Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 12

Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hey, Inc! Congrats on getting the job done! Sounds like a monumental effort. May day today which is a national holiday so I'm out in the countryside taking it easy trying to recharge the batteries after an emotionally testing weekend.

Feeling better today. Spoke with my Mum yesterday. She's refusing to take medication because she believes it is linked to early onset of dementia. I asked her that if she felt it was better to put herself in a situation where she was potentially a risk to herself. She changed the subject. Like Inc says, it's no use trying to fix things for people, or even show the way if they don't wish to see it. We, of all people, understand that.

Thanks for the support, guys.

Take care!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
it's no use trying to fix things for people, or even show the way if they don't wish to see it. We, of all people, understand that
Amen to that brother. Amen. As awesome as it is being sober, as bad as it was being drunk all the time, as much as being a drunk screwed up my life, I wasn't able to get sober until I wanted to be sober more than being drunk.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on getting the move done Inc!

I think learning that we can't fix things for other people is one of the bigger lessons that I have learned in sobriety. It's taken all that I have just to fix myself!

Have a great day all!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Do yourself a big favor and pop on over to YouTube and search Eckhart Tolle. Find a video that catches your fancy, and go for it.

Ive been listening to some of his stuff and find it empowering.

I'd live to hear what you listed to and your thoughts.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I will try to check it out when I get a chance.

Inc, are you still doing SMART meetings?

Back to work on my Monday today. Had two beautiful days off working in the yard, as well as shopping and laundry and all the usual. Very cool this morning, in the low 40's. Certainly did not want to get out of bed.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

No SG. Funny you ask because I've been giving that thought. Between getting my resume to something that doesn't make me puke, moving, and work, I haven't had the time. But my thoughts are that I know that's just an excuse. I'm just not making it a priority.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Hey guys! On my way out the door to the recording studio. Just thought I'd drop a line to say that I'm keeping up with you guys even though I haven't posted so much recently. Hope you are all well. Anyone heard from Cauliflower recently?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day Amp

D
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope you had a good day at the recording studio Amp! You need to make some music to get your head in a better place after the stress of dealing with your mum.

I haven't heard from Cauli either. I know she is a busy lady these days. I hope she continues to drop by occasionally. I miss her insight and stories.

How is the liquidation going Inc? How much longer will you be working at your current employer?

Have a good night all!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Good deal Amp! What I appreciate the most Amp, is how you conquered that trigger. And is it fair to say you also made it into a tool for ling term recovery and an outlet for stress? If so... You've got to admit, that's one heck of a feat brother.

SG... Going good. Last day is 5/31. We're done receiving freight finally. All product in warehouses, which of course was far more than what stores had, was shipped over the past few weeks. Normally we sell from the warehouse using displays on the floor, except for smaller items of course.

Now it's all about presentation and condensing. We're doing good and considered the best store by the liquidation manager overseeing our market. Trying to figure out how to get that on my resume...lol.

On the resume front, a fellow manager had received feedback on how to format resumes by a recruiter so it will get recognized. After he made the changes, he got 3 hits in one week! One of which told him that his resume stood out in a pile.

He sent it to me and it does look fantastic. Way better than mine. It has a minimalistic approach. Which makes perfect sense given that the millennial generation is now in hiring positions.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's good that your are getting resume tips Inc. You have to figure that there will be a lot of talent flooding the market with your company's closure. It is very odd to think of the millennial generation as the one doing the hiring. Gone are the days when they were twenty or thirty years older than we applicants were.

Dee, I have a question. I see that the forum online count record was set a few days back at 7200 some folks. That broke the old mark by nearly 5,000 folks. Was there some kind of SR awareness day or site promotion that day? Just curious.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-05-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I'd agree as an employer that a good resume can make a huge difference. Personally, lately I'm as much interested in personality as qualifications. Both things have to be right so that I get the right dynamic in my team. I'm always interested in stuff like charity work, interesting hobbies and so on. If you get people talking about something they're enthusiastic about, you're much more likely to get an insight into what that person is really like instead of the usual interview spiel...

Graphically a good resumé is important too. Poorly written or untidy CVs are much less likely to get a look in. This is a first impression and we all know there's only one chance at that. Personally I like a good mission statement too but maybe that's not the done thing anymore!?

A good session at the studio yesterday. It is remarkable that what was once a trigger is now therapeutic!

Happy Friday all
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Late night at work. It was Cinco de Mayo, which recently has become an excuse for young Americans to drink heavily. Like they need any more reasons.

Have a good day today all.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I never needed an excuse to drink heavily though the chance was often a fine thing.

It's funny sometimes looking at an alcohol-fuelled society when the scales have fallen from your eyes. I often ask myself what I was thinking of, day after day, week after week, but, of course, I wasn't really thinking too much because I was letting my AV drive the train...

Just got a pre-mix from the studio of the song we've been recording over the last couple of days. It's called Only Kindness and is about a relationship bust up.

I wrote it before I got sober and it has this killer lyric in it:

I know my attitude's unwise, I've just been drinking all the time
Skate my days away on life's thin ice but I'll be falling through 'fore the weather turns nice.

The song is full of insecurity, self-effacement and victimism. It reminds me that I have come from a very dark place!

Good song though. Hope you guys enjoy your Saturdays even if you are working today.

If you want to hear the pre-mix you can grab it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0CQs2cceeT5WU1zbWdJenVnTkk/view?usp=drivesdk
Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Super cool amp. Super cool. Funny thing is, I've been thinking of ways to get my internal story out as well.

Lately, I've been listening a lot to people who talk about now. Our presence. What brought us to today. What was the purpose? Some pretty deep stuff.

Gives me a whole new perspective. Perhaps I could use my difficult journey as fuel for an enlightened and inspired life going forward. I've learned so much, and I want to share it.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Hitting Day90 today. I remember joining this class and making 90 days an immediate aim. Took a while.....

All the best
Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Canguy - thats a really great milestone

D
Old 05-06-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Way to go Canguy! Three months is quite an accomplishment.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:25 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

90 days is a big one Canguy! You're really on the way now. I promise that the time will come when it becomes easy 99% of the time!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Congrats Can!

Keep it rolling buddy. I recall 90 days feeling good, but still had its struggles.

Just think back to the differences you've experienced in those first 90 days, and how much better you feel.

I recall getting tired of fighting the AV around this time. I found my approaches were getting aged and less effective.

This is a great time to start looking at things differently. This is when my mindset changed from quitting to starting. And that was a huge shift that had momentum for several months.

Train your brain to think you're just starting. Start to grow your meditation, start to exercise, start to improve your diet, start going to bed early and waking early, start reading, start exploring, start a new relationship with the universe.

START BEING YOU! The REAL you.

Here's something that I found super useful too... Google "30 day discipline challange"

That's a great place to start.