Notices

I Will Not Drink/Use Today Part 4

Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

So I know you probably don't go into your profession much here for obvious reasons, but are you somehow involved in being forced to take a stand on the political climate? Because even so, I would think opinion one way or the other needs to be left out of education, right?

I had a (maybe history) teacher in high school who was obviously of one bent politically. This was during the Cold War, and Vietnam. I hated his classes, and I didn't even have an opinion - I just hated his ranting and it was obvious he was a little unhinged, and it all scared me a little. I used to spend his classes with my radio headphone in and writing, "48 minutes. 48 minutes. 47 minutes..." I never took notes and I didn't do his assignments and I'm pretty sure I barely squeaked by in his class. In years since I've often wondered why someone didn't shut him up (like the admin) but I guessed it was probably that no one complained and no one knew (?)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm an academic in the social sciences. I can't tell you how many meetings I've been invited to attend in my workplace in which tears have been shed and stances have been taken over politics and policy. People take note of who does and doesn't attend. Statements are being drafted -- who does or doesn't sign. My tension doesn't arise from the substance of any debate -- it's that there is no substance, just fear and anger.

People sometimes say that when the revolution comes, it's the intellectuals who are first against the wall. Maybe. Because we'll be the ones to denounce each other most enthusiastically.

In case anyone didn't notice, my alcoholic thinking is bubbling to a boil. I have no intention to drink. But to act out in other ways?

How do you folks turn your mind around when your thinking goes south?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Maybe take a walk in the nice weather, practice breathing; then come home and look at pictures of things that are lovely.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I would highly recommend an iPod and headphones for these meetings if you absolutely must attend or get fired, and I'm not being facetious. Sit in the back and stay out of the fray. When they comment on your aloofness, say what you just said here.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

I mean, how I turn my mind around is to find a solution. There is always a solution. Sometimes that means leaving the room or the committee or the job. I've done all that more than once. Feeling trapped is not a good look on me.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
p***enger

I've left many things -- places, jobs, people. I dropped out of high school, went to 4 different colleges, and cut off almost every non-relative I've ever known. I was/am an alcoholic, and the type that runs to alcohol to run from everything. Rejecting what I can't find a solution for doesn't bring me closer to my fellow human beings, and sympathy is the skill I most need to learn.

To get out of alcoholic thinking, I do what I've learned. First, I post. You all are often my tether to my rightful place.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

((((Cour))))
Old 02-18-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I feel a little unhinged I look for the things to 'rehinge' me - sometimes it's being with Mrs Dee or good friends, sometimes it's my music, sometimes it's helping others here...if all else fails a long scoot and some warm sun can readjust my priorities.

I realise my battles are pretty slight compared to some...

all I can offer is the observation that everyone single person in this thread has a lot to offer, and have offered me a lot over the years

Sometimes we are our own harshest critics.

D
Old 02-18-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
p***enger

This is a lovely venue to whine in -- thanks for your indulgence with that. Honestly, I apologize for the times I post out of self-pity. In fact I'm very lucky-- but negativity still comes over me like a wave sometimes. You all truly help me gain my feet again.

I took a walk, worked on a project that interests me, and talked to my husband... other things that are good for me. I didn't drink!
Old 02-19-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I will not drink/use today. That's one reason we're all here courage! Let er rip!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

I won't drink, either. In fact, I've come to think that the whole "Alcohol is God! Let's par-tay!" culture is pretty repulsive.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When I feel a little unhinged I look for the things to 'rehinge' me - sometimes it's being with Mrs Dee or good friends, sometimes it's my music, sometimes it's helping others here...if all else fails a long scoot and some warm sun can readjust my priorities.

I realise my battles are pretty slight compared to some...
None of these actions are my default go to behaviors. I have to be reminded to try them.

Im grateful that I've become able to recognize when I'm struggling. And that it has become my default to ask others what they do when they're struggling, and willing to try their suggestions.

Courage - I'm glad you found some comfort and peace trying some of the suggestions offered.

I've had a smidgen of experience in your professional realm. My undergrad experience was at a university whose focus is on social change.

I enjoy being a student. I came "this close" to furthering my education down a social justice path, but decided to try it first to see if I liked it. My first few years out of school were for organizations that worked to change social policy for people in poverty.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hullo Sunday!

I have a skype w/my son today -- he's had something "tough" ongoing & I'm not sure what it is, but it's good that he'll tell me. When I was drinking, he was afraid to tell me anything because my reactions were self-centered and extreme. I feel very guilty about that. I want never to do that again.

I'm not going to drink or take any drugs today, for sure.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I won't drink today.

Looking forward to a serene day. Bit of gardening and cleanup , some good music to get me in the mood. Surrounded by my pets
Old 02-19-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi SnoozyQ!

I hope everyone is well tonight and had a good day.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Hiya dear Courage
Old 02-20-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hey Ya'll, had a busy weekend filled with not drinking and getting the garage somewhat cleaned up and organized. I didn't go anywhere with out my husband with me, my AV was trying to plot, plan and justify a drink, so I thought it best to stay home and not tempt it to much.
Bimini, Courage, Gilmer, Dee, Glee, SnoozyQ (surrounded by your pets, is always a great thing!) I hope your week goes smooth and awesome!
oh and I am not drinking for the next 24!
Badge
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Not drinking today!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

No drinking/using here today!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Badger - Sounds like a very productive day yesterday. Also, nice choice to avoid temptation and choose sobriety.

I spent yesterday with friends. We saw a movie together then talked over coffee for hours. It was kind of freeing for me to not be at a bar.