Old 02-20-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I'm so busy!

Can't imagine trying to do this drunk.
I'd fail for sure.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Amp, I presume the recording session went pretty well then?
Yes! The session was cool.the studio is out in a farm in the middle of nowhere. The whole place is made of wood and the recording set up is mostly analogue. It feels really organic. We've decided to meet up once in a while in the rehearsal rooms and polish up a track with a view to taking it into the studio the following week. We'll probably do that 10 or 15 times over the next year or two and release a record at the end of it.

For me it's not about the record once it's out. It's more about the journey. The essence is not really about proving a point or gaining commercial success. It's about creativity and remaining connected to the things I care about and maintaining relationships beyond my immediate circle. The studio is an environment in which I can finally feel comfortable again. More so than at live shows for now, I think although we were invited to participate in a competition for a place at a festival this summer and I somewhat spontaneously threw our name into the hat. If we won we'd earn enough to make the record, but of course, this may involve treking up to Extremadura this summer and actually playing at the event!!

Anyway. I like being a part-time musician again. It was like I lost myself and all the parts of me when I lost the booze and I'm slowly reassembling!!!

Anyway... Hope you're all having a good week!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's great that you are reconnecting again with your music, Amp!

I think we all probably all followed the "threw the baby out with the bathwater" line of thinking. In our eagerness to create a new sober self, we presumed that anything that existed before sobriety was either no good or at the least damaged. There are many things in our lives that "were us" before drinking took over. I think it's taken me the full 20 months to somewhat sort through what is still important to me from my previous life and what was just alcoholic thinking and behavior. Being sober has opened my mind to all possibilities, including the one that many things in my past life are still important today, and have nothing to do with my addiction and make me still who I am today.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Yes. That makes a lot of sense SG. I'm thinking along very much the same lines
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Me three.
Great posts. I'm so fortunate to be part of this family!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

My "weekend" is over and I barely felt that I had time off. My kids were off Tuesday so my wife conveniently scheduled a bunch of appointments that I could run the kids to. Yesterday, we had a mandatory management meeting at work. Though it only went a couple hours, adding in the long round trip commute, it pretty much blew the majority of my afternoon. Then a counseling appointment for my son until late last night. Some weekends are just like that I guess!

Our unseasonably April weather is continuing today. Though our winter has been very mild compared to most, this warm week to has helped to cheer up my soul. Constant cold and gray skies do wear me down around the edges at times.

Best wishes for a great day everyone!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Lol on the conveniently set appts.

My day off started with a surprise conference call that I took at the gym. Followed by calling my asst mgrs for 90min and follow up call with my boss :/

Thankfully, I'm still in my honeymoon phase and everything is still fun and exciting.

That was followed by some nice 1on1 time with my fiance. We had lunch together, then shopped for a wedding band for me.

Last week I suggested we each get a book to read at night instead of TV. We hit a bookstore today and each picked one out. We'll swap when done.

Hers was a book on mindfulness which looks interesting. Mine is titled "get your sh*t together" which looks REALLY interesting.

Doing a little homework now making a Mgr schedule through April while she's at an appointment.

So far, not too bad of a day off
Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello!
Yes, totally agree - time to pick up where we left on the things we enjoyed, just minus the booze. Can't believe we're heading into another weekend and the end of the second month of 2017. March already looks pretty grim. Better than no work though.

Inc when's the wedding and I assume we will all get an invitation

Right, onwards and upwards, folks.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Actually, we don't have a date. Originally we were looking at Maine in the fall, but now the Carolinas. This will give us a chance to leave the girls with Grandma.

Ya'll wanna pick a date for me? So far, we're looking at 6/15/17.

I think 4/20 would be a good day. But we're not ready.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I don't think 4/20 is a date that you will want to remember as your wedding date, lol!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
OMD

Yeah, 4/20 might not be the best idea, although it is a date to celebrate I guess. Well, if we don't make it to the first one, maybe one of your anniversaries.

Started my cutting out the sugar crap regime today. Been urge surfing the whole day and I know the headaches are coming but guess what...I'm smashing it! Not for me today.

I hope you're all well and that you enjoy your weekends if you're not working. And if you are working, tough! Lol

OMD
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good luck with that OMD! Let us know how it goes. That's something I'd like to do in the not-too-distant future!

Just got a pre-mix of the track we recorded last week from the studio. I like it. Have a listen if you want

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35QJ_l2w-5tN25mS0pFRC14a1U/view?usp=drivesdk

Have a great weekend!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
OMD

Thanks Amp! Yes, we'll see how it goes. I don't want to cut it all out, just the extra that I don't need. We know how this goes - one day, one hour at a time...

Loved your song. And, the fact you were able to paste a link to it. No way I could do that!

Best wishes

OMD
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome back.....meant maybe more than you'd imagine.

Interesting discussion above about the neural patterns. Been reading a book entitled "The Brain that Changes Itself". Not about addiction per se, but about what it calls the 'plasticity' of the brain. A lot about experiments that show how the brain reconfigures the areas given over to different activities in response to trauma, practice.....a lot about second language acquisition, learning,......habits.

You guys sound good. Congrats OMD on engagement. It is a happy time.
Music has come back for you amp......and Incontrol....thanks for your words in a different thread.

20 days today. Settled sleep has only returned in the last week tho.

All the best
Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Arg. 20 days. Glad I'm not doing that again.

Keep pushing buddy. You know how much better you feel today?
Probably 100% better than day 1? If not 1,000%?

Ya know how the cravings are subsiding? Waaay less of them?

Well.... It get better. I swear
On my kids life..

It gets waaay better. And quick. Keep pushing. Its so much easier when you really decide no more. That your Never looking back and live for the now.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

OMD,
Better idea is we crash Amps place.

Funny with the sugar.
You're battling week 1 cravings. Hang in there buddy. Before you know it, you'll be at 20days too!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hi guys!
I'm just checking in. All is well here, just incredibly busy. I am loving all the brain chat, it's right in line with my work!
I am looking forward to catching you all up soon, so much news to share.
Sober life = amazing life!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Amp....I'm following you on Facebook!
Feel free to send me a friend request.
Did you record April? Love that song!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jaunty tune that sticks in your ear Amp - good on you!

D
Old 02-26-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Hope you are all keeping well! Congratulations on those first 3 weeks, Canguy! Like Inc says, there's a lot to look forward to if you can stick with this!

Thanks for the feedback on the song! Feels good to be working on something again. I haven't recorded April as we're pretty much recording stuff that was in the pipeline when I left the band. There were some good.songs and the band is already familiar with them. Either way, I may just practise April on my own and run off a solo version of it in the studio. Maybe it could go on the back of the album as a bonus track. I'd like to record it. I may ask a friend who is a violinist to play on it. That could work...

I've brought my family over to the Algarve in Portugal for a few days. We have Monday and Tuesday off so we're making the most and fitting in a short break. It's only a few hours by car from where we live, but it's a different language and time zone. Also the gastronomy and culture are really different. Going to another country always makes for a good break for me.

We ate out at a restaurant last night and my wife had a glass of the local wine. Last time I came to Portugal I was still drinking. I can remember really enjoying the distinct character of the wines here and said as much. She asked if I still miss it and for maybe the first time I was truly able to tell her that I didn't. At least not at that time

Anyway, time for breakfast! Have a great Sunday all!