SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2016 part 42 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/405073-class-march-2016-part-42-a.html)

Dee74 02-19-2017 07:45 PM

Class of March 2016 part 42

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-41-a-20.html

D

PhoenixJ 02-19-2017 07:47 PM

thanks, D.

KiKi0615 02-19-2017 08:43 PM

Wow! Part 42 ALREADY!!! We are a chatty bunch!

KiKi0615 02-19-2017 08:45 PM

I wanted to repost my post from this afternoon because I think it has a powerful message about the effects of alcoholism on children.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this happened on my walk today..........

I was about 30 minutes into it and I saw a really cute dog. I walked over to say hello and realized I knew the owner! She was an old friend of my daughters. (15 years old). I haven't seen her in a few years because they don't really hang out anymore.

Anyway, I said hello and ended up talking with her for about 30 minutes. I asked her how she had been and she said "well....it's been an interesting year...I will just leave it at that."

After talking for a few minutes she started to open up to me. I have always been good with teenagers for some reason. Well it turns out a year ago when she was 14 she tried to kill herself and was doing a lot of cutting on her arms etc. so she was in a pediatric psych ward for 10 months. So sad.

I hate to say this but I have kinda seen this coming since she and my daughter were in the same Kindergarten class 10 years ago. Her mom is a bad alcoholic and it had really effected her 2 kids over the past 10 years. Her mom's alcoholism really progressed and she ended up leaving her kids and husband.

She still saw them but my daughter's friend said even when she was only 5 years old she knew her mom was drinking and it made her feel like she was being abandoned because her mom was never emotionally there for her. This took me straight back to when I was 15 so I was able to talk to her and relate. It was kinda like 2 hurt 15 year olds talking....

Anyway, she is doing much better now but I could see the sadness in her eyes when she said her mom is still drinking and her older brother is now on drugs. It made me realize how much damage we really do to our kids when we drink even if we think they don't know. They DO know! And it causes life-time pain.

I was so glad I saw her today and I think it was definitely a "God thing". I think God wanted me to see the pain and suffering that kids of alcoholics can and do go through if their parents still drink. It reinforced why I don't want to drink anymore.

Anyway, she's not suicidal anymore and doesn't cut her arms. She is 15 now and is back in school. She said she is going to start volunteering at the local psychiatric hospital and wants to be a psychologist someday so she can help troubled kids.

I told her how proud I am of her and hugged her!!! Her dad ended up getting re-married but her mom is still drinking and absent.

The thing that really struck me was when she said that she remembers her mom drinking all the way back to when she was in kindergarten and it really hurt her. They KNOW folks! :-(

It was really good to be able to be there for her today instead of being a selfish ******* out at a bar drinking. Stupid. Just wanted to share....

Dee74 02-19-2017 09:32 PM

It was definitely worth sharing twice Kiki - thank you for that :)

D

PhoenixJ 02-20-2017 03:32 AM

Hi peoples. Met with new counsellor. Said that. Feeling wary of new enviro. It seems too good. Survival me does not want to let go. That will, I know take time to ride out the emotions and soldier on. Not a prob. The biggie for today is examining my feelings towards family- now. Based on the tools I have learnt as a big boy- not a kid throwing a wobbly. Still raw- all the guilt, shame, feeling alone- blah, stuff. Coping okay with it but. Tiring. Loving my new space. Did my first post-loony (I am one too- but not a communal loony now) painting today. My fav. so far. Will put up in the gallery soon. I was told by staff strictly 3 months then on to next stage. Just met a fellow non communal loon ( a good egg) who says some have been at this stage up to 7 months. He is on 5. Housing availability. I can cope- it is okay- because it is prioritised. Domestic violence mum's for instance. Have a good one all.

beerbgone 02-20-2017 05:45 AM

Good mornin' Marchers. I hope everybody had a great weekend and that the week ahead is smooth sailing! No troubles, big bubbles.

Purplrks3647 02-20-2017 05:53 AM

Woweee, we're just Marchin' along, aren't we??? :) Just wanted to stop in and say hello during our break of startin' fluid! My calves are still sore from Friday's workout ~ guess I'd better keep going!

samantha14 02-20-2017 06:02 AM

Morning class. It's a holiday here today - Family Day. I do have to work however but have a weird shift that doesn't start until three this afternoon and ends at eleven. I am not really an evening person so we shall see how this goes. Lol. Maybe I will manage to sleep in tomorrow morning.

