Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarangel View Post
Hi guys....
I'm not new to SR, and usually post in the SA forum, but it can be pretty quiet down there, and I could really use more support and help right now. I am not sure, though, if you all would be ok with me joining. I am an alcoholic, and have been ever since my very first drink. When I drink, I drink to get drunk. Not buzzed, not tipsy. Flat on my face drunk. That is how I drink. So, I know that alcohol is something I can't ever do. And, I haven't had a drink in 3 years. Three years on the 14th of this month. But, I have no pride in that, because the only reason I haven't drank is that I am addicted to the pain meds my doc prescribed me 8 years ago.

Now, I am trying to get off all my meds. It has been a real struggle, and I have been doing everything I can to get completely sober. There is a lot more to my story, but I don't want to hog the thread. So, to distill it down a bit, I was hoping I could join the March class for additional support going through this?? If I don't stop everything for good, I am going to lose my home, my family, everything. My situation has become that dire. I recently started therapy, and NA meetings, and I am posting here all the time. I am trying to give myself every chance I can to make this work, to be the person I want and know I can be if I could only get it together and stay clean.
I am a serial relapser who absolutely can't afford to relapse again or I will lose everything. Seriously. I am alone and scared, and desperately need the support of others who are struggling too, like me. Dee suggested I join a class, and he has always been right about his advice, even when I can't see at the time that it is the right advice. But, I am not sure if I fit in here because I am a drug addict and not solely an alcoholic. But lately, I have been having terrible cravings for booze. I even had a dream about being out at a bar, trying to get a drink, but I couldn't find the bartender. I just feel really fragile and scared that one perfect storm will bring me down. I feel like I am living in a house of cards.
I am sorry I took up so much space here. Just trying to explain my situation. I am hoping that I can join this class?? Would it be okay??
I would really like to get to know all of you, and share this journey with everyone.
Thank you for 'listening'.
Hi sugarangel you ABSOLUTELY can join!!! Great to have you here! I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. You definitely should be proud of yourself to have 3 yrs of no drinking regardless the reason. Wish I did!!! Glad to hear that your also seeking other means to help yourself as well. You should be proud of yourself! Try not to listen to that little devil in the back of your head that tells you you are tempted by alcohol - kick 'um to the curb and just focus getting off the meds safely. I think a lot of times all of us addicts are our own worst enemies and we have to change our mindset with everything we've got and it can be done!! You don't have to be a serial relapser now. That's in the past..focus on the here and now. Try not to worry about your situation right now. It might be making your AV worse. Start somewhere to find confidence in yourself even if its something little and move from there. Tell yourself and believe you can do it cause you absolutely can!!!! Welcome
Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sweetichick Anton hackface sugarangel athomeuk ForeverFuzzy and BobbyE

Sugarangel, you are very welcome here. Everyone is, regardLess of their drug of choice, or their problem.

Our common ground is wanting recovery

D
Old 03-01-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome to all
Old 03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm on day 1 again. The last two months I've been trying to quit but fail every few days. Im 36 and have been problem drinking for nearly twenty years. Very heavy everyday drinking the last 10 years. I'm so miserable.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

What's up, fellow Marchers! Just wanted to stop in and say

This site is great! I honestly haven't been consistently sober since I joined a year ago, but I've made some damn good progress thanks to everyone here!
Old 03-01-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sobernunn

No reason why you can't post in this thread too Purplrks - I think it's good to have a much support as we can

D
Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome. And all the words of encouragement. I am really glad I decided to join this class. When I saw the rainbow Dee attached to the opening post, I knew this was the rigt class for me. I don't know if anyone here believes in signs, but I do, and when my life is about to take a huge turn for the better, I always start to see rainbows. Sounds silly to many, I'm sure, but it did help me decice to join this class, so hey, whatever works, yeah??
Anyway, I am grateful to be here. Last week I came very close to an od, and into the path of a moving car. I am glad to be alive, and it's time for me to get clean. I don't want to end up a statistic.
So, thanks for having me, and I will do anything I can to be there for all of you.
One day at a time. Together.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thank you Phoenix. Your post really resonated with me. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. It meant a lot to me..
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here sugarangel - and I'm glad the rainbow drew in you in

D
Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Stick with us whatever day you are on. Miserable is no way to be but I know no other way so here goes the unknown...
Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't even last one day! We had no power so husband and I ate out. What did I do? Had a glass of wine with dinner same as always. Pretty bad. The no power threw me off-- not an excuse but ...day one tomorrow. It's all an excuse, we could have gone to the diner.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Tomorrow, Bebrave. Tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I have a question, guys....
I have been having wicked bad cravings and I know there is a really good thread here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I've been looking through the stickys, cuz that's where I thought it was, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone knows where it is, could you maybe post a link?? I would so appreciate it.
Also, if anyone wants to share what they do to get through their cravings, that would be great. Lately, it seems that every time they ask at the end of a meeting if anyone has a 'burning desire', I want to raise my hand and jump up out of my chair and scream, "Me!! Me!! I do!! Help!!"lol Sounds uber dramatic, but it's true.
Anyway, if anyone can help me figure out how to handle my cravings better, it would be awesome. It's scary to me that I could have died last week, andI still want to use. I must be pretty messed up.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

A thread about cravings, I mean. Sorry for any confusion!!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

It is in the stickys but we had to bunch a few up into one link.

D
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is another link I recommend everyone read

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 03-01-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, Dee!! That's the thread I've been looking everywhere for!! Awesome. And I will read through the other thread you posted again.
Very cool.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

no probs

D
Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Uh oh. Here comes the anger. This is my trigger. Mad I can't be like the moderates and just have a drink. Even more angry I'm going to have to work at this forever. Grrrrrr. This day has been a roller coaster of unfun. I know I should get away from tv (I'm not watching TV that embellishes drinking) but I can't focus on a book and I can't listen to music because it makes me really want a drink. I haven't called my mom in two weeks and can't fathom doing that either tonight. Law and order, tacos and milk it is.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and work through it jlg.

Trust me: noone would stay sober long term if they thought they lost out on the deal.

There are some really awesome benefits of being sober - rediscovering the real you, the freedom of not being enslaved anymore and the will to do whatever you want on any given day, closer and more real relationships with people...the absence of guilt and shame...

but all these things take a little time.

It won't always be this hard or the effort so conscious, I promise

D