Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It's after midnight here and I just got home from work so I'm just doing a quick check-in to stay accountable to you and myself. Thanks for the kind words and glad to see others checking in. I'll reply to everyone in the morning but I'm tired and want to head to bed. Thanks to everyone for keeping me sober one more day.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Just joined today. I have decided not to buy anymore alcohol after I finish what I have now. Literally right as I'm typing this, my boyfriend's brother just invited me to go get drinks with him tonight for St. Patrick's Day.
He knows I'm going to rehab on Tuesday. I honestly might go.

I am so frustrated with myself.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Where is everybody? Day 7-- going out for dinner tonight where I would usually have 2 glasses of wine but my resolve is still strong. Will it last long term? Hard to say-- but I'm focusing on today.

Folks that have stopped posting-- come back! I'll check back later this afternoon.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Went out last night to dinner, my first foray into the world, with two old friends. Neither are big drinkers, I was sad to not have a glass of wine with dinner but went home early and am enjoying feeling clear headed this morning. I work weekends and used to go in hungover every Saturday - the workday is a lot more pleasant without that!

Hope everyone is feeling good, it's definitely a tough weekend but I believe in you all!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Ecstatic not to be a part of the hangover club today! Everyday I wake up with a clear head and positive attitude strengthens my resolve to not drink!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 9 starting now after I slept in crazy late. Have to be at work in a few hours, and it'll probably be another late night there. But I've only got two more days of night shifts after this before I'm moving to a daytime schedule for a while. I'm doing this so I can focus on my recovery, specifically I want to start going to AA meetings more regularly. I don't have a car and it's just too hard for me to get to the regular noon AA meeting in my town. The regular evening meeting is in a much more convenient spot. Plus I just like that AA group a lot more. I'm grateful my job is allowing me to switch schedules like this, though, of course, I did not tell them the real reason I want to make this change.

Hope your weekend is going well so far, Onlylovetoday.

Fancy seltzer drinks are amazing, laika91. My favorite is sparkling water with fresh muddled mint and just a hint of lime juice. But sparkling water with a splash of good cranberry juice (not that Ocean Spray junk) is a close second.

argillaceous, thank you for the kind words. Any support I'm trying to give here is just as much for me as it is for any of you. When I've had some good sober time in the past, I've found these three simple guidelines to be a solid foundation for my recovery plan:

1. Remember I don't have to take that first drink no matter what is going on in my life or head.
2. Ask for help as soon as I need it.
3. Help others as much as I can, even if it's just to say "Hello" or "I'm listening."

There really is something very healing about going out of your own head sometimes. And when I stop following these three simple guidelines, I always end up drinking. I've proven it time and time again over the last few years since I discovered SR.

And, of course, use the bold thing. I think I stole it from the amazing Venuscat, a longtime member and friend here.

Appreciate the kind words too, Caramel. That sense of community is an important part of my recovery. There's an amazing amount of power in the simple act of one addict helping another.

Welcome to the March 17 class, bluenightshade! I look forward to getting to know you better.

So glad you've joined us, rmeatgt350. As tough as these early days can be, this really is a better way of life.

Good for you reaching out to some people you're close to and for joining us, Eastcoaster20. Post often! You don't have to do this alone.

Great job getting to that AA meeting and sharing, NapsteR1. Wishing you a pleasant Saturday.

My Facebook friends page was surprisingly empty of St. Patrick's Day revelry, Bebrave. Maybe all my friends are getting old. I know I am. Congrats on wrapping up one week sober today!

Huge congrats on four weeks, tonggau! That's very inspiring.

Welcome to the March 17 class, Mainecoonmama. I hope last night turned out OK and that you are able to check in soon. Just because you're going to rehab on Tuesday--which is awesome, by the way--doesn't mean you can't stop drinking today. You're in my thoughts.

The Hangover Club is nowhere near as cool as the Class of March 17 , sunshine72. Have a great day!

If you haven't checked in yet today, hope you'll do so soon. Build those accountability muscles, and remember you're not in this by yourself.

I'm not going to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Day 9 and feeling fine.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Bravo!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 9 and glad you joined us, Roy19950!

How are you doing, Harryho? Welcome to the March 17 class.

Time for work. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Saturday night or Sunday morning for our Australian brethren.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

CaseyW, you're a champ. 😎

Working through day 6 here!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

I slipped real bad last night. I ended up going to the bar and having 5 drinks. However, I am proud that I didn't take the drugs I was given.
I ended up oversleeping and missing work. Another reason to stop this nonsense.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Off the wagon

Made it to day 11 then went back to booze. Within 9 days I was wasted and in jail. Got a DUI, blew a .253 and let down everyone I love. Too low for words.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jlg76 View Post
Made it to day 11 then went back to booze. Within 9 days I was wasted and in jail. Got a DUI, blew a .253 and let down everyone I love. Too low for words.
Ouch, can't change that mate, but you can change tomorrow
Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Very full day today, totally full of stuff that would have been completely un-achievable a couple of weeks ago.

Up at 05:00, loaded race bike and all my gear into van - then the bloody thing wouldn't start, took 20mins to get it running, then off to a mate's to get his then hours drive to the drop off point (being taken to Spain) then back to drop him off, back to mine and swop van for road bike and off to meet a different bunch to spend a few hours blasting around the countryside, back home again, walk dog, go to gym, home again for fresh veg and salmon paella, hour of telly and bed. *yawn.

