Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 12

Old 03-14-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Inc, your moving thoughts got me thinking back to when I was little, lots of people were still picking up and heading out to California. It seemed like I lost a friend or two every year in grade school. The bloom certainly has come off that rose over the past forty years. Carolina has a bunch of northerners moving down to warm up, and a bunch of Floridians moving north to cool down. I haven't been there in twenty some years, but it seemed a few folks were still fighting the Civil War. The state has seen huge migration in since then. When my company started opening stores in the state, the transfers were shocked to be able to buy a 4 bedroom house with two acres for $225k. Any other areas you are checking out? I agree, the Midwest is dry and done.

I just downloaded "Quit That!" which tracks minutes, hours, days, weeks, $ and all that for my phone. The one I used initially dropped out of the app store, so I was just using a generic day counter previously. It says that I am at 99.7 weeks, almost a 100 weeks. I dunno, in some ways I feel that it's been like 500 weeks since I last drank. It's still a pretty cool number. A couple days shy of 700. They keep adding up!

Congrats on 700 OMD!

Do any of you have any plans for your second anniversaries? I know we talked about year one a bit, but I can't remember if anyone did anything special. I was still very private about my sobriety with everyone, even close family back then. I am definitely more upfront about it now among chosen people.

My goodness Cauli, our towns are the same temperature currently, only because of a severe winter blast currently going through here currently. Does your lake freeze over during the winter, or is it too deep? How is your business going?

Have you done any more recording Amp? My brother in law just drove 12 hours straight down to Nashville to lay down some drum tracks for someone and drove 12 hours back a day later. Old school musician.

Have a good night all!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hey guys!

I'm back into the studio this afternoon and tomorrow to begin work on the second track for the album. I'm looking forward to it as it will mean some respite from a week from hell at work.

I have a group of clients who are threatening to take legal action as they feel that they were not made aware of our special offers for 2016-17 and have thereby lost out to the tune of 7€ each (I wish people would read what they sign!!). In the end I have managed to pacify the situation by bringing out another parallel offer that they can take advantage of. It goes against the grain as I feel that they are 100% in the wrong but if you look at the situation, whatever I do I lose money as I would lose business if I didn't try to keep the clients happy and I am sure that these people would try to damage the reputation of the business. On the other hand, by finding a solution I only lose money (albeit money we don't have right now) but our reputation is left in tact. The problem with social media as a business is that your clients can hold you to ransom as they have power over reviews and negative content. A bit of a nightmare.

I've also had to lay off two good people as of June. I gave them notice yesterday. Really draining and upsetting.

So anyway, in the wars a bit... I haven't really given much thought to 2 years. Sobriety is not the new normal anymore, it's just normal normal. For that I am very grateful.

Yesterday I read:
"Past: Thank you for all the lessons.
Future: I am ready"

Keeping positive and fighting the corner!

Stay well!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad you can take some time in the studio Amp to clear your head. So sorry that your work has become so draining.

Keep on being positive and hopefully the difficult decisions you are making today will bear fruit down the road for you.

Best wishes to all!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello!
Been on the road the past week or so. Usual stuff. Anyway, am catching up and this weekend I will get fully caught up. Things ok. Totally clean apart from some empty carbs. No time to even think about that being too bad to be honest. I'm not beating myself up about it. So SG I have not had that moment of introspection yet on the upcoming 2 years.

Sorry to see you've got work challenges Amp. Just give them a discount against future business. Social media has a lot to answer for. By the way, are you going to have to get a Spanish passport, with Brexit?

Right, hope all well with you all. Have a great weekend!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome back home OMD!

How are things going with work Inc?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hey OMD! Hope you are keeping well!

Hope all of you are having a good Sunday.

In answer to your question, OMD, I've been considering taking Spanish nationality but until the UK leaves the EU I can't get dual nationality so would have to renounce my British nationality. That's something I'm reluctant to do as it wouldn't fit right with me and might mean that my kids wouldn't have the opportunity to live and work in the UK in the future if they wanted to do that.

Tricky times. Noone knows how all this is likely to pan out.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Difficult decisions to make Amp. Hopefully, you will not have to make that choice.

First day of Spring! Have a great day all!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Sorry to see that, Amp. Hopefully they will cut some kind of deal - there must be a lot of Spanish in the U.K., and Brits in Spain, which would be a good political deal for both countries. What a mess . That said, seems like things are going well for you personally - back in the studio etc. which is great to see!

SG - what's new at your end? I hope the sun has come out for you recently, literally and metaphorically.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks like the exit process is underway Amp - hope it helps.

D
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Amp, I hope there is some rationality to the exit process for all involved. It's sad to see the political wave roll back generations of progress in unifying Europe.

