Notices

Class of March 2016 part 42

Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Morning friends. Sunny, cool and breezy today. Kinda digging it. Slept pretty well last night, so hopefully today will go a little better than yesterday. Have a great day!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Purp - check in, let us know how you're doing.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Good morning, friends!

1 week sober, again. I still have yet to make it past the 2 week mark, but I am going to do it this time. Going to an AA meeting this afternoon and then to my Celebrate Recovery meeting at church tonight so lots of recovery today

Hi Kiki! Glad you are back. Love you!

BBG, startin' fluid alway tastes extra good without a hangover.

Hope everyone has a great and sober day. This class is the best
Old 03-09-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Good morning my favorite people!

Weather is pretty awesome here too, CH.

Well, I really should do something productive to earn my paycheck.

I hope you all have a great day!!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Thought for the Day

If we had absolute faith in the power of God to keep us from drinking and if we turned our drink problem entirely over to God without reservations, we wouldn't have to do anything more about it. We'd be free from drink once and for all. But since our faith is apt to be weak, we have to strengthen and build up this faith. We do this in several ways. One way is by going to meetings and listening to others tell how they have found all the strength they need to overcome drink. Is my faith being strengthened by this personal witness of other alcoholics?

Meditation for the Day

It is the quality of my life that determines its value. In order to judge the value of a person's life, we must set up a standard. The most valuable life is one of honesty, purity, unselfishness, and love. All people's lives ought to be judged by this standard in determining their value to the world. By this standard, most of the so-called heroes of history were not great men. "What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world, if he loseth his own soul?"

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may be honest, pure, unselfish, and loving. I pray that I may make the quality of my life good by these standards.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Just for Today

In the past, we made simple situations into problems; we made mountains out of molehills."

Basic Text, p. 90

Making mountains out of molehills seems to be our specialty. Have you heard it said that to an addict, a flat tire is a traumatic event? Or how about those of us who forget all pretense of principle when confronted with a bad driver? And what about that can opener that won't work, you know, the one you just threw out the second story window? We can relate when we hear others share, "God, grant me patience right now!"

No, it's not the major setbacks that drive us to distraction. The big things-divorce, death, serious illness, the loss of a job-will throw us, but we survive them. We've learned from experience that we must reach out to our Higher Power and others to make it through life's major crises. It's the small things, the constant day-to-day challenges of living life without the use of drugs, that seem to affect most addicts most strongly in recovery.

When the little things get to us, the Serenity Prayer can help us regain our perspective. We can all remember that "turning over" these small matters to the care of our Higher Power results in peace of mind and a refreshed perspective on life.

Just for Today: I will work on patience. I will try to keep from blowing things out of proportion, and walk with my Higher Power through my day.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

FreeOwl wrote this in reply to someone on the Newcomer's thread. I really liked it and try to live like this. They put it into words better than I can.

"Each morning, resolve to yourself right out loud "Today I choose to make this life as deep, rich, rewarding, present and abundant as I can. Today, in honor of that choice, I will _____________________" and then list those specific actions of the day that honor your choice of SOBRIETY. Not just "not drinking"."

Recovery is so much more than just "not drinking". It's time we embrace sobriety.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I love you Bobbie! Thank you so much for all you have done, and continue to do, for me, and for all of us. You are such an integral part of this community. Your strength has gotten me so much further than you will ever know. Thank you thank you thank you.

AL
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Love you too, AL. We do this together.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hey guys...late check in. On the most boring of all conference calls right now. Blah. It has been a day of meetings and calls and employee reviews...double blah. I feel like I have been super winey lately and for that I am sorry. I just feel heavy...like in my heart. Putting one foot in front of the other is the best I have to give today. Not going to feed the darkness any alcohol though...that would just make it stronger and more powerful. No need for that. Going to see my therapist in a hour...hoping to find some relief.

Love you all. We deserve greatness...not giving up until I get there ❤❤
Old 03-09-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hey guys....checking in with tail between legs.....still here, though. Better keep going! Gotta get ready for drum lesson
Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Love you, Purple.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Take care Purp
Old 03-09-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

BBT time folks. Catch ya' tomorrow!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Well I was going to watch my new dvd that just arrived.....something about a region restriction and it's unable to play. Figures, right? But things could be much worse so I'm trying no to complain.

I saw a quote today with a cute picture of a turtle: "Your speed doesn't matter. Forward is forward."

So forward I shall go! Thanks so much to all of you for being here!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Today was weird. Still felt a little hungover as I have been feeling all week. Foggy in the brain, moody, all that jazz....not sure if it's residual from not sleeping well, or I have a lot on my mind and am feeling distracted. Regardless, I know I need to be careful since this is when the f-its tend to happen. Telling on myself in advance since tomorrow is Friday, and kid free. I'll stick close tomorrow for sure. Going to hit a hot shower and read before bed. Night all. Thanks for being your awesome selves!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

take care CH
Old 03-09-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Will do, PJ. How are you doing? Been thinking about you.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

I am okay thanks, CH. Life goes on.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

"Defenses are a part of human nature that help us cope with life. They can be helpful or harmful, like fire that can warm us or burn us. It depends on how we use them and how rigid they are.

Defenses help people cope emotionally, often positively. When defenses become too important and too much a part of the false self, they move from being a solution, a part of healthy coping, to the problem itself. Defenses can be used to justify or vindicate. Defenses can distort. They help an individual deny or change reality.

In active addiction, you were narrow, rigid, and highly defended. Your defenses were protecting you in some ways, but they also harmed you. You used them to get rid of bad feelings such as anxiety, anger, neediness, and self-doubt. Your defenses also kept you in a rat's cage repetition, so you kept feeling awful."