Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

when I started WB even tho I nearly killed myself forever was too scary for me. So I committed day by day - and made sure I backed up that commitment the following day.

after a long string of days behind you forever doesn't seem so scary anymore - plus I found I really wanted to be sober - I preferred me and my life that way
Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Feeling so much more relaxed and calm than earlier. And that's without the drink :-)

In fact I think I'm feeling the best I have felt for a long time (months), so I'm going to enjoy it, as I know the roller-coaster ride will carry on for some time yet.
same here micheal, ive had an oddly crave free day
Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
Hello all. Checking in day 3 without booze AND cigarettes! Whaaaaat. I've been chewing some nicotine gum here and there, seems to work alright.

Went to hot yoga this am, cleaned my apartment and got rid of a bunch of clothes I never wear. Went to the place I work to grab some lunch and visit coworkers, now I'm at the library. I KNOW I should really go to an aa meeting tonight. I need to. Why am I so hesitant??? They're all scheduled so much later in the day, for people with normal work schedules haha.... gonna go grab a coffee and chill with my books for a bit. Try to convince myself to get my butt to a meeting.

I just wanted to say I'm greatful for everyone's posts here
I was listening to my favourite podcast yesterday (That Sober Guy), and he said that when you most feel like not doing something, then that feeling of resistance is probably a pretty good sign that you should get off your bum and do that thing (e.g. go to a meeting) Definitely rang true with me, haha. I got into a terrible habit of putting important things off when I was drinking - getting much better about it now I'm sober though (not 100% perfect, but much improved!)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh, and I'm on day 13 now - Friday the 13th here in New Zealand! Feeling a bit sluggish, but that's because I'm on the decaf coffee. I also need to get better at getting my butt out of bed in the morning. I actually woke up early, and went back to sleep, which is daft, as it just makes me feel rubbish (though nowhere near as rubbish as waking up with a hangover)

Getting through a bit of work today, then off to watch a basketball game tonight. I don't anticipate any alcohol cravings/triggers. In fact, bad food cravings are likely to be more prominent - especially as my hubby is likely to want a hotdog or something. I'm making a big effort to stop unnecessary/emotional eating, and basketball games are definitely danger zones as far as that goes! Might need to take a giant bottle of water with me or something!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Ialso have avoidant issues (among others), so simple things like using the phone to call someone can be very difficult, and letting myself be vulnerable by posting when I'm in trouble is also difficult, but I'm going to try to do that if I'm having trouble.
I'm with you there! The good news is, having to face my fears about doing those things completely takes my mind off of any cravings I may be having lol

Zufrieden
Glad to have you hear! No need for excuses, I think most of us have been in your shoes. Just happy to see you come back.

Pinky1 Welcome back!

dontburntheday
I don't work normal hours but I do seem to favor the lunchtime meetings, and it may vary meeting to meeting but we get lots of people about 10 minutes after we start and lots of people who leave about 10-15 before we're done. Better half a meeting than no meeting at all!

thisibelieve I think my AV is trying to get me to smoke so that after I do that it can get me to drink. It's really pushing me today! I have an e cigarette though that I'm using when it gets really bad. There aren't any day time meetings near you? I prefer the morning or midday ones as well, but I'm lucky to live somewhere I have that option.

Sparkos happy to see you here, even if it's just a short hello!

Cassandralee It's good that you know Friday is a trigger. I know the weekends are for lots of people. There should be a weekend thread popping up sometime today that stays VERY busy all weekend long - you should join it just to be extra safe!

Welcome Ashleyg!

Whiskey, just wait until February hits and you'll be so busy doing the math to figure out how many days you have you won't even be able to think about drinking Really though, like Dee said, one day at a time is how many people who are sober get as much time as they do. If I try to think about any part of my life as 'forever' it can seem overwhelming, not just the drinking bit.
I can definitely do it for the rest of the day though. I'll deal with tomorrow when it gets here I'm glad you shared that! I'm sure many of us are feeling the same way right now.