Got a late night phone call from my sister yesterday saying that my father was taken by ambulance to the hospital because he was vomiting blood.Thankfully, I only live a half hour drive from them, so I can help drive my mother back and forth to the hospital. He is getting a blood transfusion and will undergo numerous tests to see the cause. I am always wary with my folks being in their 80's, as any issue is amplified when health issues occur.

OMD, we are bouncing back and forth between winter and spring almost every day this week. Though it has been a relatively mild winter, I am always happy to see it in the rear view mirror.

Inc, how are things going on the job and moving front?

Have a good day all!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I wish I had more time to post details. In the meantime, I want to let you know that I am under massive pressure at the moment.

A negative Facebook post, which references my name and picture, was made with lies that has hurt the company that I work for. This post has been shared over 50k times. It might be up to 100k now, I'm just too sick to follow it.

Meanwhile, yesterday, I discovered written statements from some of my associates which state I am unfit to be a general manager. Indicating that they are looking to fire me.

There's a lot at play with many more details. I am waiting a call back from a lawyer now.

Very, very stressful. Little sleep in the last two days. My nerves are beyond shot. Alcohol would calm me down and help me sleep. But I know without a doubt, that it'll eventually out me in a worse place. And I don't think I can handle worse.

So far, my quit is strong. SG... I will be reaching out to you when time allows. I want to set myself up with a quick help line, if you don't mind. Figured it would be good to talk before I need to call in emergency.

I'll be back with more info when I have more time.

Thank you guys for being here.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Omg Inc!!! Sounds horrendous!! Don't have time to answer in depth now but remember​ that stuff goes viral for about 5 minutes and is then forgotten. Try to meet 1 to 1 with your superiors and make sure they understand your point of view very clearly. Recent events would suggest that they rate you and will hear you out.

You're right about alcohol. It would be the worst possible response.

I wish you all the best in the world.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

inc- do not drink- post instead.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I always know when you are in deep stuff when you go silent here Inc. Social media is such a dangerous weapon in the hands of fools. I don't spend much time on FB anymore, and no longer talk politics or anything at all involving my work. Definitely sounds like you are being set up. Good move contacting a lawyer. It's hard to imagine that you are suddenly unqualified to do your job after getting two promotions recently. You have my number. Text or call me whenever you want!

One day at a time...
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

There is truly nothing to prevent a customer from posting any kind of outrageous lie about you and your company or me and mine on social media and having it go viral. A lie oft repeated becomes fact. It will be easy for your company to make you a scapegoat to appease a social media outburst causing bad publicity. Hopefully, your company will do the right thing and have your back in this situation.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Social media can be a nightmare. We recently had a woman sign up for a language course and decide after four lessons that it wasn't for her. She hadn't paid for the lessons but she had paid a 25€ enrolment fee when she signed up.

When she decided to leave we generously told her that we wouldn't charge her for the classes but she said that she also wanted her enrolment fee refunded. When we explained to her that that wasn't refundable (which it clearly states in he contract she signed) she lost the plot and started accusing us of everything you can imagine (and some you probably can't). She slated us on social media to the extent that we had to close down one of our accounts. My lawyer recommends just paying these people off, and he's probably right, as the damage they can do is astounding.

It seems to me that social media is totally out of hand, acting as judge and jury all rolled into one. People can be fickle and full of envy and anger which they often take out almost at random over perceived injustices. I sometimes have "stop the world, I want to get off" moments when it comes to the internet!

Please keep us informed on how things shape up, Inc!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
OMD

Thinking about you, Inc. Now is the time to keep it together my friend. We're here - heed the good words of wisdom from all your friends - everyone has only your best interests at heart.

Stay clean and while it's difficult to imagine, like everything else this storm will blow over and the sun will shine again for you. Anything we can do, just shout.

All the best

OMD
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes for your dad SG.

Inc, I had some ridiculous stuff follow me around way back in usenet days.

As trite as it is to say it, the truth will always out, and people forget and move on to the next thing.

Stay focused on yourself and your recovery.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

InC......shocked to read that. Really admire the way you're handling it....very cool.
Can only offer support here......but you've been through a lot to get to this point and can handle it.

All the best, will watch for your next posts
Old 03-24-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I posted something similar to this on another thread. I think that once I quit drinking, I thought that the world would be all rainbows and unicorns and nothing bad would really ever happen to me. Wrong! Life is just life, full of good and bad. It is just now we no longer try to alleviate the pain by drinking ourselves stupid. I think being rational and sober will allow each of us to ultimately ride the dangerous waves we are on, and come out ok in the long run.

Like the old saying goes, " It's always darkest before the dawn."

Hang in there everyone!