Well off to face the day. The sun is shining and some startin' fluid is calling my name.

Thanks for the new home Dee!!

Bobbieka 02-20-2017 06:28 AM

Good morning.

My thighs and calves hurt. The good kind of, muscle building hurt.

Office is quiet today. Presidents' day.

My son is doing well. Got a sponsor. Now, he needs a job.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Bobbieka 02-20-2017 06:30 AM

Thought for the Day

Liquor used to be my friend. I used to have a lot of fun drinking. Practically all the fun I had was connected with drinking. But the time came when liquor became my enemy. I don't know just when liquor turned against me and became my enemy, but I know it happened, because I began to get into trouble. And since I realize that liquor is now my enemy, my main business is keeping sober. Making a living or keeping house is no longer my main business. It's secondary to the business of keeping sober. Do I realize that my main business is keeping sober?

Meditation for the Day

I can depend on God to supply me with all the power I need to face any situation, provided that I will sincerely believe in that power and honestly ask for it, at the same time making all my life conform to what I believe God wants me to be. I can come to God as a business manager would come to the owner of the business, knowing that to lay the matter before Him means immediate cooperation, providing the matter has merit.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may believe that God is ready and willing to supply me with all that I need. I pray that I may ask only for faith and strength to meet any situation.

PhoenixJ 02-20-2017 06:35 AM

Glad, b.

Upstairs 02-20-2017 06:53 AM

Morning Marchers! Fast approaching March once again. Nine days I guess. It has been a long, long year for me. I think this year will be much better. Optimism! That's new for me.
I'm happy for your son, Bobbieka! I hope he finds a job. Or even volunteers. Too much free time is trouble for most everyone.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Ladybug2 02-20-2017 07:10 AM

Morning all!

Day 12 ... haven't made it past 12 days in probably over a year. My daughter is still recovering from that awful stomach bug. Feel so bad for her. Holiday weekend and off school today and she can't really do anything. Missed her first sleepover at her bff's last night and missing a lunch play date with her cousin today. Could be worse. Just laying low today.

Hope everyone has a great Monday! Thanks for the new thread, Dee.

Bobbieka 02-20-2017 07:12 AM

Woohoo, LB! You got this.

clearlyheaded 02-20-2017 07:55 AM

Morning Marchers!

Kiki - definitely worth the second post here.

Sam - Hope the different schedule doesn't throw you off too much. If it messes with you, be sure to post here :)

PJ - change can be hard. Adaptation is good. The work you have done and continue to do will help you transition. Hope it is a smooth process all around, especially the mental and emotional parts.

Bobbie - glad to hear about your son. Good luck to him on the job front.

LB - you've got this. One foot in front of the other. Just for today. You know the drill.

Made it to work early today. DD is off of school and decided to go to the day program at one of our gyms. It's a bit out of the way, so we woke up extra early, she had everything ready to go the night before, etc. Love smooth mornings - especially when our normal routine gets shaken up! These kinds of mornings were always very stressful when I was drinking. Today it was a breeze. hope everyone has a great day!

Bobbieka 02-20-2017 11:18 AM

Bad joke time.

What did the fisherman say to the card magician?
Pick a cod, any cod!

I'll be here all week, folks.

ManInTheArena 02-20-2017 01:27 PM

Bobbie, that joke is terrible. Thank you!

Do you remember a song called "Wet Dream" by Kip Addotta. It's a constant wordplay on fish related things. It's pretty funny.

Good to see everyone doing well today. Meeting over and done. All went well and headed back home now.

Bobbieka 02-20-2017 01:29 PM

Great job, MITA. Safe travels. Yes, I remember that song. It's pretty funny.

KiKi0615 02-20-2017 02:57 PM

Hi guys. Late check-in today. My kids are off school today for President's Day and it throws me off.

My day has been a freaking battle with the AV. Every time I think the old hag has gone away she pops up again. Grrrrrr....... Early sobriety is hard but I have to get through early sobriety to make it to the easier parts. I think it is safe to say I will NOT be drinking today. When I had my last craving, I killed it with food, a call to a friend in AA. a call to my sponsor and a few texts to my recovery friends.

Well today is day 10. I pray that I am never in the single digits again!

Off to make dinner for the family. Love you all!!!