Michael66
glad you made it past those cravings! That would have been so sad, if you had decided to drink, and missed what turned out to be one of your best days. I like the stories like that, reminds me why I'm here in the first place.

BbyB
bad food was always my downfall at games. Here in LA you can get 'all you can eat' tickets for the Dodgers. It's a certain seating section where hot dogs, nachos, etc. are free the ENTIRE game. Ugh, I feel sick just thinking of the last time I sat in that section haha

All is good so far for me today. It's been raining a ton here, which is good in the long run, but unfortunately at some point I had to suck it up and go outside to work anyways. It hasn't been too cold, so I haven't gotten sick, but it's so much more enjoyable to stay in bed and read a book when it's like this! It should be clearing up tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing some sunshine again. The cravings were worse today than day 1 and 2, but I seem to remember that from my first go around at this. The good news is, it doesn't matter if I have a craving every 5 months or every 5 seconds. This time I'm staying sober for good.

I hope you're all having a lovely sober day!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Love your all inclusive posts Site1q84.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks Sparkos!

There was someone who did it in the first class I was in on here and I could see how much it helped him. I think it helps me too! Keeps me involved and my mind focused on something other than drinking
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a good night. Im feeling the usual frustration and depression that comes with being on day 2. I realize Ive got to battle through this and I never have to feel this way again. I ran into this guy at an AA meeting I know and I feel like he snubbed me. Im reeling a little bit. Got to stay the course. There's no reason to drink.

Im glad so many of you are doing well and determined not to drink. I want to get past all these feelings of lonliness, guilt, shame, regret, fear, rejection, anger etc. you name it! Drinking is not the answer
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Gosh it's tough isn't it? When I have no cravings I can't imagine wanting a drink and then AV becomes so strong all I want to do is swallow a bottle of wine in 10 minutes. Which is not normal drinking I know.
I'm now just trying to pretend it's not my cravings! It's happening to someone else and I am just going to ignore them. I'm not gonna drink so don't know why I would want to.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Here to join.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Day 3 success wishing everyone another great 24, hope to have some time to catch up with you all more tomorrow! Good night all!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hi David! Welcome!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Night 2 for me. Much harder than yesterday and omg as the evening goes on, more and more stressful situations keep popping up, it is unreal !

Been fighting cravings since very late afternoon / early evening and fighting them off successfully. At the moment, even though I want wine or beer, I also really don't because I know where it's gotten me and it is nowhere good.

So...difficult night but hanging in.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
hi jan class. Lots of good post here.

Im having a problem with the finality of saying im done for life. Even though i really should be done for life. Because im no good on the sauce. So im all happy that i make it each day. And im thinking the end of January is around the corner. But im really lying to myself.

I cant believe i even typed that out to you. But there it is.
Thank you everybody for the encouragement. One day at a time does sound like a plan. I need to use this one month to do some soul searching and really figure out why one month is ok but two isn't.

I played hockey today and went with the lads for some wings. Everyone ordered wings and beer. I had a Coke. I didn't even flinch. Drove back home sober. But I would have had a really hard time doing that next month. Its a mental thing. Setting days. Counting days.

Like Dee says: I need a plan!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome David

D
Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hope all are doing ok. I agree with the ' I don't want to do this- so I probably have to do this' comment.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Home now with tea and snacks. Starting to feel very relaxed. I'm over the craving.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 5
I really can't get to sleep at a decent time, so I can cope with everyone off on their sleep game. I've been staying up in my bed as early as 7am until I finally get a few hours of sleep in. I really feel like the unhealthy food I'm eating day in and out plays a crucial role in my depression and sleep patterns. I just don't have enough motivation to get myself to eat healthy, plus money is always an issue. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom and encouragement.

"And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he didn't suck out of it, it sucked out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn't know him."
Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Dude.
Good to hear from you.
Is that Sisyphus in your avatar?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Recovering

Day 14. First good nights sleep last night, so feeling good :-)

But I also know that the time I feel good can also be the time that I have the desire and 'energy' for a large amount of beer. So vigilance turned up to 11. I won't drink today.