Not a drink was lifted, not got much on tomorrow but it's all mine to change :o)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Oh Jlg,
I just about want to cry reading your post. Please stay close to SR. I hope you can make a plan that will help as time goes on.
Remember that we can't change the past but the future can hold any possibility we are ready to work for.
Thoughts and prayers for you.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Working on day 4 here. So far so good. I kept myself busy last night and dyed my hair instead of boozing on the couch. Having a long bath tonight and will find something to do later on to keep me occupied. I am dedicated to putting my sobriety and myself first from now on and it feels amazing 🙂

I do have to admit though that having pizza for supper made me crave a cold one but had a pop instead.

I still haven't told DH that I'm not drinking anymore. I'm not in the mood for the " you just need to learn how to drink " speech.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop by for a quick hello.

tonggau, you rock! Four weeks is an amazing milestone. Though I’m only on Day 4, you inspire me to go farther.

I’m like you Bebrave, I wonder whether this can last long-term, whether I’ll have the resolve. I so want assurances I can do it, but am having to live by one-day-at-a-time now more than I ever have before. But you are incredibly brave to do this, and now you’re already on Day 7. Yay!

Speaking of brave, Maincoonmama, making the decision to go to rehab is incredibly courageous. I know that when I knew I really needed to quit I would drink more because I didn’t want to let it go. Post here first if you feel like drinking. It helps.

Jig76, I echo NapsteR1 and peacefulintent, you can’t change what happened but can change what’s yet to come. I’m glad you came here to post, as difficult as it was.

And Welcome! to everyone else who has just joined.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

I've been there. Use this setback as your fuel to achieve the life you want. It's going to be ok. It really sucks but it could be so much worse. Gotta go through with the logistics of the DUI and every dollar you spend and every minute you spend talking to lawyers or going to court be a reminder not to f@*& around with the booze! Happy you are back here and you were honest. That takes serious courage. And your story serves as good reminder to some of us.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Popping in on day 2.
Rough day yesterday stuck in the hospital for my kid. There is a bad flu going going around and we hit worst with vomiting and dehydration. Luckily the doctors were understanding. The last time we went for it they tried to say we didn't force enough fluids. We took offense. We some is sick it throws off the whole dynamic and routine. Everyone is tried from lack of sleep and cleaning up and trying to disinfectant the the house. When you force food and fluids and they are constantly throw up. You know the dehydration has set in. Crossing our fingers noone else gets it.

Wonder if they think I am full of crap taking the day off work. Hmm flu St Patty's day. I guess it is inconsequential either way.

Yes back know on day 2. Had a few leftovers on Thursday night. I. Knew I should not have. I have reall cut down my drinking in March. It still rears it's ugly head. Today I walked 20,000 steps on my fitbit. I need to get out. After being homes the last fews nigths and hospital last night.

Hoping I can string maybe a month together. I want to. But the darth sidious keeps tempting me. Luckily I tired my self out. Will take a sleeping pill. Sober most importantly. The struggles continue and the battles go on.

Great job everyone making progress!! It you need to reset do it

No judgement here. I put together a few different sobriety stints previously. Then silly thoughts sink in. I questioned if I was a dry drunk and because jealous of the partaking. So I joined the party and it hit back hard. Drinking more frequently again. Plain around drunk escapades becomes everyday.

I found the document Dee sent out. It is very good.
Developing a Wellness Toolbox
To develop this plan, the only materials you need are a three-ring binder, a set of five tabs or dividers, and
lined three-hole paper. Before you begin working with the tabbed sections, you will create a resource list to
keep in the beginning of your binder. This section is called the Wellness Toolbox. In it you identify and list the
things you use to help yourself feel better when you are having a hard time. Some of them are things you know
you must do, like eating healthy meals and drinking plenty of water; others are things you could choose to do
to help yourself feel better. You can also list things you would like to try using to keep yourself well or to help
yourself feel better. You will refer to this list for ideas when you are developing the tabbed sections of your plan.
Some ideas for your Wellness Toolbox might be—
 eating three healthy meals a day
 drinking plenty of water
 getting to bed by 10:00 p.m. (or at a good regular time for you)
 doing something you enjoy–like playing a musical instrument, watching a favorite TV show, knit-
ting, or reading a good book
 exercising
 doing a relaxation exercise
 writing in your journal
 talking to a friend on the telephone
 taking medications
 taking vitamins and other food supplements
You can get more ideas for your Wellness Toolbox by noticing the good things you do as you go through your
day, by asking your friends and family members for suggestions, and by looking into self-help resource books.
Write down everything, from really easily accessible things, like taking deep breaths, to things you only do once
in a while, like getting a massage. This is a resource list for you to refer back to when you are developing your
plans. Your Wellness Toolbox works best for you if you have enough entries so you feel you have an abun-
dance of choices. Just how many entries you have is up to you. If you feel positive and hopeful when you look
at the list, then you have enough. You can continue to refine your Wellness Toolbox over time, adding to your
list whenever you get an idea of something you’d like to try, and crossing things off your list if you find they no
longer work for you.
Once you’ve gotten your Wellness Toolbox underway, insert it into your notebook. Then, insert your five tabbed
dividers, with several sheets of paper after each tab and a supply of paper at the end of the notebook.
Daily Maintenance Plan
On the first tab write “Daily Maintenance Plan.” If you haven’t already done so, insert it in the binder along with
several sheets of paper.
Feeling Well
On the first page, describe yourself when you are feeling all right. If you can’t remember, or don’t know how you
feel when you are well, describe how you would like to feel. Make it easy. Make a list. Some descriptive words
that others have used include: bright, talkative, outgoing, energetic, humorous, reasonable, argumentative.
Now when you aren’t feeling very well you can refer back to how you want to feel.
Dreams and Goals
Some people use their plans to make a list of their dreams and goals, too. If you think you would find it help
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this. Do you have Uber or Lfyt in your area? These are great apps that can take you for a ride if you need to go somewhere.