Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Just listened to the new song and watched the video for "Sober Saturday Night" by Chris Young. Powerful.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hey all just checking in on Day 54. Still sober but have been neglected posting for a while though I have been reading and keeping up with how you are all doing.

My drinking has left me with a financial mess to clean up and I'm just finding it a bit overwhelming at the moment and though I'm trying to be positive I'm just feeling a bit meh (it is a word ).

Great to see you all doing so well
Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi class.

Back from vacation and haven't even been home one day and I'm really struggling today. Woke up this morning wanting (feels like more of "needing") to have a drink. Trying to figure why this is when everything was going so well. All I can come up with is that my home is where I hid and drank for years. Not sure what to do...
I read about so many of you who go to meetings. Any suggestions for someone like me who does not have that as an option?
Hanging in there; white knuckles and all.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Recovering

Just a quick check in as I've just finished another too-long day at work. And I think Mentium has given me his flu! But it's brilliant to see you again Mentium. Sorry about the flu. I've coughed so much today my lungs, throat and head are all really sore.

But even on a tiring and feeling-lousy day, I had not even the mearest hint of craving. I'm amazed, but very pleased. Of course I shall watch out for an ambush. I feel lousy today, but very positive about sobriety
Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon Mentium

D
Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi Class.
Making small steps each day.
Peace.
WB
Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you WB

D
Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Haven't posted in here much. Day 36.

Still a lot of ups and downs. AV has started to act up recently. There's a wedding this weekend that I RSVPed that I declined. But it seems to be gnawing at me. I don't think I'm strong enough to make it through a wedding sober.

My brain still seems to try to convince me a drink would be really good. Have to stay vigilant and keep posting on SR.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hey January
This is good. We are doing well.
Soon it will March.
Keep strong. I'm looking up to you all as my inspiration 😎
Day 18..
Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day55.
Glad to see so many familiar names pop back on the thread.

For me, other than the first week, this is the hardest period of staying sober yet. I am with you all who are having to dig deep and push through.

This feels like a run, where we get over the initial hard bit, go through the plateau feeling OK and suddenly encounter a big hill and self doubt appears from nowhere. I think yesterday I decided to just **** it and run harder.

Similarly to Cara, I am also dealing with financial issues, poor decisions and wrong turns, all done while being a 24/7 drunkard in my past life . I am not that person now. From now on, it is all about a positive outlook and building new, good decisions. One after another.

Have a wonderful , healthy, sober day Januarians. One more day.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-24-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Day 29 here. So happy to see everybody accumulating those days.
Sounds like a couple of you are having a hard time at the moment. Keep the faith. Remember to play that tape forward. One day at a time. Lots of love to you all. X
Old 02-24-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Seems like we're all starting to have some cravings - weird how it hits everyone at the same time!

I haven't really felt the urge to drink, but I've been a little more short tempered than usual and I think it may be my AV rearing its ugly head. Also my boss and I don't really get along, so maybe it's just that. He doesn't make me want to drink, just makes me want to quit haha

Anyway - hang in there everyone! Now that we've had a taste of how good life can be lets get back there!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Well I've lost a post somewhere - which is to say my morning post meant for here is no doubt lost in some other thread nobody reads anymore! My brain is clearly not fully functioning yet after my bout of flu - or whatever it was. Oh well will post some of it again. : )

Attended AA last night and didn't say too much because of the remains of the bug, but it was an intense meeting, including a share from a woman 90 days sober who lives with her active alcoholic husband who abuses her. She was in tears and her suffering very obvious. How she is staying alcohol free is something else. It was 'one of those' meetings I guess - and it is amazing how the character of them can change from meeting to meeting.

If you have not been and you feel you need support AA really is worth trying. I was a bit of an AA basher for a while, but I've come around. I really don't think I could stay sober for too long without it - but of course that is just me.

Sobriety is not going amazingly though. I'm not at a 'typical' stage because I've been pretty ill and my mood and brain have been preoccupied with all that, but as I emerge there flatness of mood is returning. As I have posted previously I am convinced that dopamine issues are my problem given how many years I drank and how damaged the natural system probably is. I do have supplements I was taking, but stopped when I was ill. Will be starting those up again tomorrow. Plus Spring's arrival (not quite here yet!) will help!

Take care all.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Day 39. Off to a meeting! Happy Friday!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, still here and sober.

Yesterday, around lunch time at work, I found myself daydreaming about picking up some alcohol on the way home from work. So I tried to examine the thoughts to see what was triggering them.

They grew larger and louder. I ran through my checklist of HALT and I was a little bit hungry, so I hoped that would be the end of the fantasizing. It worked for awhile, because I was so busy at work.

I just really craved, both physically and mentally, a drink. On the drive home from work, I debated, the whole way, with myself and said out loud all the pros and cons. I did come up with an answer why I was craving so bad and that was mostly because I wanted a high. Maybe it's a bit of boredom I need to start addressing.

I made it home without stopping, but even then, I wasn't sure if I was going to say..... stuff it.... and go back out to get some. So I just left the option open, and I told myself that I would eat my dinner early, and then see how I felt.

Thank god, the urge did pass after I'd eaten but I still feel a bit unnerved how easily I could have been swept away, back to the very start again.

One thing is certain though, and that is if I wasn't a part of this group and SR, I would have woken up this morning with a full blown hangover and probably would be doing that again tonight. It's amazing how much I have learned here, from you all.

Grateful to wake up sober again.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I also had a bit of a struggle this evening, feeling that "what harm would one night really do?" I was able to talk myself down by remembering that it wouldn't be just one night and if by some chance I did manage to keep it to just one night, the high wouldn't satisfy me. I'd either not get drunk enough to really enjoy it, so why bother, or I'd get too drunk and be sick, so why bother. I never could hit that middle ground where "normal" drinkers seem to stay. So knowing that I had the option but it wouldn't satisfy whatever the craving was about helped me not take the option. Sigh...
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Sigh indeed. Good for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also had a bit of a struggle this evening, feeling that "what harm would one night really do?
It was always the first drink that started it off and got me in trouble, not the last one.

as long as you accept that, that kind of AV proposal will always sound as ridiculous as it is.

D
Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 55 here. Today was a fight...but my AV lost!
The SR meeting online tonight couldn't have come at a better time. So grateful for that. Will write more tomorrow, just wanted to check in.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

yay Ina

D