do, but I'm feeling confident I can make it this weekend, and we all can.
Have to visit my brother tomorrow, and get my house clean because my daughter is going to visit on sunday. That should consume all available time for the weekend. Although that all means nothing if I take a drink.

Let's stay strong, and focused.

Oh yeah, since I'm going to be off work, I have to go to a meeting on those days. I hope it's not to much and I end up stressing out trying to do everything I want to do. I will need to gain some acceptance that not everything may get done this weekend. But meetings are priority #1.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Saturday morning.....love 'em sober. The whole day stretches out in front of you. Stuff to do...

Sorry to read about those results axeman, I get liver test done once a year and all have been good.....but I'm slightly surprised everytime. I've been upfront with Dr about drinking. But the good news seems to be that staying off will heal, that you can recover and renew. You can do it.

Good that the bottle went down the sink Daucus......way better down sink than down you. Way to go.

Disonant.....you'll be fine over the weekend. Keep busy, focussed, relaxed about it.

Catlover? U around?

Weekends hardest time of week. Friday, Saturday afternoons hardest moments for me......its just that sit back, chill, beer 0 clock moment that the AV slithers out at me.

Ok....all the best all

later.....
Old 03-03-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

not too sure about what exactly i need to do to stop for good, never really had a plan. Guess thats what kinda brought me to this site.

I think the longest ive gone before was around a month and then i remember thinking and feeling boredom and loneliness.
10 years later i know i feel the same way regarding boredom and loneliness with alcohol still in my life.
I remember reading somewhere recently
"living to only work and drink is a sad existence".
That seemed to hit home for me.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi Disonant. I'm right with you on Day 11. I usually have a hard time on weekends as well but I am feeling confident. I'm going to hit the gym now and going to have a nice relaxing sober Friday night. I have to admit it is nice to be hangover free... Nothing is perfect and there are challenges everyday no matter what, but I feel better equipped to manage them with a clear head.

My liver enzymes were elevated several years ago as well. My doctor asked if I drank and I totally minimized the amount I drank (only a few on the weekends...yeah right). I'm going to get my blood work drawn but going to wait until I reach 30 days to let my body heal a bit. More reasons never to drink again.

I am being careful to look for that sneaky AV that likes to show up unexpectedly. I won't give in. Hello to everyone. I hope everyone has a good night (morning for some).
Old 03-03-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi axeman

Your liver will heal, but it'll take a little time.

If you're like me, you drank for years...I'm sure the results would have been substantially the same if you'd abstained for say 2 weeks....2 months I think you'll see a difference

D
Old 03-03-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'm so glad it's Friday. I don't have as hard a time on the weekends, because I can take care of myself some, do fun things, eat right, drink lots of water, all that.
My friend will be here in a minute and we're going to talk for a bit and then go to an AA meeting.
Have a great sober night everyone!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi axeman

Your liver will heal, but it'll take a little time.

If you're like me, you drank for years...I'm sure the results would have been substantially the same if you'd abstained for say 2 weeks....2 months I think you'll see a difference

D
It's been a thing since 18, a nuisance at about 24, a concern at 27, to a problem at 30. I am 31.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
It's been a thing since 18, a nuisance at about 24, a concern at 27, to a problem at 30. I am 31.
At least you are dealing with it now!

@goeffhaus, any ideas how you can deal with the loneliness and boredom?
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey PurpleCat

ah not really at this point, over the years being a p!sshead has definitely backed me into a corner.
Initially maybe aa meetings to associate with people who at least understand me on some level.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi, My quit date was the 15th this would be my class! I am a binge drinker but I go through longer periods of not drinking after I screw up and slowly begin to drink again. I have quit more then a few times. Trying to stay off the sauce and remain successful in my life!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by geoffaus View Post
Hey PurpleCat

ah not really at this point, over the years being a p!sshead has definitely backed me into a corner.
Initially maybe aa meetings to associate with people who at least understand me on some level.
Yeah, I find being with people who go through what you do helps, whether or be through hobbies or something like group meetings.

I'm happy to report staying strong tonight, although I had the worst drinking thoughts tonight than I've had since I quit. Doesn't help that DH is a) drunk and b) freaking out about his next cancer scan next week. So he's mad at DS who is hanging with friends instead of us. He finished the rum and is moving on to beer. Oh joy.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by djmchammered View Post
Hi, My quit date was the 15th this would be my class! I am a binge drinker but I go through longer periods of not drinking after I screw up and slowly begin to drink again. I have quit more then a few times. Trying to stay off the sauce and remain successful in my life!
Welcome to our little corner of the internet. Glad to have you. I too am a bingy. Week or two no drinks, then i drink it all....or at least i try.

13 days and counting here. You keep reading and you keep posting...
Old 03-03-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome djmchammered

D