Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 03-02-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
Anyone have any problems with itching? I have a little night sweat action and definitely toss and turn, but night 3 & 4 saw me itching.

Could be the OTC sleep aid I am taking. Just thought I would ask.
Itching?
Yes, bad at times, always legs. Apparently its common...probably all those nerves readjusting and withdrawing. Its lessened now, but at nearly 4 weeks its still there....
Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
HFA

Day....Um 12. Had my first drinking dream last nite. I had them a lot last time I sobered up. In the dream I'm talking and drinking. I looked and it's a beer. Like I hadn't noticed the whole time I was drinking it. I was mortified. I think it shows how easy it is to let your guard down. That's what happened last time. I decided to have just one drink. It lasted 3yrs.
Stay strong and stay aware.
On my way to a SMART meeting...
Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I hope those who were struggling in the last 24 are feeling better. It would be great to still here from you all.
Badger I absolutely love the new pic and location
Work has been stressful lately but today was brutal. Oh well at least I have a clear head to deal with this crap. I will be hitting the gym tonight instead of the bar. I can't believe how much this site helps. Just being able to type this post makes me feel so much more confident and determined that I will never drink again. Thanks classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Well there it is. Blood work is back and I have elevated liver enzymes. Is it because of the unhealthy eating, the drinking, or both? I don't know yet. Ultrasound is in the cards. I am very scared. It was all a really bad habit I was going to kick or manage until this point. It just got a lot more serious and scary...
Old 03-02-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Well there it is. Blood work is back and I have elevated liver enzymes. Is it because of the unhealthy eating, the drinking, or both? I don't know yet. Ultrasound is in the cards. I am very scared. It was all a really bad habit I was going to kick or manage until this point. It just got a lot more serious and scary...
Health concerns are always frightening. Don't forget that your best route forward is still sobriety. I'm pulling for you on both accounts.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi axeman - try not to panic...don't underestimate the value of not drinking and eating right for a while - I've seen some great results from that here with other members.

D
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey Axeman, I hope your ultrasound goes well. Maybe you caught this really early and it can be completely reversed! Our bodies are very resilient. I sure hope so.
I get itchy, too. Not so much now as in the first week. Try pinning your hair up and taking a nice warm bath with epsom salts and baby oil. Then dry off real well. It makes you feel wonderful, and it helped me some with the itching. I guess it's just our nerves coming back to life.
I worked 11 hours today and didn't get everything done! Won't be doing much of that sort of thing, though. I need lots of rest and relaxation. And time to come here without being in a hurry, and time with recovering friends.
Great to be sober on the cusp of the WEEKEND!!! Hooray for us!!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'll try to relax. I know I could lose 20 lbs. and that would be a good thing in general. I am just worried because I'm 31. Have I progressed to a bad spot super quickly?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Coasting through day 14 which isn't necessarily a good thing. Now I'm feeling pressure to fall off the wagon now to avoid the huge disappointment of falling off further down the road. The most I've managed is around 45 days in the past. I know it's my good ole AV talking. I'm planning on practicing a little piano tonight, having a slice of chocolate cake with milk, then watching an episode of 24 -no drinking!
Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'll try to relax. I know I could lose 20 lbs. and that would be a good thing in general. I am just worried because I'm 31. Have I progressed to a bad spot super quickly?
No. I would say you've progressed to a turn around spot because you are here and you have a tremendous opportunity to turn things to a better direction.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Coasting through day 14 which isn't necessarily a good thing. Now I'm feeling pressure to fall off the wagon now to avoid the huge disappointment of falling off further down the road. The most I've managed is around 45 days in the past. I know it's my good ole AV talking. I'm planning on practicing a little piano tonight, having a slice of chocolate cake with milk, then watching an episode of 24 -no drinking!
Yeah the idea that relapse is inevitable is pure AV.

why not make a recovery plan this time Frank, instead of just winging it?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-02-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi everyone Axeman. I agree. Our bodies and livers are very resilient. The liver has an amazing ability to heal itself. The key is you have to stop drinking completely...or it could become irreversible. Don't let the AV steer you in the wrong direction.

