Notices

Class of March 2016 part 39

Old 01-16-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to your twins, MITA! Yay for January birthdays!

I get a new president for my bday this year.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I was re-reading sections of this book and this was a quote that made me pause:

"Happy is one of the many things I'm likely to be over the course of a day and certainly over the course of a lifetime. But I think if you have the expectation that you're going to be happy throughout your life--more to the point, if you have a need to be comfortable all the time--well, among other things, you have the makings of a classic drug addict or alcoholic." Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking

Good reminder that while sober we aren't going to be happy every moment of every day, and we need to feel things and work through the feelings. Always coming back to needing a plan. Needing a toolbox. And using them!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Got my startin fluid in hand. We went to bed much to late. We were watching "Is OJ innocent?" It was really interesting, we are looking forward to the upcoming episodes. They seem to think his son did it. Either way some serious balls were dropped in the investigation.

I'm not sure what is on the agenda today but we are having dinner with my hubbys uncle tonight so that means no cooking! I certainly don't mind a night off.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quote, AK. I need to write that one in my journal. Happy bathing suit shopping. Hope the soak helps your back.

Happy Monday workday to those who are at work. For the first time since working at a university, I have MLK day off of work. It's nice. We also get a spring holiday (Good Friday). Nice change from the very stingy time of policy of my last job!

Slept in until 10:00. Did the dishes and am making a breakfast skillet. Then off to paint!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hola all! Well, I'm with Applekat. I overdid it on the deadlifts yesterday and now I can't seem to straighten up today. So I deliberately hurt my back. I suppose I'd rather hobble around than be sick with the flu or colds that are rampant this winter. For those guys, get well soon!
Well, today is three weeks since I started the diet. And seven weeks until my anniversary date. If I can lose another 15lbs by then, I think I'll celebrate by eating something large. Maybe a chipotle burrito bowl. Yep, food is really, really on my mind lately. Well, time to check for SR update!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I played a too-intense game of peekaboo with my 18 month old.
You win,Upstairs!

Chipotle makes me think of Kiki. Hi, Kiki!
And I still haven't had Chipotle!!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Woohoo Upstairs!! Your're doing awesome!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Big kudos to all of you doing diets right now as well as sobriety work! Bobbie, Upstairs, Sam...that's all I remember right off the top of my head lol!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Watching a murder-mystery documentary on Netflix and being a little lazy....gotta get motivated...lol

Charlie keeps looking out the window longingly and then looking back at me with the saddest face....I guess that's my cue to take her out...
Old 01-16-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I was looking through my toolbox & forgot I had saved this....(MITA shared this with us back in July ~ thought it would be cool to re-post)

''I think midlife is when the universe gently places her hands upon your shoulders, pulls you close, and whispers in your ear:
I’m not screwing around. It’s time. All of this pretending and performing – these coping mechanisms that you’ve developed to protect yourself from feeling inadequate and getting hurt – has to go.

Your armor is preventing you from growing into your gifts. I understand that you needed these protections when you were small. I understand that you believed your armor could help you secure all of the things you needed to feel worthy of love and belonging, but you’re still searching and you’re more lost than ever.

Time is growing short. There are unexplored adventures ahead of you. You can’t live the rest of your life worried about what other people think. You were born worthy of love and belonging. Courage and daring are coursing through you. You were made to live and love with your whole heart. It’s time to show up and be seen.''

~ Brené Brown

^^^And it turns out this is the same author of Rising Strong, the book I've been reading....how weird is that?!?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Serenity

One guess who this video is of?!? You all may recognize this song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A4Km5PTu5o
Old 01-16-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Purpl - Thanks for re-posting. I remember posting that, but had totally forgotten it. It is very helpful to me right now. You are awesome. This whole class is awesome!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Checking in tonight....Sleepy Time Tea is steeping and pj's are on

Purplrks (and MITA) - thanks for sharing. "Your armor is preventing you from growing into your gifts" - this especially spoke to me...

And MITA you're right - this class is awesome!!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Resting my back and thinking of all you guys.

If you haven't seen it, check out Dee's post in the Newcomers section. Working through the feelings - fitting for today. We are all human! Use your tools, add to your toolbox, onward together.

Dee, thanks for the share, thanks for all you do for us. Glad things are looking up. Well done, friend.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Oh class, I am tired and sore. Took all day, but the bathroom is painted. The color and new light fixture look so good together!! Next up is to assemble two wooden storage units... one free standing, one wall mounted. They are both a light grey finish. Should look amazing when it's all done. One step at a time though, whew...

AV started piping up as I was finishing up painting...tired, sore, hungry...wicked combination. I even gave myself permission to drink, but quickly came to my senses. Played the tape through and all of that. And to start over after 15 amazing sober days? No way!!! So I'm drinking a seltzer (passion fruit, so, so good!), and about to carb out with some chicken alfredo pasta. A hot bubble bath after DD goes to bed should make for a sound sleep tonight.

This class rocks; thinking of you guys helped me stop the destructive thoughts of drinking and pause enough to "come to". So, thanks, friends!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Purple - thanks for that passage. I remember it the first time it was posted. Speaks so much to me.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Well com'ers another day. Very hot, 39C- it really is outside- like sticking your head in a hot oven- that dry, absolutely NO moisture, baking heat. The only thing to do on such days is shutdown and wait it out. Some around me are still in kiddy mode- the 'I love this weather! I am going to the beach/gym/run.' Good for them- my days of pretending to love very hot weather are long gone These guys think they are showing a 'I am a real man' image, where I see the 'I am a complete wanker' image.
I am taking recovery stuff offered with my counsel and here very seriously. Every time I think I finally have grasped the deeper truth of my thoughts/feelings and behaviours- I scry out another, deeper more meaningful layer. A bit like the difference between a week long package tour of Australia as opposed to living with the locals for a year to really learn what is going on.
I can relate to the words, purp. There has to be a fine balance with reflecting/learning and growing from the past without getting trapped in it.
An old timer (reminds me of the iconic image of the old prospector) who said in the scheme of things- one day sober cancels out one day drinking. That of course does not mean spending the next half of my life healing by reliving the last half of my life.
Part of me thinks (well I suspect) I am still in this place- 'cos my counsel has seen such positive progress in me over the last months, I have been given the '101 master class'. She said the former, I suspect the latter.
I accept who I became and why. I forgive all the external factors that were contributing factors to that why (such as bro). I can even forgive myself (at a stretch) but the 'love thyself' part is still in a flat pack with the annoying tool and all the instructions in a different language.
Oh well. I will leave you all with an enticing fact.
Blue Whales tend not to be overly concerned with facial hair.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check in and say Hi. Doing ok, one day at a time. I'm going to start seeing a counselor on Wednesday so hopefully that will help. Love you all xxx
Old 01-17-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Morning!!

Woke up to rain and ice....meh. Feeling a bit like hibernating.

CH - you sure got a lot done yesterday! Wow! And great job recognizing the signs and squashing your AV

LB - a counsellor sounds like a great step and very brave. Proud of you

PJ - I think loving ourselves and forgiving ourselves is harder than anything we have ever faced. You are making such amazing strides and you show me everyday what is possible if you put the drink down and put the work in. Thank you for that. You're certainly right with the IKEA reference. If you figure out the instructions I'd love to her about it. As for blue whales....I think they have it all figured out.

AK - hope your back is better today

Dee - I also thank you for the post - I love your attitude and the reminder that there is always another answer. No mater what the situation drinking is never the answer....keep looking!

Well off to work. Love you guys.