Notices

I Will Not Drink/Use Today Part 4

Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

C2, I don't know about other eagle streaming video later in the season, this is the first one I've ever watched for more than a couple minutes. I do know that the Florida ones do all the baby stuff earlier in the year than the northern ones. Makes sense.

There is one streaming nest video right now with three parents, so that kind of fits in with your gender roles post. It's two males and one female (adults) - kind of interesting. You can find it online now, too.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Just because I didn't drink today, I'm at least one day less likely to die of something non-alcohol related. Not the prettiest of thoughts, but true.

This is so true Courage. Short but to the point!

I'm sorry about your friend Glee

I'm taking my parents out for lunch at my friends place in the country.
No alcohol needed, just good conversation, lots of laughs and a hone made meal awaiting us.

It's the little things in life that give me the most pleasure .

I don't need for much. Drinking has taught me that. You can only wear so many clothes. Im more minimalistic as I've gotten older.

In the end, it's not the biggest house you have , the flashiest car you drive
The designer clothes you wear.

It's all about love and respect, common decency, and treating people the way we like to be treated. In the end we all go out in the same sized box.

When I drink , I'm not the real me. I like sober me.

Sober me is going to enjoy another wonderful sober day with those I love and who love me.

This is a lovely thread, thanks for allowing me to share it with you xxx
Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

That was a lovely post, Snooz!

BTW, Bim--Carlos's pet word for foxy chicks (women, not eagles) is "Babe-raham Lincolns!"
Old 02-15-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi sober friends.

My thoughts are all over the place regarding my friend's passing. As an alcoholic I tend to think it's all about me. Someone pointed out today that going to the services would show his family that he was loved before people fell away when his behavior became outwardly insane. I thought that was a great perspective.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

That's good. You're honoring the family.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
p***enger

I agree with Gilmer, glee. Let it be about respect for his family's loss and grief. Even totally screwed-up alcoholics have people who grieve them.

I'm glad I didn't drink or take any drugs today.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Just popping in to state my intention to not drink or use today. I must project that out for a few days as I am headed on a short vacation through next Monday. Taking a Florida vacation in Florida.

Some poor planning has me scrambling to finish up some work stuff and pack...old habits die hard.

Plus, I am doing a 40 day challenge to declutter that I must find things to rid from my life. I read a cool article about minimizing not only my things - but, also, my mind. It gave me some interesting food for thought - is that ironic?

No internet where I will be, except phone....sooo, I may not check back with y'all for a few.

Snooze, loved your post!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I'm not drinking today. Setting intentions for the day never hurts, though.

Hang on, Glee. Funerals bring up all kinds of stuff regardless of the individual or the situation. Your presence will be comforting to the family.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I used to think about death as a way to escape all the alcoholic feelings. not that I would have taken my own life. but I was kinda doing that anyway by pounding the booze every day!I'm still not afraid of death but things are sure a lot better being alive! I won't drink/use today.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
p***enger

I totally get it tom. I was kind of hoping booze would kill me -- but it turned out that it was going to take a looong time torturing me emotionally and physically first.

I'm really glad I'm not in that hell hole anymore.

Have a good trip, Carlos! I support your intention to de-clutter. A messy mind is a bad thing for sobriety
Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm a tad ahead of schedule. Work complete and halfway packed - not leaving until 4pm. So, some additional time to chime....

Glee, I'm sure that services will be difficult. I'm always sad when I read or see that we lost another to this disease. Loosing a friend makes it that much more difficult. I'm sure you remember that I lost my best AA friend on 2/18/15. In two days, it will have been two years. The message that she and I created and shared is literally burned into me in the form of a tatt. In her heart of hearts, she wanted recovery as much as I did, but, for some unknown reason, at least through today, I am spared. It's a gift from some power greater than me - all I can do is offer my message of experience, strength and hope...Anyway, my best as you deal with the emotions of today.

Hey, toml...count me in as one who wanted to die and be rid of all the pain and suffering I was causing myself and loved ones. I hear that often - almost all that qualify with their story when sharing at my home AA group say that same thing. There are those too that I've met that have high bottoms and never felt the desperation of a drowning man (as the bb puts it) - I did.

Catch all y'all BL's (and guys) on the rebound.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
I used to think about death as a way to escape all the alcoholic feelings. not that I would have taken my own life. but I was kinda doing that anyway by pounding the booze every day!I'm still not afraid of death but things are sure a lot better being alive! I won't drink/use today.
Oh wow Tomis, my feelings exactly. I think the hard part when we get sober is remembering the grief we caused whilst drunk, which in turn led me to drink again. It was a viscous cycle for me & still a work in progress!

Glee, how old was your friend? We will all be there in spirit as fellow alkies. It must be terrible to die as an alcoholic always trying to get well...yet never quite getting there. Always thinking we have more time to fix ourselves. But sometimes, sadly our time runs out and we don't get to finish our fight at all.

Much love and thoughts are with you today xxxx
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
p***enger

Traffic. Cream. Blind Faith.

Discuss.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still great music to me, Courage

Hi Del
Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
p***enger

Delizadee!!!!!

We've missed you a lot -- wait until Gilmer finds out

How are you?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Moody Blues- Live at Red Rocks, check out this concert on you tube. One of my favorites.

I am afraid I really only listened to Cream, and not much of them. I know who Blind Faith is and clueless on Traffic.

And with that confession I will not drink today.

Badge
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

DEL!!!

How's it going?

Is your program over?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Thanks too for sharing so much of yourselves with me. It truly gives me strength when I'm facing challenges.

Carlos brought up a good point to me. We can only be who we are meant to be when we are sober. An alcoholic's behavior when they are drunk isn't the person they are. I needed that reminder before I walked into my friend's wake. It allowed me to remember the good person he truly was underneath the addiction.

Addiction is sad. He leaves behind an ex wife whose mental health and addiction issues have rendered her unhinged & incoherent to care for their two children.

Recovery is beautiful. made the most of the sober time I spent with the old gang. I didn't feel like I was missing out when people made plans to drink/use together. Also, much as ex wife and kids plight tugs at my heart strings, I took deliberate actions to stay away from the ex wife's couple of attempts to pull me in.

Recovery truly has helped me build a life that's joyous, happy and free.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

No drinkin/usin here today.