I had a pretty good day. The AV was not so bad today. I hit the gym this evening after work and had a good early dinner. It is nice to make it through the whole day without a hangover. I have more confidence and self respect. I still have some brain fog. I'm hopping this will clear up soon. I'm looking forward to a sober weekend and completing week two. Everyone is sounding pretty strong! We can do this class! I'll be checking in this weekend.

Day 11
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 6 tomorrow. With this news, it should be an easier weekend, I guess. Too scared to drink now.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Day 10

Hey everyone. Feeling pretty confident about staying away from alcohol, feeling pleasant.
I have a friend at work who was a heavy alcoholic, drank a bottle of hard liquor every day for years. Developed serious health issues, heart and liver related, and was even to the point where he had to stay in a hospital for quite a while. The doctors even told the family that he wasn't going to make it. Being in the hospital, he recovered and was able to abstain from drinking, he's now in pretty good shape, with a clean bill of health. Our bodies are very resilient, like previous poster said, we have to stop drinking though, so we can recover.

For all you guys working 11+ hour days, my heart goes out to you, it's hard. Very easy to get behind on chores and being with friends, family and pets. It's pretty common for me to work 75 hour weeks, and it really really tough. I used it as an excuse to drink for years. Stay strong.

Reading through thsee posts, it really strikes me how we are all the same, I have had, and am having all these same thoughts and feelings. I'm doing well now, but the weekends almost here, and I need to stick to my plan of going to meetings. God help us all.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The shared experiences really do make me feel like I am not alone. I am not just a bad or damaged person. Neither are all of you.

Thanks for everyone's help tonight and so far. I'll dedicate my sober weekend to you (and my wife, dogs, family, friends, and co-workers thank you, even if they don't know it)

Day 6 is tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I'm on my phone so can't say too much. Just wanted you guys to know I'm still hanging in and I'm soooo inspired by what everyone is achieving.

No ichy for me...thank gawd at least for that.

Axeman- sorry to hear about your test results. I'd like to echo what the others have said, your body can recovery. Please take good care of yourself. I have to admit I'm way too scared to even have blood work done. Good for you for stepping up and taking care of business. I guess you can't fix things unless you know what needs fixing, and now you know.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Meow

I'm one step ahead of you (elevated enzymes and I've had the ultrasound). My diagnoses is "hepatic steatosis" aka fatty liver disease. In addition to (formerly) drinking 6-8 drinks a night, I was also 60 pounds overweight.

It is scary stuff - I felt (and still feel) that I have been given two choices. Continue on the way I was and risk further liver damage up to and including cirrhosis and early death, or make the necessary changes and live a long and healthy life. Since I'm hanging around here you can assume my choice was for a long and healthy life.

Fortunately, fatty liver is reversible. If you can, find a good nutritionist to discuss what you can do to help your liver heal. In my case it's plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoidance of fatty foods (and no alcohol, of course). It's been 32 days and I'm down 8 pounds, and my digestive system is still healing but is behaving much better.

Good luck with your next test. Better to know now and deal with the problem then to find out too late, yes?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi yep day 20 for me

Frank - I followed the plan posted by Dee it really helped me
PC my digestive system is getting better too - it's such a relief
s 369!I've got some Epsom salt for a bath but a bit scared - someone said it really dehydrated them - and drained them but sounds like it was good for you
I haven't lost weight yet but hopefully will soon
Take care everyone
Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey all
Well been on and off the sauce since my first posting around here. So many people seem to be doing great, which is uplifting to hear.
I've not had long term experience with sobriety, but for me stress and hunger make wanting the first one worse.
Im 37 and last time my liver was checked the doc was a bit concerned but put it down to the holiday season.
That was a few years ago and to be honest
Im kinda scared to get another one done now after so many more years of getting "ok" with me and the world every night.

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place. Being not completely sober wasnt sure.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

What do you reckon you need to do to get off the sauce for good Geoff?

D