Notices

I Will Not Drink/Use Today Part 4

Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Hi All,

No, Gilmer...we had a schedule conflict and moved our date to next Friday.

Just found out my fav blues band from Pgh will be in St Pete in 2 weeks. So excited! Loves me some Billy Price!

Nothing to do today...but, my week is filling up. Work, the gym and AA are staples...but I've added a golf match, sushi dinner, kayaking and a date to the mix. The active-alkie in me would keep going...the recovering me knows that is enough.

I'm doing well with shedding my 40 things in 40 days.

Can't wait for my Buddhism and the 12 Step book and workbook!!

How's it going beth and alyn?

Gilmer, glad that you reconnected with a passion in a new way.

Glee, what is shakin in your world?

Cour, hope that you are feeling better.

Hi Toml, Dee, badg, Bim...and anyone else.

Have a good one, all.

Carlos

some billy price blues - if interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HYfYsCIwsY
Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Looking forward to seeing your pictures, Badge!

Glee, I'm so glad you got something useful out of my needlework post! I feared that all that talk of threading and rethreading needles would anesthetize everyone on the spot!

And I'm really glad that you can. And I'm really glad you can remember where you were that last night!

Are you feeling any better today, Courage? I hope so.

And how about you, Bethshebas and Alyn? How are you guys today?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
p***enger

Here I yam. I love your story, Gilmer. I learned to embroider when I was a kid. What are you making? I <3 samplers.

Glee, it sounds like you take a mentoring approach to leadership at work. I think that's more rewarding at both ends of the relationship than overseer.

Re what you realized about your last drunk -- Be grateful that you can revisit the same places and people in a better state, but don't overthink it. You might mention it to your sponsor, yes?

When I was first getting sober, I wanted insight into my life as a drunk. I'd hear people say "look back at the past but don't stare" and I'd understand the point, but I couldn't help it. That past was all I had -- my 'now' was just getting through a sober day (which honestly wasn't often much to think about) and my future was unimaginable.

So I thought about my drinking experiences and what it was about me that got into them a lot. It was painful but I learned some things about myself. I had a sponsor at that time, and she talked me through a lot of it.

That's enough from me. I've diagnosed myself -- I have blight.

But I'm not going to drink over it.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

I'm good Gil!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hey, Glee and badg...looks like we had crossing posts this morning.

Yes, post a pic, badg.

Glee, hummm, I remember every little detail of my last drunk. Was meeting a friend to play my first round of golf for the year. Got to the club and he called to say that work had him running late. Now, I'm at the course already, but, I leave and go pick up a pint of vodka...which I chug down in no time flat. I chased it with the remaining morphine that I had left over from the Hospice pak at my Dad's after he passed away.

I was missing the ball - fell down twice...we played like 12 holes and it became dark so we went inside the clubhouse and had dinner. I had nothing else alcoholic to drink, but, even HOURS later I was violated in trying to start my car. I had an alcohol interlock device that required I blow into it to start my car. I waited an hour and failed again....another hour - another failure. Three failures at 50 a pop - so my insult to injury was that it cost me 150 bucks to finally be able to start my ride.

Came home and laid in bed for days wishing I was dead. About 10 days later I finally decided to attempt to change...June 3, 2013...I might not have drank for about 10 days prior, but, I didn't start to recover until that first AA meeting...so that's ,my sober date.

I know that sounds like a crappy story and it was a low for sure - emotionally. However, not even in my top 25 drunks with terrible consequences. With 10 plus DUI's...trust me - I had some very bad drunks with severe consequences.

Still don't know why I am alive - killed nobody - and my life is more than I could ever have imagined - just got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Nice evening, all.

Carlos
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Speaking of different approaches, a member named Trachemys just totally revolutionized my thinking!

He suggested I buy several needles and thread each one with the different colors!

WOW!

There's another lesson: you never know when and where you're going to get input that will really, really help you! Keep your eyes and ears open!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

I will not drink/use today at least.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

No drinking or drugs for me today, either.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
p***enger

Me neither re using today-- I'm glad it's past the time when I want to, most days. When I find myself even thinking of drink or drugs, I know there's something amiss. I try to address the cause of bad thinking.

My alcoholic thinking -- but not my alcoholism -- has almost nothing to do with alcohol. Liquor was a big big blinder over my eyes so that I wouldn't have to look at all the things I fear -- but it was just a convenience. The blinder could have been anything -- liquor was an obvious given my family & my taste for it, but it was drugs for a long time, and it could have been rage, or eating, or spending...

how's it going today, tom?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

It's going good, thanks for asking! Drugs was it for me too but alcohol was so much easier and cheaper to get!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hey Gilmer, is ok to call you Gil? I've seen a couple of times where someone called you glimmers or something like that!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Either one is fine.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Hey Gilmer, is ok to call you Gil? I've seen a couple of times where someone called you glimmers or something like that!
She's called glimmer because she shines

Once again, I let myself get aggravated today. Self-soothing with the giraffe-cam.

No alcohol or drugs tonight.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Thank you, Cour. (Blushes).
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Not drinking today! This is my third time trying to get sober..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
p***enger

You can do it, Toivo!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hi, Toivo! It took me three times, too.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey Courage- Lovin the giraffe cam! keeping watch all night, she is soothing isn't she.
Welcome Toivo! third time will be the charm, you can do this!
Hey Gilmer- staying out of trouble?
Having some personal issues at work, there are only 5 people that work in my division, and we are all fairly close, get along really well, both at work and socially. So this past weekend one of them took off a weekend , no big deal and she was joined by another co worker, the 2 have them have known each other for years and their kids play together. What puzzles me, and okay irritates me is that they didn't want me to know about it, wtf,,,,who cares, their families do stuff together all the time. Weird, of coarse my insecurities are not helping things and my mind will not let it go, like it matters, oh well not going to drink today over it

Badge
Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

That kind of stuff bothers anybody badge. It's not just you. Was it because of alcohol? Anyway, no drinkin or usin here today!
Old 02-28-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hang in there Toivo!!