Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Day 21

3 weeks sober. It's a good start. Looking back to stop drinking is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I've failed many many times over the years, decades. I haven't drank, yet (yet!), and I have no plans too. I'm still not out of it, and I never will be. It's not a task that gets completed and then you move on to the next thing. For me it has to be a lifestyle change, fundimentally change how my brain perceives the world around me and reacts to it.

Feeling good overall, looking forward to having the day off tomorrow even though I'll be sitting, waiting for them to repair my vehicle. It's only minor tuneup type stuff. But then I'll have the rest of the day to, god willing, relax.

Hopefully a change will be exactly what you need vipe. We are with you.

Keep at it axe, you know what you need to do.

Happy Tuesday and God bless you all.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Meow

Congrats and well done, Disonant! You said some good things there, too.

Vipe, not sure what to tell you except that we've got your back. Yours too, axe, although if you ever want to hear the wife's side of being married to someone with a drinking problem just ask. I'm that too.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Congrats on three weeks,Dis!

My next challenge is starting tomorrow. My wife is flying out to visit her son and grandson. I used to drink more than normal when she was gone, and my AV has not forgotten to remind me of this fact! I liked what Dee posted in an earlier thread: There is never a good reason to listen to your AV! Sooner or later, I hope that sucker shuts up!

Stay strong everyone!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

....morning.

American weather made national news here in Australia last night. Didn't look good. Tho I'm tiring of the late summer run of hot days we've being having. Makes ya thirsty.....

Viper....sorry to hear you fell off. Get the new shockers and take a long drive somewhere maybe.

Retired Guy.....I used to work in a liquor store as a student. (makes 'sense', right?). An older guy used to come in regularly, occasionally his wife would go away to stay with her sister. Then it'd be on bigtime. Until she went one time and he gave himself a heart attack with it. That was the end of the holiday drinking....

Onya for 3 weeks Disonant... 'onya' is Australian for 'good on you', sort of like 'congratulations'...

Sleep is great axeman.....took a long time to get it back for me this time.

Ok....today I have to do tech stuff....swapping ph providers, internet etc. Off we go.....

Later
Old 03-14-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Viper - whatever it takes to get you out of the darkness is worth it. Just don't dwell on the negative. Lean on us here!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I have a bad track record for weekends the wife leaves. Plan activities where you can't hide in a bar or a bottle! Accountability always helps me.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Sorry for the multiple posts. I use the site on mobile and I have to go back and read each one I want to respond to.

PurpleCat - I may take you up on that at some point. I know my wife just got used to fending for herself. She didn't have a partner to talk to as I slipped into stupidity nightly. She had to entertain herself weekend mornings while I slept in and slept it off. She had to lie to family and friends why I didn't always attend events. I put her in a bad spot and I owe her a lot for still loving the man that I could/can/will become.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Thanks guys keep it coming!!

Anxiety is off the charts
Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Canguy,

Thanks for your story, guess I better stay out of the liquor store!
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

The US weather is brutal. It's like The Revenant out there. If I went for a 1 mile hike I'd look and feel like a shorter, balder, Leonardo DiCaprio!! Probably have to kill and eat a raw rabbit for strength to get home.

It decided to resume after my post that it was deleted done. Tomorrow I'll be free.

Canguy, I'm thinking of a plane instead of my car.

New rear shocks are $200 installed from this cheap mechanic I'm using. He actually had 'spare' ignition coils from new Honda engines and charged me $15 each for them. The National Chain price for the part was $130. So I have replaced All of the coils. There's a snap underneath he says is Tie Rods, but they are still very usable. Engine runs like new.

Maybe a blast of sun and sea for some weeks+, and then pursue some training. I've wanted to volunteer or work in Africa or a similar place. I love Kenya, I camped out for a month. Unless you want to pay for a glorified volunteer vacation you need skills. I figure Solar Installer Engineer and maybe some small scale wind ability, is a good one and does not take long. A 1 month program maybe.

Just an idea I've been tossing around for a while.

Post later

Vipe
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Canguy, I'm thinking of a plane instead of my car.
....even better.
That reads like a great plan, Vipe
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Night, I'm fighting massive cravings.
Going to sleep
Old 03-15-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rest up Trees - you'll feel better in the morning, for sure

D
Old 03-15-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Sleep on it Trees.
Tomorrow is another day.

All the best
Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Morning all. I'm not feeling well. Going to the doctor this morning. I'm going to tell him I'm newly sober. I hate that, you never know how they'll react. I've been feeling really bad for about a week. All kinds of weird symptoms, mostly just tired and very grouchy. I may ask for anti depressants. I've had to take them before, and I think they helped.
I've been sober for 33 days. I should feel better by now.
One amazing good thing is that I'm not having the cravings. What an incredible relief!
I hope everyone is doing okay. Sorry you had such a hard time, Viper. I hope all of you in the US northeast are staying warm and have power. I'm in Georgia. We're very cold, by our standards, but no ice.
Hugs and happy day to all!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to tell the doctor. If they judge, maybe get a new one. They should want to help!

I had a rough night of sleep last night. Definitely thought about how that wouldn't be an issue if I drank. I eventually fell asleep after about an hour or two and slept ok. This morning I am sure glad I chose the hard way, not the easy out!!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Meow

8th day of my parents having no power, 7th day of them staying here. We all love each other, but we are all ready for them to be able to go home. Unfortunately, while the power company has found the problem (downed trees), it's not an easy problem to fix. This is all due to a massive wind storm we had last week that knocked power out for a huge chunk of our state.

Anyway, the urge to drink is getting stronger each day as I come home and my house is still full of people. Fortunately the parents know I've stopped and why, but that doesn't change the desire.

Deep breath. Don't throw away 45 days and 12 pounds, PurpleCat. Deep breath.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Stay strong PC, 45 days and 12 lbs is impressive. I'm on Day 34 but haven't lost even 1 lb!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Sober369, the best thing you can do is tell your doctor. I even tell them, "I want to tell you something confidential that you cannot share or document." Surprisingly, that has legal teeth. If they judge they are jerks. Geeee.... grouchy, exhausted, sounds like you're getting sober!! Give yourself time to reach an equilibrium. Think carefully about I throwing an antidepressant at this right now. I've been on the antidepressant roller coaster for 25 years. Do you know that 20 minutes of brisk walking produces the same effect as a normal dose of Prozac or Zoloft? Anyway, do what you need to.

PurpleC, you're up by the Great Lakes. Wow. It's got to be brutal up there. I did 110 days and lost 30 pounds. It sounds like you're on the same track as I was in the fall. I have abs again. My clothing size went back to what it was 10 years ago.

Well my car was frozen to the ground this morning. I was like "why won't it move?" Vrrrrmmm! Snap!!! It be oke it free. Then I had to break up an ice wall at the top of the driveway. The plows piled slush a foot deep and 6 feet down the driveway. I broke it up with sledge hammer. Actually, I feel like I got a lot of stress out on that ice.

I'll check in later. Thanks everone!

Vipe
Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Purple cat - hang in there. I know how you feel. My wife and I house sat for my parents when they moved to Japan for 2 years for my dads job. My mother came home for Thanksgiving AND Christmas one year. 5 weeks. Drove us nuts. It was worse because it was technically "her house". After about 8 days she was staying ANYWHERE else. Her mother, her sister, my sister, one day back at our house, repeat!

Stay strong!